back to article Russia's to blame for pro-ISIS megahack on French TV network

Russians may have posed as ISIS in a high-profile hack against a French TV channel, according to French investigators and security firms. France's TV5Monde TV network was knocked off air for around 18 hours in April in the aftermath of a hack attack that also resulted in the hijack of its website and Facebook page. The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That was believeable until the "grammatical mistakes"

As someone who started his foreign language education in Moscow in the 80-es that is the point where I call bull.

We studied 6 hours of English per week in 2nd grade (that equates UK 4th grade), 7 in 3rd and from 4th onwards all subjects except Russian literature in English. Two of my best childhood friends which were attending the French language school were subjected to the same drill. Just in French.

Now the same Saudi sponsors which sponsor ISIS shopping the malware in Moscow and St Petersburgh and supplying broken "North African French" grammar messages is something I find more believable. Bad _WRITTEN_ foreign language in a professional Russian hit written by the Russians - not so much - I have been on the receiving end of their foreign language education for a few years, that is not likely.

By the way, Damascus is in the same TZ as Moscow (GMT+3) and so is Baghdad and Riyadh (+/- different summertime correction). So out of all arguments that is the most laughable one.

1. Simon Harris

Re: That was believeable until the "grammatical mistakes"

Was just about to point out the same thing about the time zones.

And anyway, since when do computer programmers respect office hours?

2. x 7

While your English skills are way way ahead of any foreign language skills I have (or more accurately don't have), the phrasing in your post has enough non-standard forms to mark you out as someone whose primary language is not English. Nothing wrong in what you have said, but just slight unorthodox tautology which gives you away.

I suspect something similar was being suggested in the report

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's right - only Russian is written in Cyrillic, those investigators have nailed it. And all Russian hackers are direct employees of Vlad.

Last October ISIS released video of a group of Kazakh children training with them, along with accurate subtitles in Russian and English. And recently it was reported that the commander of Tajikistan's special forces defected to ISIS.

Other languages that use Cyrillic and have significant populations throughout the Russian Federation: Chechen, Chuvash, Uzbek, Tajik &c.

Might it be that someone from one of these communities might have orchestrated this? The sanctions on Russia are hitting these communities a bit harder than anyone else so perhaps there is further motivation?

But then I keep forgetting that it is the belief of the security services that supporters of ISIS are obviously ignorant benighted idiots who struggle speaking one language.

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Hanlon's razor.

For every 1 jihadi from Western Europe there are 2+ from ex-Soviet Union. What keyboard they are likely to be using is left as an exercise to the reader (hint - it is not going to be Arabic). That and Damascus being the same timezone as St Petersburg.

2. User McUser
    Joke

jihadist propaganda contained in the message were full of grammatical mistakes

At the very least we can eliminates the famed "Grammar Nazis" as the source of the hack...

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Computer malware and scripts that featured in the attack were typed out on a Cyrillic keyboard and compiled during office hours in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

They must have hired a french voyante with a Crystal Ball.

"We suspect that this activity aligns with Russia’s institutionalized systematic “trolling” – devoting substantive resources to full-time staff who plant comments and content online that is often disruptive, and always favourable to President Putin," FireEye concludes.

Favoring President Putin is not be the thing to do, I suppose.

the BBC reports

The BBC also reports a whole lot of crap on the world political situation that is of bereft of much grounding in reality. I notice that the trade union building in Odessa still "somehow caught fire" in that world.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Performing Dogs do not Supply Intelligence nor Creative Direction for Production

Yes, Destroy All Monsters, the BBC has definitely lost the knack of making its propaganda believable and universally acceptable as a viable vital source to follow into brave new future worlds creating command and control of power and energy with words shared and televisualised/audiovisualised. And that failure is down to the sub-prime state and non-state actors it presents and hosts as script monkeys.

Get your APT ACT together, BBC. UKGBNI and brave new future worlds expect.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just as well, then, that us commentards didn't get political or say anything that might have pissed....anybody.......erm................

NO CARRIER

1. This post has been deleted by its author

6. R Callan
    Joke

Of course Cyrillic keyboards are only available in Russia and these highly skilled hackers have never heard of VPNs or anonymous proxies. Also the time stamp of a computer is always exactly the local time.

Please meet me anywhere you like (you are to pay my expenses in advance) because i have some very nice structures for sale e.g. bridges cathedrals castles. Price only on application on site.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like