back to article Verizon splits with carrier-led bonking and invests in SimplyTapp

Verizon Ventures has invested in NFC technology company SimplyTapp. What makes this interesting is that SimplyTapp is a cloud-based service using Host Card Emulation (HCE) for the security element in Android phones. Operators have traditionally supported the rival Single Wire Protocol (SWP) standard and Vodafone recently …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This assumes a hotel room that uses NFC cards rather than magstripes (and this is well-used tech as it's used in secure door checkpoints--think HID). In which case using the phone means one less thing to lose (and I've seen plenty of hotel keycards strewn on the street). Sure, the locks can be reset if you lose your card, but that involves going back to the lobby and all that rot.

2. Anonymous Blowhard

"Why on earth would you want to make hotel rooms unlockable via an app on your phone?"

The best use-case I can think of is unattended check-in. I used this recently at a hotel in Oslo, but they let you create your own key-card rather than use a mobile phone; this technique would allow you to get the security token before you arrive and would remove the need for the hotel to manage key-cards.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

One question...

How secure is it ?

Because everytime I read the word "cloud" i'm thinking "insecure as hell"...

3. lukewarmdog

unattended checkin

In Iceland the apartments we've stayed in for the last few years email you a login for the main door then your keys are just in a pigeon hole with your name / room number on it. Simpler times.

My worry is that once you've replaced all your (working perfectly well) cards with an app and you lose your phone, you lose not only all those cards at once but also your ability to phone anyone and report the loss..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like