back to article Microsoft: Here's what you'll cough up for Windows 10 next year

Most Windows users will be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it ships on July 29, but they'll only have a year to claim it. After that, they'll need to pay – and Microsoft has now revealed how much. Essentially, full retail copies of Windows 10 will be priced the same as Windows 8, the software giant confirmed to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I still have a nagging feeling that some kind of subscription model is just around the corner for free adopters

1. Stephen Leslie

No, there won't be. It's just the same as if you went to your local computer store and bought an upgrade copy, only this time the price is $0.00. The no charge price will last for one year when the price is expected to rise to what is usually is 89.00 USD to149.00 USD.

When you buy a new computer either Windows 10 will be preloaded (and included in the price of the computer), OR, if you buy the computer bare-metal, you will be able to purchase an OEM copy and load it on yourself - no subscription.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Stephen Leslie - Are you implying that

Microsoft COO Kevin Turner lied in front of investors ?

Then how do you translate [quote] ...allowing us to monetize the lifetime of that customer through services and different add-ons... [/quote] into plain English ?

Read full speech at : http://www.microsoft.com/investor/Events/Presentations/2015/CreditSuisse-Turner.aspx?eventid=153082

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: @Stephen Leslie - Are you implying that

That translates very easily into "by allowing Windows 10 users to buy apps and services from us via the OS"... They are angling to get their money from value added services, rather than the base OS itself.

1. Unicornpiss
            Meh

Value added services..

"They are angling to get their money from value added services, rather than the base OS itself."

So, speaking as a home user, I'm just pondering what service MS could offer me that would 'add value' that I'd pay for. I might pay a subscription fee if MS finally learned to not have apps steal focus from each other. Or nag me with "Do you trust this printer?" and similar. Or fix the troubleshooter that currently comes up with the correct solution every 1 in 300 or so attempts. Having used Office 365 extensively, I'll tell you, that isn't it. Though SharePoint could be quite remarkable if it wasn't so damn quirky. Of course these are more Enterprise features, and Enterprise users still have to pay for their upgrades if I'm understanding this correctly.

I've used Windows since 3.1 and am grateful to MS for my bread and butter in the IT world, but can't honestly think of a single thing I'd subscribe to or purchase as a home user, especially since it would likely come with ads of some sort even after purchasing.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Value added services..

Depends on what you use the machine for, but I would expect directX, New IE versions, High Def codecs and, the ability to use your internet connection if xbox is anything to go by.

2. Someone Else Silver badge

@ localzuk -- Re: @Stephen Leslie - Are you implying that

Convince me.

That would be a complete reversal of history, that strains even Microsoft's credulity.

2. Necronomnomnomicon

Yes, there will be.

I was at SpiceWorld London last month, and during the Microsoft talk on Windows 10, one of the speakers said that there definitely will be subscription services for Windows 10. He seemed to think that security updates would be free forever, but additional features (whatever that might comprise of) would require subscriptions eventually.

The audience was quite hostile towards Microsoft, over that and over things.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Yes, there will be.

I would not be surprised at any thing MS does to shake down the user for money given the number of features being removed compared to W7, OS X, and most Linux distros. By saying something is part of the OS they are later able to charge for it for something that they included in XP and 7/ That could needlessly antagonize users when they find out something like Media Center is not included.

2. JP19

"just around the corner for free adopters"

No it will be for everyone.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Free Legal Torrent for all

How about they make a legally available torrent for once....and keep everybody happy. And while we are at it, how about removing all this Home, Pro, Enterprise marketing crap...

One version, legally available for download, upgradeable from all versions, even 8.1, would make a lot of people very happy..

We know that the subscription versions are coming, it's not a secret, so why not get off to a flying start rather than a lacklustre one...

[Windows 10.1, just sign this long term leasing form and it's yours for the meagre sum of only 10$ per month - for the Home version... ]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Free Legal Torrent for all

There will be people that wouldn't even be happy if the thing came as a torrent-ed ISO and a fee with a negative sign in front of it.

If I install it, I wish to reserve the right to move back to Windows 7 if things don't work out. I'm not sure what their terms permit in that regard.

1. Len Goddard

If I install it, I will first make a duplicate of my system disk and a backup of everything else vital. If things go badly I'll just put the duplicate in the system and purge the upgraded disk.

Mind, the way my version of Win 7 spreads across three hard drives I'm willing to bet the upgrade in place will fail horribly.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why in the world would have an OS spread across three drives? Having some application data on other drives, that makes sense, but allowing the OS itself to do that is on you for poor planning.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

He's running it on his striped 5Gb IDE drives on a Pentium 3 with 512Mb ram and complaining it's slow, just like most of the whingers on here

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Running Windows over multiple disks/partitions isn't new and in fact is beneficial for many reasons. I personally have a partition mounted at C:\games formatted to 64K blocks etc, I have Program Files and Program Files (x86) mounted to separate partitions.

By doing this, OS data is guaranteed to be at the start of the disk, it provides logical fragmentation blocks, i.e. application installs / updates don't fragment the OS, likewise OS updates don't get fragmented into application data. Game data files can read faster because of the 64K block size on the game partition.

Admittedly this setup is quite anal and not for everyone, but it is a more ordered / logical setup. Also, being this anal, I would never soil my install with an upgrade, always a clean install for me.

1. FlatSpot

erm who worries about fragmentation these days? Just install a large SSD drive?

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"Just install a large SSD drive?"

Right after you install a larger bank balance for me. :)

In truth, my system disk is an SSD now, but Program Files and games are still mechanical*. Between games and programs, I'm using 1.5TB - still too pricy for SSDs atm.

* Another use for a multi-disk/partition install, splitting what you want onto SSD/mech disks.

2. Hans 1
        Windows

According to my nag screen, you can go back whenever you want ... I love it, they say the start menu is back and I am already an expert before it ships.

Right-clicking the nag screen does not allow a "fsck off and leave me alone" option, aka "exit".

The process you wanna kill is GWXUX.EXE, which lives in %windir%\System32\GWX.

Snapping four things max on my screen is not enough, I have an ultra, ultra-wide screen, often have 5 or 6 windows open at any given time (IDE, APP, terminal, email/browser, vm's ...). I have very good eye-sight, so the fonts I use are quite small ;-).

Yes, I am back on Windows for a short period of time, I hope...

1. dogged

Everything can now (in Win10) run windowed so snapping is no longer an issue.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
            WTF?

@dogged -- Re: Free Legal Torrent for all

Everything can now (in Win10) run windowed so snapping is no longer an issue.

Microsoft gets dragged, kicking and screaming, from the late 1980's into the glorious 1990's.

Meh.

2. Pookietoo

Re: The process you wanna kill is GWXUX.EXE

The fix is to uninstall update KB3035583.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A copy of Windows 10

A copy of Windows 10 Home will retail for $119, while a single license of Windows 10 Pro will go for $199.

There will also be a Windows 10 Pro Pack available that will upgrade a Windows 10 machine from the Home edition to the Pro edition and will retail for $99.

I'd put this somewhere between 'Are You Being Served?' and 'Mrs Brown's Boys'.

4. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Windows

So that

will be £199, £149, £119, and £99 when its translated into english cash?

1. Graham Marsden
      Flame

Re: So that

Yep, given that 1:1 exchange rate that only ever seems to work for sellers...

2. Mikel

You could always just not buy it. That is still allowed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not buying it hasn`t been "allowed" for twenty years now.

2. excollier

Best comment so far!

3. hplasm
      Devil

More likely - £199.99, £149.99, £119.99, and £99.99.

4. nematoad
      Headmaster

"...will be £199, £149, £119, and £99 when its translated into english cash?"

So the rest of the UK gets it at the US rate?

Oh, and capitalise the English bit, it's a proper name.

5. Spaceman Spiff

This is part (only part) of the reason why I ONLY run Linux on my systems! Fark Microsoft. Also, I am extra pissed at them that they fired me 2 weeks after they closed the deal purchasing Nokia Mobile Phones, where I worked for 2 1/2 years. No notice. No severance. Yeah, they truly suck!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. dogged

Yes. It is.

In general I approve of the efforts to make linux more user-friendly but being friendly to users means you tend to attract... users.

6. Hans 1

Windows Update Disaster

The Windows update disaster will be even worse once they do away with patch Tuesday, since we will not have the benefit of having a large number of people testing the updates at a specific time in the month.

If you really wanna know why Windows Update sucks, ask a Brit, David Brooks, MS Senior Test Developer. He used to work for the X consortium on CDE before he went off to Redmond.

On his Linkedin page, you can see MS have a testing team in .... India^H^H^H^H^HChina.

Got more popcorn and a quite a few pints for this summer ... I'm loving it.

1. Hellcat

Re: Windows Update Disaster

Patches will be tested by home users (the fast circle) before being released into the enterprise versions. I think you'll find the number of patch testers is about to increase massively.

1. Pookietoo

Re: the number of patch testers is about to increase

But them being ordinary users, their feedback might not be worth much.

2. a_yank_lurker

Re: Windows Update Disaster

There is something that makes no sense to me. Most home users do not have the skills to fix a borked box not matter what the OS is. This could be a marketing bonanza for Apple and Google depending on how MS handles the inevitable borked system The average home user would need to find someone who can fix it (for a fee) or take to a repair shop to be fixed (for a fee).

As I understand it MS is going with a rolling release type model. Anyone with any experience with Linux distros that use it will tell that is not something Grandma can handle especially after the system is borked.

7. andyheat

"going as far as to nag them"

I'm fed up of this scaremongering already, and the Get Win 10 app was only released yesterday.

The app does no nagging, it simply allows you to click on it IF YOU WANT.

I didn't even notice it was there until I'd read about it online! Hardly nagging.

8. Reg T.

And when MS cannot even

give Win10 away, what then? The industry is already complaining that the free update to Win10 will keep many from buying new PC junk. MS is attempting an Apple merchandising scheme - but they are not Apple.

I was particularly amused when they slipped in a recent MS Update for Win 7 which shutdown dual boot machines.

You Windows sweetty-pies be sure and turn on auto Updates! MS is so trustworthy and none of their secretive Updates would ever go awry.

You can trust MS!

1. Ian 55

Re: And when MS cannot even

Amongst the things that mean I only boot into Windows once a month or so is the lack of info about the 'optional' upgrades that would be installed if I didn't turn auto updates off.

Clicking on the link for more info usually results in a KB article with the same text in a different order, slightly. Plus a list of which OSes it applies to and a request to say that the page was helpful.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait for it

I think I'll wait a couple of months before deciding to upgrade. It's free, but free stuff often comes with a catch.

10. Matt_payne666

meh

so for all intents and purposes, the same pricing structure as before...

home and pro, one being cheaper than the other.

Mr average user will stick to what they currently have till its time to upgrade and buy a replacement machine with home pre-loaded.

Mr Small business will stick with what he's got until he replaces a machine, then he will buy the pro version almost exclusively because it will allow domain membership.

Mr Enterprise will carry on with his Volume agreement and just upgrade whenever.

Enthusiasts will be able to buy the home or pro versions for much the same as buying the home or pro versions of win 8/7

the big change is that anyone with 7 or 8 is that they get a window to upgrade for free and Ill take that thank you very much!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no free upgrade for me

Had to re-build my machine a while back, so I 'borrowed' the enterprise version from work. Looks like I'll be sticking with 7 for the time being, never mind.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1Kg bag of carp now only $10,000

If you put a price tag on something you couldn't give away some fool will always buy it.

13. Someone Else Silver badge
    Coat

Here's what I'll cough up for Windows 10 next year:

$0.00 (which translates to £0.00, or €0.00 at today's exchange rates).

14. phands

So - if I get the free upgrade now, do I pay next yer?

I haven't seen this explicitly asked and answered - if I do the upgrade now, will I get blackmailed in a year's time, or is it truly a perpetual license?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like