back to article NetApp’s Raijin deal was driven by simple value for money

NetApp is supplying Data ONTAP storage for use on an Aussie supercomputer (Raijin), which already uses DDN storage, and we wondered about the whys and wherefores of adding three new hardware platforms and two new operating systems. ”The DDN storage in Raijin is used for fast scratch space, and our global data file system ( …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is there a problem

with that?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hot and bothered?

Does this Raijin deal have you a little worked up, Chris? No matter the anti-NetApp undertone of many of your articles, you can't get around the fact that NetApp is still a great company with some great products.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny That

There's performance and then there's price / performance which when translated means more performance!

Seems like a logical choice to me

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I fail to see

How any other vendor would have supplied what this customer needed in any other regard- in a single platform. The $/perf chosen worked for each workload made the most sense. Keep trolling Chris!

5. JohnMartin

- Disclosure NetApp employee, opinions are mine, not my employers -

The key to this, is that the design for gdata3 is modular by nature. That generates a requirement which matches the E5600 nicely. Each individual E5600 unit can do about 12GB/sec which is more than fast enough for each module. By matching these fast, dense, and very very reliable EF5600 units to the scale out capabilities of Lustre, achieving the 100GB/sec speeds becomes a straightforward engineering exercise.

Minor correction ...

The mention of 100Gb per sec in the article should read 100GB per second

Regards

John Martin

6. Night Owl

What single platform ? And hey, those EF array's DON'T run Data OnTap

Funny, but it seems to me the people making these comments haven't actually READ the article. The primary product being used here is the All-Flash EF series, the brute-force performance arrays NetApp acquired when it bought Ingenio. FAS arrays are being used for - wait for it - home directories, a great use for NAS but hardly revolutionary.

There's no "single" platform here, two completely different products running different OS's, with completely different management, being used for two different purposes.

All vendors give product away from time to time to "buy" market share. The customer usually ends up getting burned on maintenance, or upgrades, or something else, since the vendor has more experience writing contracts than the hapless customer overwhelmed by the "deal" they are getting - let's have a follow-up article in a year and see how happy they are with it (which isn't to say they won't be, just that would be a more interesting story).

I am trying to find an anti-NetApp slant to this article, but aside form El Reg's usually irreverent, tongue-in-cheek reporting style, I don't see it, what are you all complaining about ? If NetApp has been crowing about replacing DDN because of better performance, then kudos for him for sticking a pin in that bag of air. They gave some kit away, that's often how you win reference accounts or deals.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like