back to article Cynical Apple says it'll gouge less cash from iTunes strummers' sales

Apple is looking to move from the 30 per cent margin it makes on sales of apps through iTunes, lowering its take to protect the strength of the Apple ecosystem. The Financial Times (paywall) reports that Apple is in discussion with media companies ahead of a launch for Apple’s TV streaming service and curated streaming music …

1. Turtle

80/20. Pareto's 80/20.

"Apple made $10bn from app sales last year and even with the toughness of Apple’s checking and approval procedure, this is a very lucrative revenue stream."

I don't recall the details but I am pretty sure that I remember an article here on a report stating that the vast majority of that income was garnered by a very limited number of apps and devs. It was kind of like the Pareto 80/20 law taken to an extreme.

2. 45RPM Silver badge

What a twatty headline

Why does everything that Apple does have to be cynical or bad in some way? Jesus, if El Reg wants to be taken seriously it should really try being objective- and doing a little more research.

Personally, and I have a vested interest here, I hope that this is so - it would be fantastic news for me. As an app writer, I get a nice income from Apple (and, honestly, even at a 30/70 split it works out very nicely for me - because I don't have to worry about setting up my own ecommerce system, security and so forth - I just need to do what I'm good at. Writing software and banking cheques) - but if I could have 75, 80 or even 85% that would be incredible.

The problem, when trying to make an income in this game, isn't Apple or Microsoft or even Google. It's all the freetard lusers who think that software should be free and that developers don't deserve reward for their efforts.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: What a twatty headline

I feel your pain. As a former Chef of sorts, I remember creating a dish that was unique in its own right. People loved it, and so did other chef cooks in my area. In time, I could no longer charge my initial price per dish.

Our situations are not exactly the same, but similar in essence.

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Cynicism

"Why does everything that Apple does have to be cynical or bad in some way? "

1) I don't know, it just is.

2) Someone has to be cynical, it "balances out" the rabid fanbois on the conventional media that pretend Apple "invents" or "re-invents" every market they belatedly enter, that'll go as far as actually saying Apple can do no wrong, and that, every time Apple pre-pre-announced a product, pretend that it's news but instead of covering it like a news story will just gush about how great whatever it is will be (you should have seen them pre-hyping that stupid watch, like a year before release.. failing to even mention that several vendors already had ones on the market.)

Anyway... yeah, I can't actually be cynical about a company reducing it's cut to try to increase usage.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cynicism

His mistake was in thinking the Reg "wants to be taken seriously". It has always been cynical, and it isn't just to "balance out" things for Apple. For instance, back in 2013 when the media turned against Apple when their stock price fell and many were thinking that Samsung was going to eat their lunch, etc. El Reg was headlined every Apple story with "Peak Apple". Had they wanted to balance things out they would have become less cynical about Apple when the mass media's love affair with them had cooled quite a bit.

To the guy whining about the tone of the article: The Reg is cynical about everyone and everything in IT. Read the masthead for their philosophy if you doubt this. And if you don't like it and you're looking for "serious" news, don't complain, go elsewhere. You'll be happier and the rest of us who like the Reg the way it is won't have to listen to the whining. I've owned an iPhone since 2009 and hold a fair wodge of Apple stock, but I don't get butt-hurt when the Reg makes fun of them. Some people are too damn sensitive.

1. 45RPM Silver badge

@DougS - I know the masthead. I've been coming here long enough. But, rather like incessant swearing, continual cynicism a) loses its impact (meaning that you've nowhere to go when cynicism is actually deserved) and b) gets very very boring.

I want The Register to be great. Not boring.

1. Seanie Ryan

"I want The Register to be great. Not boring."

The Reg will never be great again. El Reg was once good, witty and entertaining, but they seem to have taken that formula and rode it to death, kinda like how they mock others for doing similar. Ironic. Now, as you point out, its boring. the writers now are only capable of repeating the same tired lines and mockery, ad nauseam.

I for one would prefer a return to the Reg i started reading years ago that had good journalism with a nice dose of humour/cynicism. I expect the site to become a Waterford Whispers of IT soon.

Now this is proper humour http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/06/05/apple-ceo-who-forced-new-u2-album-on-world-now-lecturing-about-privacy/

2. 45RPM Silver badge

The watch doesn't float my boat, any more than Nike trainers or a Gucci handbag. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it crap though - especially since some of its users are buying my software. I'm sure it's very useful for someone - so that it isn't my cup of tea or yours isn't very important in the grand scheme of things.

3. Turtle

" I can't actually be cynical about a company reducing it's cut to try to increase usage."

Yeah, you can. But you're doing it wrong.

What they're trying to do is sacrificing their high margins which will result in making the field less attractive to potential entrants / competitors. This way, while their profits will decline, the lower profits will be effectively safeguarded. This strategy is not original with Apple. It's very much like predatory pricing. Apple is maximizing its profits in changed conditions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like