back to article Gonna RUB MYSELF against the WALL: Microsoft's Surface Hub 84" monster-slab

Microsoft will take orders for its ridiculo-sized Surface Hub, a huge wall-mounted touchscreen, from July 1, albeit at hefty prices - but it won't be shipping direct to punters. The smaller of the two debut Surface Hub models is a 55-inch, 1080p-resolution version that Microsoft says is designed for offices, small conference …

1. karlp

Let's hope they get into The Channel

I have a variety of people very interested in this product. Even at these price points it's well within the realm of possibility.

If we have to buy them through a local integrator however, who will charge +150% in markup and installation/training it will be a no go.

To be quite honest, being able to order one from CDW or Amazon will make or break this for the people I know.

Karl P

2. PleebSmash
    Paris Hilton

reasonable

84-inch 4K TV is anywhere from $8,000 to $25,000. A competing 84-inch touchscreen 4K TV from "Music Computing" is over $33,000.

Once bendy OLED prices fall, so will the prices of these giant fondlewalls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: reasonable

Visio 80" 4K TV $3999, 84" LG 4K $5500. No need for OLED for a meeting room, you don't need perfect blacks since meetings are not held in the dark.

No, $25K is not reasonable if you are comparing with TVs. There may be few touchscreen devices of that size, but if the market cares it'll become an option on Visio and LG TVs. Adding touch capability to a TV is pretty cheap if there was a desire for it. I'm sure Microsoft's software solution is a lot more polished than whatever crap the TV OEMs would come up with, of course.

1. PleebSmash

I said bendy OLED, not OLED. Aka thin, flat, not 220 lbs to ship.

1. Steve Knox
          Trollface

Actually the hardware is only 7,000. The rest is licensing for Windows wall edition.

3. hplasm
    Joke

Only in America...

"...the size of the screens is so unusual in today's market that Microsoft couldn't find an existing assembly line in Asia that could handle them."

Because they are specified in inches, rather than metric...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Only in America...

Issues with units is barely scratching the surface!

4. Dan Paul

There are plenty of large touchscreens.......

available. Just add a computer and software. There are also add on touch screens for existing TV's or monitors to make them into "whiteboards".

The real test will be how they integrate all the parts in the Microsoft Surface Hub. Will it have Kinect support too? 3D? That would help some modeling and engineering applications. There is a lot of value in a complete package considering that some software could be more than the cost of the Surface.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There are plenty of large touchscreens.......

I evaluated a number of large touchscreens couple of years ago. Most were spectacularly bad, either very laggy, inaccurate or over-sensitive (picking up touches > 5mm from the surface). I think all were using infrared detection, whereas this appears to use capacitive touch which should be a vast improvement. $20K seems a touch pricey though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: There are plenty of large touchscreens.......

I agree, we have those interactive white boards with projection onto them.

Apart from people using standard markers on them and the joys that brings, they are just crap.

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Not really

it will be a rarified audience that latches onto Surface Hub

I am afraid to disappoint you but that price bracket is the price of a run off the mill HD teleconferencing suite which can do much less than this.

The more interesting part here is software. The teleconferencing part I can see MSFT handling - they already have Skype (for business and normal) and Lync so they can handle that. Whiteboarding and integration of whiteboarding to teleconference they have been able to handle for ages so that is a given. The most interesting part however is on the second promotional photo - 3D modelling. If they can handle that _REMOTELY_ and provide effective collaboration around that with integration to well known CAD and visualization packages they will have full order book at this price and then some.

6. David Webb

Patented

I'm sorry to tell Microsoft this, but Apple have already patented this device, in 2017.

1. Otto is a bear.

Re: Patented

Yeah, but Microsoft has patented Walls already.

(Sorry, no coat icon)

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. John H Woods Silver badge

I'm going to start selling ...

... massive screen wipes!

1. Grade%

Re: I'm going to start selling ...

ShammmmYowzaDeDooodlydoo!

9. yowl00
    Coat

Steve Martin must be hard up.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not even new...but you youngsters wouldn't remember

This is the old Perceptive Pixel display unit, nearly bought one in early 2014. They (PP) were absorbed in 2013 if memory serves.

1. Andy Mc

Re: Not even new...but you youngsters wouldn't remember

no. it's not.

11. Unicornpiss
    Meh

Or I could...

..simply buy a large TV, add a touchscreen encoder (or just do without), and use an Android device that plugs into the HDMI slot, whether a tablet or a Chromecast-sized stand alone device. Or get a short-throw projector that turns any whiteboard into a touchscreen for about $1,800 (or less)

I just can't see the point of spending that much for something that will be obsolete in 3-4 years and offers so little value for the money. (and for that matter, the Surface tablets are not the most stable devices I'm finding--all part of MS's strategy of releasing consumer products before they're really ready.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Or I could...

Or get a short-throw projector that turns any whiteboard into a touchscreen for about $1,800 (or less)

Have you used them? Thought not. They are shit.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good to see they have interns doing the images

Now we want key elements in the frame, doesn't mater if the perspectives are messed up of the lighting screwed just make sure you have equal men women, one bit grey haired, usual list, black asian etc, if you want to really push boundaries have something a bit edgy like ginger hair, oh and sorry for the late request can you pop an Indian in there? doesn't have to be a physical can be just be on the screen.

I want to see a crane outside even though it will hint that the office is floating fifty feet over a warf, that's fine, nobody looking at this with be thinking critically.

On and on the naming, we have surface so this must something a bit grander, Mesa? Plateau? along those lines.

Oh and one last thing my son has asked for this, can you have one of the people pointing at something green coloured that looks like it came from cardif (Wales UK) docks? a bet with a European he met on Minecraft, doesn't beleive his parents work at MS, bogey boat I think he said.

13. spudmasterflex

I currently use and supply the Phillips 65" capacitive multitouch units with 20 point touch for £2200 no lag or IR, bang on a decent spec PC with windows 8 for a £1000 job done.

Appreciate this is 80 odd inches but still.

1. Jedit Silver badge

"Appreciate this is 80 odd inches but still."

Don't forget there's also a 55" version. Useful for the people who are interested in the Surface Wall but would prefer a device that will fit in their pocket.

(What? If you can spend $7000 on a tablet you must have extremely deep pockets.)

14. david 64

...And after all......

@elreg - they'll be missing a big trick if they don't use that song in the marketing!

15. James O'Shea

Errmm...

I do some work as an adjunct professor at a local community college. (And it's a damn good thing that I don't depend on that kind of thing for a living, as the pay is truly pitiful) We have numerous 'smartboard' thingies in multiple classrooms, and they cost a whole lot more than a mere $20k. And they require projectors which do... interesting... things, and their touch technology seems to be based on 1984 HP stuff (except that HP actually got most stuff right in 1984). If this thing is for real, there's a _big_ market for it in higher education.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternatively

Bog standard projector, smart pens with Zigbee or other suitable protocol, and piezo electric sensors clipped to each corner of the screen to detect touch by vibration (plugged into a small ARM powered box). Cost - $500 max?

17. DeeCee

I need this for ... personal reasons

add a robotic holder arm attached to ceiling to hold this thing, that can move it from touch range to tv range

1. Tom 13

@DeeCee

Wouldn't you rather have it done by a giant octopus with frickin' laser beams on it's head.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like