back to article Condoleezza to China: 'The rules' mean cyber-spying isn't allowed

Former US secretary of state Condoleezza Rice says China's plan to use Huawei as a Trojan Horse for espionage has failed and that the Middle Kingdom has learned its lesson and developed a new approach to global commerce, as shown by e-commerce giant Alibaba's operations. “China wanted Huawei to be a big, dominant telco player …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a dummy

Huawei is a BIG DOMINANT Telco player worldwide. Everywhere outside USA.

Dubia's attack dog should actually get some market insights before spouting utter rubbish. There are regions like Africa where they have 75%+ with the remainder being ZTE and any of the usual telco players being either legacy remnants or weird politically driven one-offs. Their market share in PON, DSL and Mobile in Europe is also past the 50% mark in some countries. Asia looks fairly similar too.

1. PleebSmash
      Mushroom

Re: What a dummy

Revenue nearing $50 billion, and most of its revenue is in overseas markets. Sure thing, Condi.

Bleating about Huawei will distract from other cyber-spying revenue killers, right?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a dummy

Condescending Rice.... what can I say... same old rubbish.

2. hplasm
    Meh

Sorry Leezzzeee

You soured your goodwill by your time with big W.

Nobody cares what you think anymore, particularly in the Civilised World.

1. PleebSmash
      Big Brother

Re: Sorry Leezzzeee

It's a speech that would have made sense about 2 years ago to the day, just before the Snowden leaks. But the U.S. blew its chance to paint Huawei as cyber-PLA-evil and now Huawei is raking in the billions on cheap kit. Too little, too late.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. BillG
      IT Angle

Re: Sorry

Her speech, however, was a ringing endorsement of American exceptionalism; the doctrine that the US is inherently different and therefore gets to play by its own rules.

I didn't see that. Condi spoke at the .NEXT Conference, which is an IT conference and so is a discussion about products and technology, not politics. I did see plenty of anti-American sentiment in Simon's article. And certainly calling her "Leezzzeee" is borderline prejudiced, although that may not be understood outside the U.S. Or maybe @hplasm is counting on that as a defense.

Also, from a review of the .NEXT program, none of the speakers at .NEXT mentioned the NSA, or the British equivalent, the GCHQ, who was exposed in 2013 to be vigorously spying on British citizens in a way that makes the NSA look like inexperienced teenagers:

http://mic.com/articles/50333/gchq-the-british-are-spying-on-us-more-than-the-nsa-is

excerpt: "...a slide from a top secret briefing to GCHQ intelligence analysts reveals, they were even encouraged to 'have fun' spying on people and to 'make the most of it.' " Translation: spying for personal gain, while illegal at the U.S. NSA, is encouraged at the U.K. GCHQ.

Was anyone from the UK speaking at .NEXT? Did they criticize the GCHQ? If they did not, wouldn't that be a ringing endorsement of, uh, "British exceptionalism"?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Was anyone from the UK speaking at .NEXT? Did they criticize the GCHQ? If they did not, wouldn't that be a ringing endorsement of, uh, "British exceptionalism"?"

If there were British and spouting about digital security issues without criticizing GCHQ, then yes, that would be British exceptionalism. Same if a Canadian did it without mentioning that we're now a police state, or any Aussie talking about anything security, ever.

1. dan1980

@Trevor

". . . or any Aussie talking about anything security, ever.

Hey - you! We . . . I mean . . . come on, that's not fair!

Oh right. Yeah.

The biggest problem with "American Exceptionalism" is that it is nearly a required stance for politicians and public figures. Any pollie who has the temerity to suggest that the US (as opposed to themselves, personally) has done anything wrong or is less awesome than anyone else in any way is lynched by the media and their oppositions.

The most amusing was of course comes from Fox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo7Fa0r-5Cw

Awesome.

4. Charles Manning

re: "You soured your goodwill by your time with big W."

Nope she's a grown up.

She managed to damage any goodwill she ever had all by herself.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

I can believe her

I mean, her Iraq evidence was beyond reproach.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: I can believe her

But she's still panging the birth of the New Middle East.

2. BillG
      Joke

Re: I can believe her

I mean, her Iraq evidence was beyond reproach.

I think, your statement is lacking facts.

4. Christoph

This is the woman who came over to Europe to deny that the USA were torturing people, and gave a speech that was so ludicrously weasel-worded that it amounted to an open admission that the USA were torturing people.

5. Afernie
    Facepalm

Pot, kettle called..

looking for that paint you borrowed.

"The problem is, nobody really trusts American tech because of cyber-security issues.”

FTFH

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Pot, kettle called..

"The problem is, nobody really trusts American tech because of cyber-security issues.”

This is one reason we spent $150k on Huawei kit instead of Cisco.

GCHQ has already vetted the Huawei stuff.

6. K
    Mushroom

To keep the world safe for democracy

Team America, F*ck yeah!

7. Irongut

Her speech doesn't even make sense.

"The Chinese are finding now that there's a trade-off between wanting to be a global economic player"

A trade off with what? Between wanting to be a global player and WHAT? Finish your god damn sentence woman.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

...and dropping the telegrams from Washington D.C. into the trash w/o reading, evidently.

The "rapprochement" with Russia in particular excites the lifeforms inside the beltway.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

They already are a global economic player, they've got the industry, growth, jobs, the profit, and the surplus while the US has got the minting machines working overtime.

That's probably why the speechwriter couldn't finish off that sentence.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this some sort of world hypocrisy record?

9. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Garbage In, Garbage Out ....

Regarding the failure of the US education system, here is an enlightening article on the matter …… http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-06-09/student-debt-cancellations-begin-government-forgive-36-billion-after-corinthian-clos

And the problem which is always there for dodgy establishments, is to try and ensure that not enough folk learn too much about everything which is going on to be able to extraordinarily render them obsolete and redundant and globally recognised as pariahs worthy of extremely prejudicial action. That, however, is nowadays an impossibility with it increasingly simple to freely register information and intelligence for phishing and phorming.

10. Alan Brown Silver badge

Rolling out the Pacific Fleet

America says it can subdue China by rolling out the Pacific Fleet and thereby keep China out of international waters.

All China has to do to subdue America is block exports for 3-6 months. What are the americans going to do? Invade and _force_ them to be in international waters?

Of course Condee and the neocons all know this, but they're trying frantically to keep the illusion that "Amerika Rules the Waves" etc, in order to keep the great unwashed ignorant pliable and shouting "U-S-A!" instead of actually thinking for themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rolling out the Pacific Fleet

Which was amfm1's point. Some day, I earnestly hope we collectively wake and realize that we don't need "them." They surely need us as any parasite needs a host. Some may someday strive to be a symbiont. I won't be around to see it, if it ever does.

11. Nolveys
    Trollface

Credit Where It's Due

Condoleezza Rice is pretty good, but John Cleese is still better.

12. CAPS LOCK

A director at Dropbox...

... I wonder why?

13. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Every once in a while..

“The Chinese are finding now that there's a trade-off between wanting to be a global economic player. So they've not made that mistake with Alibaba. They are delighted that Alibaba is in the markets and that the IPO was a stunning success. Once in a while they call [founder and chair] Jack Ma and remind him it's a Chinese company – the propaganda people do.”

....a chimpanzee wakes up with a tequila sunrise that needs a coke to stop blinding him, picks up the phone and calls the White House and tells the operator that Syria used to be a hewckuvva good place to sneak people on unmarked aircraft.

14. regadpellagru

"Only 30 per cent of young Americans, she said, pass the US military's basic entrance tests. Failure can be due to medical problems including obesity, tattoos in the wrong places ..."

Really ? Tattoos blocking people from getting into the US army ? WTF ?

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re:WTF ?

"Sorry man - your 'Semper Fi' tat should be on your arm..."

2. Heathroi

They mean Gang tattoos..

"...we can just park the Pacific Fleet there and they get the message " Umm I hear an answer blowing on an East Wind.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems to me what keeps both US and China at bay is the Mutually Assured Destruction of China having so much of its savings (and US debt) in dollars.

Sure Tim Worstall could put us straight on that...

16. smudge
    Big Brother

Least of my worries

“The problem is, nobody really trusts Huawei because of cyber-security issues.”

I have a Huawei phone, but I'm sure that everything I say and do is recorded by at least two national security agencies before it ever reaches the Chinese.

17. JaitcH
    Happy

“The problem is, nobody really trusts Huawei because of cyber-security issues.”

Bollocks! The Cameron government does, after doing a 180 on the matter.

Huawei is quality equipment, mechanically and electronically.

Unlike CISCO, they don't build back-doors in for the US Government.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On a completely unrelated (and not really serious) note...

...I wonder if her Rice's face has been permanently frozen into that scowl so nicely caught by the photo above the article. I think it has been quite a while since I last saw her with a different facial expression.

Re: "nobody trusts Huawei" - mosto of this has already been said by others so let me just add that hasn't there been an article on El Reg lately about Germany collaborating with Huawei to build a national cloud storage service?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like