back to article Apple brews new News news to peruse - screws news dudes

Apple has burned its Newsstand app to the ground, and tried again with a new News application – one that tries to work with all publishers rather than a chosen few. Speaking today at the iOS giant's annual developers conference in San Francisco, Susan Prescott, app product development veep, said News will be added to people's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

The one thing I really hate about newsstand...

...is that it forces magazines to be second class citizens. A cheesy fart app can have its icon prominently displayed on the home screen but a serious newspaper can't.

2. ThomH

iMovie, Keynote and GarageBand are optional installs

You're thinking of Game Centre, Photo Booth, Videos, FaceTime, Reminders, Podcasts, Tips, iBooks...

1. returnmyjedi

Re: iMovie, Keynote and GarageBand are optional installs

...Health, Apple Watch, Notes, Passbook, and - most egregious of all - Stocks. Interestingly the folder into which I unceremoniously lob all these unwanted apps actually named itself "Apple Crap". Probably.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I suspect just about any iOS user has a folder like that "rubbish I don't want but cannot delete".

At least you can stick such apps in a folder, out of the way.

2. Gannettt

My wife call it simply "Crapps".

3. s. pam Silver badge
    Facepalm

Newsstand isn't fit to wrap F&C in

Newsstand has to be the second biggest pile of shite Apple has ever released! It is an appalling Jackboots and Jodhpurs overkill approach to something that should be dead-simple: Show me the magazine/newspaper I have a bloody subscription to. Instead it's yet another memory hogging p-i-g that I have to click through to read.

Good bye to bad SW and I'm not convinced that "News" or whatever the fsck they'll call the new thing will be any better!

4. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like