back to article Nice 4G-for-plods demo, Samsung. Good luck actually selling it

Samsung has staked its claim towards being an integral part of the emergency services with a demonstration of its public safety solution - the first based on the 3GPP Rel.12 standard - using LTE technology. A post on the official Samsung blog explains how 80 devices were connected to a network to demonstrate PS-LTE, or Public …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...Replacing GSM-R

Simon,

it replacing GSM-R??, which Network Fail have only recently finished deploying, and at an absurd cost.

Anon as I was briefly working on the programme, and had the temerity to challenge some very dubious expenditure and associated dodgy practices...

1. Simon Rockman

Re: ...Replacing GSM-R

It might not be an option for Network Rail - which only has 2 x 4MHz but there are plenty of other railways in the world which might look to upgrade GSM-R.

1. Bob H

Makes me wonder if LTE band 31 at 450MHz might be available in the UK for it, it is only 2 x 2.5MHz, it could be traded. Get whoever wants the old frequencies to do the upgrade then the commercial incentive to get it done quickly and under budget would be there.

2. Vic

I was briefly working on the programme, and had the temerity to challenge some very dubious expenditure and associated dodgy practices

There's a connection there somewhere - I can't quite put my finger on it...

Vic.

2. SolidSquid

Just checking, aren't there usually issues with mobile networks getting jammed with traffic during emergencies? Larger scale ones anyway. Is there anything about this which would get around that?

1. Simon Rockman

There is MTPAS to deal with that, but it's far from the ideal solution.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like