back to article US court agrees $563m settlement over CRT anti-trust allegations

A $563m (£372m) settlement has been agreed over alleged price fixing by large TV and computer screen manufactures, including Philips, Pansaonic, Hitachi, Toshiba and Samsung SDI. The lawsuit claims that the defendants fixed the prices of cathode ray tubes (CRTs) from March 1, 1995 to November 25, 2007, which resulted in …

1. John Geek
    Facepalm

I bet the lawyers won a lot more than $25

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Pity it's US only

I reckon I've bought (new) two large TVs, three smaller TV's, and at least 4 CRT monitors in that time.

Mind you, I'd have terrible trouble finding the receipts now!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised

That there is any money left after the leaches (they go by lawyers) get their cut.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: I'm surprised

How do you think this case would have been brought if not for the lawyers??

4. casaloco

Chances of claiming?

Chances of claiming.... roughly 50% of 4/5ths of f**k all.

You'll need proof of purchase and NO-ONE will have receipts.

The money will end up being split between the legal team.

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Thumb Up

Re: Chances of claiming?

Given that most have already PAID to dispose of their lead-containing CRTs, the judge would have shown extreme perception if he had mandated that all unclaimed funds be used to recycle CRTs, not revert to the lawyers...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fees

in the current Canadian DRAM suit an $80m settlement pot was reduced to $57m after legal fees were taken into account.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like