back to article But... I... like... the... PAIN! Our secret addiction to 'free' APIs

Yahoo! is killing off several services to focus on "search, communications and digital content", it's said. Wait, Yahoo! has a search engine? Who knew? What Yahoo! won't have in the very near future is a developer favorite by the name of Yahoo! Pipes. Yahoo! Pipes has always been something of an odd duck, not just within the …

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Asked and answered

And the point of this article was? It highlighted a problem, explained why it happens, pointed out the alternatives have flaws, and then stopped.

1. tony72

Re: Asked and answered

"And the point of this article was? It highlighted a problem, explained why it happens, pointed out the alternatives have flaws, and then stopped."

Sounds like it was complete. What, you want a cliffhanger or something?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

The ending just disappeared!

1. theblackhand

The ending had not been maintained for some time and a decision was made to close it for free users.

It is still available for customers paying for premium access to stories.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

And the point of this article was? It highlighted a problem, explained why it happens, pointed out the alternatives have flaws, and then stopped.

Sort of like Google's APIs.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

And open-source projects are ultimately just as vulnerable to disappearing.

No they aren't. You can put someone from your team on it and fork away. How hard is that? Not enough skills? You have another problem.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On a similar note Facebook appear to be giving app developers notice to update to their new API. Developers must make changes to request the old API - and apparently it will only be available for a transition period of 2 months.

One of the benefits of an OO world was supposed to be the potential for provision of parallel version interfaces to avoid rewrites every time the current object interface changed.

1. Ilsa Loving

Not an OO world

Unfortunately, we're not living in an OO world. But that isn't even the problem. The issue is that solutions to these sort have already been devised a long time ago, but the new wizbang generation of developers dismiss 'old tech' out of hand because it's old, preferring instead to reinvent the wheel over and over again. Ultimately, these reinventions are of lower quality than the older stuff for the same reason... New developers insist that they know better than older developers and so go onto to make the exact same mistakes that old developers did.

Now where's my cane.... and get off my lawn ya damn brats!

1. Madeye
        Trollface

Re: Not an OO world

*strokes beard thoughtfully while sucking on a Werther's original* Abstraction of interfaces to avoid hard dependencies on third party software is a concept that predates OO by some considerable time span. It is as applicable to attempting to make an application run on both X and MS Windows in 1992 as it is to switching web apis in 2015. It's just that the latest crop of young whippersnappers are too lazy and too caught up in instant gratification to craft around such pitfalls..

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Not an OO world

Abstraction of interfaces to avoid hard dependencies on third party software is a concept that predates OO by some considerable time span

Here's a computing-folklore debate: how far back does it go?

Clearly abstraction in software development was a concern in some sense at least as far back as LISP (1958), and arguably for FORTRAN (original design 1954, implementation a couple years later) and AUTOCODER (first implementation 1955). AUTOCODER, for example, introduced the idea of assembly macros, which are certainly an abstraction mechanism.

But when did programmers start saying, hey, it'd be a good idea to create interfaces that abstract away from implementation details in other components, to insulate us from changes to those components? According to El Wiki, JOVIAL introduced the idea of separate data definitions used by multiple components (the "COMPOOL") in '59. Early FORTRAN and COBOL had some concept of modularity (FORTRAN subprograms and COBOL programs), but there wasn't much abstraction - it was basically a matter of "switch control flow and fire some data at the recipient and hope our definitions match".

Simula introduced OO encapsulation in the late 1960s. So we can probably say that the idea of using abstraction to insulate a program from changes to its partners originated in the mid- to late-1950s, and was elaborated during the 1960s.

So, roughly speaking, we can say that programmers who haven't learned that are about half a century behind the state of the art.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge

On a similar note Facebook appear to be giving app developers notice to update to their new API. Developers must make changes to request the old API - and apparently it will only be available for a transition period of 2 months.

Again? I did Facebook devslopment in a previous life... The old API was replaced with FQL, then the transition to iframes and the removal of FBJS.. Then FQL was replaced with graph... Somtime around then, authentication was switched to oauth2 etc...

Never again!

5. DrXym

It's too bad about pipes

I've never heard about it before now but it seems like it was a useful service. I've had need to produce an aggregated RSS feed and it sounds like this service would have saved me a lot of effort.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's too bad about pipes

I never used pipes but it seems like Node-RED does a similar type of thing (http://nodered.org/)

Disclosure: I work for IBM who made Node-RED although am completely unconnected to it other than working in the same location as the developers

2. kinhell

Re: It's too bad about pipes

Absolutely; I used to to do that kind of thing all the time with the minimum of fuss. I liked the fact I could use it to tidy up elements within the feed & have them output exactly how I wanted them.

6. Detective Emil

Report of Silverlight's death is an exaggeration

[Microsoft] has killed off Silverlight

I don't think so. Despite the awful smell (which to be fair, was there all along), and much speculation, there's been no official announcement that I can find.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Report of Silverlight's death is an exaggeration

Actually, it's reports of its life that are an exaggeration.

Nothing I use anywhere is based on Silverlight. No web site I use makes any mention of it. I'm sure there are some out there, but they're beyond my horizon. It might as well be dead for all I see of it.

1. Andrew Jones 2

Um...... Netflix as of 2 or 3 months ago was still using Netflix.......

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Nothing I use anywhere is based on Silverlight. No web site I use makes any mention of it.

Thanks! I always find your personal anecdotes are compelling evidence for the general case. Indeed, when faced with any question, I simply ask myself, "What does Monett say?".

2. Amorous Cowherder

For something reeking of it, they still seem intent in leaving it to fester out in the open, the SDK is still being thrown in as an installable option in the new VS2015.

1. asdf

>they still seem intent in leaving it to fester out in the open

ie. the OpenSSL deprecated for 15 years apis that are still available.

7. Andrew Jones 2

This is the main reason I won't touch any Home Automation product that has the ability to be controlled from a website or uses the web for the logic for timers and stuff.

8. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    FAIL

They aren't "APIs", they are free data services.

The API was merely a route to the underlying data feed. Twitter's "API" was actually a connection to the tweet firehose - the users were thus making money (or VC funding) from mining somebody else's data.

There won't be an "open source equivalent" because the data behind the API was the point.

It's about time that folks stopped treating Facebook, Google, Twitter and all the rest as part of the fixtures and fittings of the Internet (like DNS is) and realise that they are actually commercial services - albeit very pervasive ones.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Amorous Cowherder

Re: They aren't "APIs", they are free data services.

While I can't see FB going anywhere soon, there's a hell of a lot of website using FB as an authentication mechanism. I'm sure FB reaps in too much personal info from these auth requests to shutter that service but as you say, it's still not a good thing to rely on services like FB for this sort of thing.

9. asdf
    FAIL

Yahoo lol

>"build it (or buy it), ruin it, shut it down" business strategy

Except for the only value add thing the company has done in the last decade which was to buy a big stake in a Chinese company which at one time comprised of almost the entire value of Yahoo. Good thing Jerry spurned Microsoft huh?

10. Stevie

Bah!

While Yahoo! happens to be an egregious example of the bizarre "build it (or buy it), ruin it, shut it down" business strategy, but it's hardly alone.

a) Yahoo! is currently in the process of self destructing. Every feature it had that was easy to use and a boon to the community is now an ugly, crufty, unuseable mess, the result of "new vision". It says something when a Yahoo Group, formerly one of the most simple and intuitive web resources ever launched, cannot be used without inducing a migrane and a homicidal rage in anyone with a conventional screen/keyboard. I can't imagine how much worse the whole thing is on a phone because I am in no way tempted to so much as try that route to madness.

2) The quoted line needs tightening. Lose either the "While" or the "but" after the comma.

11. goldcd

Just because nothing happened

Doesn't mean Yahoo haven't being paying for the "VP of Pipes" and his cronies to roam the world first class giving "townhalls" to the unfortunate.

It's so sweet to see people assuming that because no actual work is being observed, it's not being paid for.

12. Christian Berger

It's the same with most hype technology

I mean look at "Windows for Pen Computing", an addition for Windows 3.1 and 95 to allow specially modified software to have hand writing recognition.

13. heyrick Silver badge

There's much ink spilled in the tech press about the "permanence" of things on the web,

I learned this lesson twice, thrice, um...

The first was the biggest. When GeoCities disappeared and all of the stuff hosted there ceased to be. Some of it is on archive.org. A fair amount... just disappeared. Forever.

The second? Smaller. If you are browsing YouTube and you see a song you like that isn't an official or Vevo release, I'd recommend you download it, 'cos it may not be there the next time you look for it - either region locked or simply taken down.

Third? I used to use Google Reader. Thankfully Google's infrastructure is a convenience for me, rather than a necessity. Yes, it would hurt - Maps, Translate, and Docs all have uses and I use them a fair bit (even if just wandering around places I'll probably never ever visit in streetview); but if those went, I'd get over it. Maybe, even, Apple Maps or Bing's effort might get its game together...though I won't hold my breath.

As was pointed out above - any "shiny" that uses an external website for core parts of its functioning will go right back on the shelf. It simply doesn't make sense to put your reliance in the hands of a potentially capricious third party. Changing the API or removing the product? To them it's a business decision. A cost/benefit analysis. They care not how important it is to you. Never forget that.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just free

You can't even trust them with APIs that cost big money. They'll drop 'em, or jack up the price 300% on renewal ...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why we keep 'falling for it'

Developers keep 'falling for it' because

1. A service or API gets launched in a blaze of publicity

2. The senior director who thinks they know all there is to know about technology reads about it

3. They insist that it is built into the product

4. The developers present all the reasons why this is a very bad idea

5. The senior director insists it is built into the produce

6. The developers get on with it

7. The senior director boasts to the other directors that yet again they're ahead of the technological curve.

8. Three years pass and the API is pulled

9. The senior director blames the developers for wasting company resources.

10. the developers produce the email trail.

11. The senior director shuts up about it.

12. Go to 1.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like