back to article Ofcom chairman will quit next Easter

Ofcom's first chairman Lord David Currie is to quit next year, the communications regulator has announced today. No replacement has been named. Currie will unplug himself from the best-paid quango in all of quangistan at Easter. He will have completed almost seven years in the job, having started when Ofcom replaced Oftel in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Lets hope...

That they can now become an effctive regulator instead of sitting on their hands 90% of the time.

Ofcoms performance over the last two years has been nothing short of an incompetant disgrace.

2. Paul Stephenson

Teeth

Agree'd, the new blood better have some teeth and give this 'outfit' a good shake up.

3. Lotaresco

Ofcom chair Ofbuggers

Gone, but not missed, I suspect.

4. Jack Harrer

Re: Lets hope...

Of course. But you understand it'll not happen?

They will appoint in NuLabour fashion somebody who has weaker backbone that jellyfish. Just so their friends and associates can profit.

Welcome in UK of the year 1984!

5. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Oh, Goody, Brains for AI Change

"Also today, Ofcom promoted strategy partner Peter Phillips and competition partner Stuart McIntosh to the board. Phillips is an ex-BBC bigwig who flogged its Broadcast unit to private investors in 2005. McIntosh has a background in "boutique" management consultancy and is a former BT and IBM economics brain."

Hoover type management? I wish them well.

6. Andy ORourke

I wonder......

if he'll turn up on the board of Phorm or even BT?

7. dervheid
    Joke

Expected improvement...

absoluely ZERO!

joke Icon - Joke regulator!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Will they have the sense ...

to hold a proper ELECTION voted by members of the public for candidates required to lodge LEGALLY BINDING election pledges?

Or will they appoint yet another "can't be bothered to deal with the real problems" man?

Somehow, I suspect it will be the latter, though clearly the former is well overdue.

9. pctechxp

Market power

Vote with your money, if you are unhappy about BT using Phorm, move to another ISP.

10. dervheid

Not the point.

"Vote with your money, if you are unhappy about BT using Phorm, move to another ISP."

If Phorm et al get away with this, you can rest assured that the overwhelming majority of ISP's will jump on the bandwagon sooner or later. More likely sooner.

"Fat Cat" icon required. Or just a good old "£" , or "$" if you must.

(other currencies are available. consult your financial parasite)

11. Anonymous John

I for one

will welcome our new regulating overlord.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Digital Dividend Sell Off

I'll bet the new appointee won't have the balls to stop the commissionar selling off the freed up bandwidth after the analogue switch off. It's our bandwidth spectrum for the use of public broadcasting; therefore it should be used in a manner that the public want. FTA HD broadcasting. Not sold off to the highest bidder for services unknown.

Paris cos she knows how to give the public what they want on TV :)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

OFCOM - just another leeching quango

All hail the leader of yet another bunch of unwanted, carefully selected from the useless third of our population. Good luck in your new post, presumably somewhere warm and comfortable like phormHQ.

7 years eh? gosh, how time flies when you spend all day sitting on your elbows.

This topic is closed for new posts.