back to article Siri, dim the lights and warm us up: First gizmos for Apple HomeKit love-in emerge

The first smart-home products compatible with Apple's HomeKit remote-control software have been announced – and some are even available to buy. Most are smart-home gizmos already on the market but tweaked to be compatible with HomeKit, which allows iOS 8 iPhones, iPads and iPods to control stuff around the house wirelessly. …

1. Irongut

Still no answer to the 64,000 dollar question...

WHY?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Do you have a remote controller for your television set?

If you answered 'yes', then extend that to your lights.

Bedroom blinds that are timed to open before your alarm clock.

A music system that becomes quieter when you recieve a phone call.

A television or lights that blink when the door bell is rung - handy for the hearing impaired.

2. Justin Clements

It's not about controlling things from the couch, it's about the house becoming more automated, and cross function.

We already have a test system running at home using the Lowes system, if an alarm sensor on a door or window shows that it's open and the air con comes on, we get a text telling us that a window or door is open. It used the alarm system sensors to tell us about the heating cooling system. Which isn't techie fun, but actually real world useful.

If a door opens, a light can come on (set hours). If a temperature in a room is too high, it can close a blind, before it turns on the AC system. I will be playing with motorized vents in few months which should give me a cheap way of doing heating and cooling zones, without a very expensive AC system upgrade. The ceiling fan modules have just come available as well.

The lock systems are just superb, if you don't have a key use a keypad (if enabled), open door remotely if you lock yourself out, set pins for other people to come in out and on a schedule, and so forth.

The real key to the apple system is whether it will talk zigbee and zwave, which is what everyone is producing right now. If they go with anything proprietary it will die. They need to remember that you buy these things from lowes and homedepot, not from the apple website.

And companies like lowes are really pushing their solution as the hub was on sale for the first quarter of this year (if you could find it), for $5. The hub is really very good, built in battery so you can move it new devices when needed(initializing a device is often on a different short range channel), gig of space so the video recording will work, and so forth.

2. Dan Paul

The ANSWER is...

because Apple said so. Their fan base doesn't need to think, just react. When the fish just jump into the boat, the lure doesn't need to be impressive.

3. returnmyjedi

Oh goody. Yet another app to sit alongside Stocks, Health, Watch, Newsstand, Passbook, iBooks et al that I will neither use nor be able to uninstall from the meagre storage that Apple think is necessary (I've got 16gb on my work 5S; I pity the 5C users).

God bless you Tim! God bless you Johnny! God bless you Dead Steve Jobs! Good bless you everyone!

4. Synonymous Howard

Elgato's Eve looks reasonable

And they even have a hardware module for developers ...

https://www.elgato.com/en/eve/eve-core

I'm sticking to my own designs though using ESP8266 modules and a RasPi 2 gateway ... no cloud required and x509v3 cert based security.

As to why ... well why do people have most tech/gadgets; because we can.

5. JP19

Yay - Smart homes for dumb people

As title.

6. Darryl

Awesome. Now we can all look forward to hours of mainstream media coverage of how Apple invented smart homes.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Awesome. Now we can all look forward to hours of mainstream media coverage of how Apple invented smart homes.

You could just turn your TV off. Or ask Siri to do it for you! :)

7. Trigonoceps occipitalis

FUTURE HISTORY

Message from IoT at home: "Your tank is leaking, Shall I: a. Turn off the stop cock, b. Call a plumber, c. Tell your keyholder?"

As I am travelling in the USA the next message is:" As a result of a patent dispute ruling in the 4th Circuit Appeals Court in Paris, Idaho, this app cannot be used in America."

How about one open standard to rule them all?

8. MacGyver

How about..

"Siri, please turn on the lights, but this time don't tell Apple about it please."

Or.

"We noticed that you go to bed at around 23:30 every night, here is an ad about melatonin."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like