back to article ICANN speak clearly now .gay has gone – Council of Europe

An alliance of 47 countries has called on ICANN to respect privacy and freedom of expression when allocating top level domains. The Council of Europe (CoE) has no legal power to force ICANN to change its procedures, but does have official observer status with ICANN's Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC). ICANN (the Internet …

1. Bbbbit

Genius headline

I recommend an immediate pay rise for the originator of that. There should be no more obstacles in their way.

1. frank ly

Re: Genius headline

Gone are the dark clouds that hosted BIND?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Genius headline

Bind still exists? That's so "TLD requested by several applicants that is pending at ICANN" it's sad.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I learn something new....

"The CoE is also concerned that the personal data of domain name holders – such as the name and postal address – is publicly available in the WHOIS online database"

There are REAL names and addresses in there?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: I learn something new....

I hate to break it to you but unless you pass through a forwarding service there better be. Unless you DON'T want to do business. Of course, for a generic shock site that's probably not the goal...

3. Little Mouse
    Coat

"ICANN, as a private non-profit corporation, should respect international human rights law"

I'm confused. Is it the private, "for-profit" corporations that don't have to respect the law, or the public non-profit ones?

Or both?

4. caffeine addict

I'm going to bet that at least half the visitors to whois.gay are going to end up confused, no matter what the content is...

/non-sequitor

5. spot

Hot cake domains

There's going to be a is.gay domain? And a are.gay domain? They'd sell at a premium I expect.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Hot cake domains

How about not.gay or maybe.gay? The possibilities are endless, for extortion at least.

6. Tom -1

"ICANN, as a private non-profit corporation, should respect international human rights law"

That bunch of self-satisfied b**tards don't even respect their own corporate regulations and byelaws, or indeed any regulation which requires them to act reasonably instead of doing whatever they like, let alone international law (almost all of which is in any case not recognised by the USA).

7. James O'Shea
    Trollface

Hmmm...

I really should check to see if ted.cruz.sucks or don.trump.is.gay are still available.

And, yes, we know that hilary.clinton.sucks is incorrect, if that were so Bill wouldn't have bothered with Monica.

8. Version 1.0 Silver badge

I love the new TLDs

It's so easy to block the entire domain now - blacklisting the new TLD's at the mail server has significantly reduced the spam load.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like