back to article Dre-stic measures: Apple Beats retreat from iTunes brand – report

Apple has reportedly all but abandoned its iTunes brand after 15 years of using the name for its music service. According to the Financial Times, the iThing maker will unveil Apple Music on Monday at the Worldwide Developers Conference. It's understood that Apple Music will be pre-installed when iPhone customers upgrade their …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    WTF?

You know that a company's got too much money when...

Apparently streaming music files and calling it Apple Music wasn't enough, they also needed to buy Beats in order to not use Beats Music's name.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No FT, no comment

"The Pink'Un"

round these parts, that's the name of the regional newspaper's sport (ie football) supplement.

But that's East Anglia for you.

1. gz

Re: No FT, no comment

Round these parts. the term is used to distinguish it from "The Brown'Un".

;)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marketing madness

Their marketing dept must be insane. The last time I watched a rebrand this daft it was Royal Mail -> Consignia -> Royal Mail (non UK folk: Google it, it's hilarious).

Imagine having a brand name that many would quite possibly kill for. You've had it for years and the whole world knows it and what it's for. Now drop it. Admittedly "Apple Music" uses the Apple brand but I still think it is a really bad move.

Underwear on head and pencils up the nostrils grade of mad. Oh and don't forget the "wibble".

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. John Bond

Re: Marketing madness

"I actually made the effort to refer to it as Consignia during that time and was universally met with confused expressions. Saying things like, "I'll take this parcel down to Consignia and send it off in about half an hour", resulted in, "What? What's Consignia?".

Then you were being ignorant.

Consignia was a corporate brand, not consumer-facing. Neither Royal Mail nor the Post Office lost their names.

Next you'll be telling us that you normally fly with International Airlines Group.

4. Tromos
    Joke

They're sticking with the 70/30 split

But now they want the 70.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slowly moving away from the 'i' naming scheme?

Most were expecting the iWatch or some variation, but it was Apple Watch. Dropping iTunes branding is pretty big if that's really what they're going to do. Will iCloud become Apple Cloud next?

1. VinceH
      Trollface

Re: Slowly moving away from the 'i' naming scheme?

That's what I was thinking.

Perhaps they asked ITV to hand over the name and got told to eff off, realised they didn't own everything starting with i, and so decided to use something they do have the right to instead, and are now starting to rebrand their older stuff for consistency with the new.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If they really wanted the name iTV, they clearly have the cash to own it. I'm not sure that's a very good name anyway...three letters makes it sound more like a company name than a product.

1. VinceH

"If they really wanted the name iTV, they clearly have the cash to own it."

That assumes the current owners would be willing to sell it.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You really think there isn't a price at which they'd sell that name? It isn't like that's a family name or it's a brand name on the level of Mercedes Benz.

1. VinceH

There almost certainly will be a price at which they would be willing to sell it - and you are correct that Apple could very easily afford to offer that price. However, that isn't all there is to it.

Just because Apple could easily afford to pay whatever ITV wants, that doesn't mean the price ITV would be willing to accept is low enough that Apple would be willing to pay it.

Or, flipping that around, it doesn't mean the price Apple would be willing to pay is high enough that ITV would be willing to accept it.

Being able to afford it is only one part of the story.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple Music? Dont make me laugh!

Surely they know that IBM did it better years ago with Lotus Notes?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Michael Habel

I alway called it C Pound...

1. DJV Silver badge
          Trollface

@ Michael Habel

No, that would have been C£ or Clb

1. Michael Habel

Re: @ DJV

# is also a Pound sign. Pound here referring to weight, as in 16oz = 1# (Pound)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"# is also a Pound sign. Pound here referring to weight, as in 16oz = 1# (Pound)"

Is it? Where? I've not seen it used that way before. It even seems like it would take longer to write than lb.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

At least here on the ignorant side of the pond (America) "#" is referred to as the "pound sign" as in "hit pound-6 to mute" when they mean #6

I haven't seen it written as 150# since my grandparents died though.

2. Michael Habel

Its shorthand in the Backing & Pastry Trade when using stupid Imperial Measures... I much prefer Kg's myself. There less math in working out stupid fractions that way.

1. Eddy Ito
                  Facepalm

In the US it gets worse because they then give you a recipe where everything is measured by volume.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

In my almost godknowshowmany years I have never seen # used to signify pounds. lbs and oz are all I've ever seen (until those French grammes moved in next door).

8. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Unhappy

iTunes ain't gonna go away (AFAIK)

iTunes will still be the place where you BUY music.

Applie Music is where you pay to borrow (sorry stream) tunes that you can't be half arsed (or too stingy) to buy.

on an aside, I ventured into the Apple Store n Denver, Colorado (not the hamlet in East Anglia) as I had an hour or so to kill. Not a sign of their new toy, the Apple Watch. No bands nowt. Very dissappointed.

Apple do seem to have cocked this launch up yet they have sold millions of the things.

As an aside, a few doors away was a Sprint shop. They were offering a Samsung S6 for $0 down and no phone markup cost over the two year contract. How much are Samsung paying Sprint to make this happen. Are they even making any money on the devices that are sold this way?

Over here it is all Apple devices (at least in this part of the states) yet some states around here don't even warrant an Apple Store. WTF!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iTunes ain't gonna go away (AFAIK)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Hundred_Foot_Drain,_Denver,_Norfolk._-_geograph.org.uk_-_164730.jpg

"Very flat, Norfolk" as Noel wrote.

Someone also wrote "The Norfolk landscape sends a shiver through my soul...." - I suspect they'd left their coat at home. When the wind do get moving, there's not a lot to stop it.

2. Michael Habel

Re: iTunes ain't gonna go away (AFAIK)

Perhaps not... But, I've been getting my Music from Google Play these last few Years. And, for the most part its ok... iTunes was kinda nice way back pre v4.0 (Just after it hit XP as I recall), right before Apple started sh--'ing all over it! Now its just gotten way to outta hand for what it was indented for. Add to this the lack of drag & drop and... Well 2003, and the iPod was 12 years ago! And, I've moved on!

9. Mystic Megabyte
    Gimp

The secret formula

Why not go the whole Coca-Cola and rename Apple to MegaDodo or something similar?

1. Michael Habel

Re: The secret formula

Why not go the whole Coca-Cola and rename Apple to MegaDodo or something similar?

I think you meant to say InfiniDim Enterprises - We spent millions on that name so start liking it, or start packing!

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: The secret formula

We wouldn't want it to go pear-shaped, would we?

10. Howard Hanek
    Black Helicopters

Apple Sauced

Rebranding ...... because the iTunes brand has become associated with......something that doesn't sell like it used to and is beyond remediation? Wheel granny off the cliff eh?

11. Velv
    Facepalm

"It's understood that Apple Music will be pre-installed when iPhone customers upgrade their mobes to the latest version of iOS."

Yes, because pre-installing shit went so well last time....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep, another pre-installed app that can't be removed - excellent. That folder called "Ignore" is getting pretty full, might need an "Ignore2" folder soon. Current contents:

* Games Center

* iBooks

* Passbook

* Newsstand

* iTunes U

* Apple Watch

* Podcasts & Videos (because the iPod app clearly had an urgent need to split itself out to these seperate apps)

* Maps

Remember when MS got caned for leaving IE as an uninstallable app? How times change...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

MS 'left' IE installed in a bid to fuck with Netscape, which eventually worked. This is hardly the same

2. CrosscutSaw

Hey

Hundreds...wait... Tens of U2 fans disagree with you!

12. chivo243 Silver badge

Rebranding galore

Over the past few years Apple has rebranded just about everything iThing or killed it

iPhoto = Photos

iChat = Messages

iChat video = Facetime

iWeb = deprecated

iDVD = deprecated? who makes home dvd's anymore?

iPod? Do they still sell them? I know some generations are no longer supported...

.mac became me.com became something that became iCloud It would be nice if apple could stay consistant with their naming conventions?!!

and they stopped making the iBook many years ago, but now have a software called iBooks???

And people get paid for this...

1. Michael Habel

Re: Rebranding galore

I think they only sell brain dead iPhones, and call these iPod (Touch'es), now. Anything like my G1 / G3 iPod of the early '00-ies are probably all dead to Apple now.

13. sinister86

I'd say this is happening. I purchased some songs recently and received an invoice from Apple not iTunes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon