back to article Third Pirate Bay founder freed from clink, vows to fight domain seizure

Pirate Bay cofounder Fredrik Neij has reportedly been released from a Swedish prison after serving the mandatory two-thirds of his ten-month sentence for copyright violation. BitTorrent news site TorrentFreak reports that Neij, 37, was released on Monday and has already rejoined family and friends. Neij, who fled Sweden to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They should

never have been banged up in the first place.

A clear cut case of "How do we deal with this?" "I know, lets lock them up".

As as always been said, the PB never hosted material, merely provided links.

Dont see the founders at google, bing et al being locked up for providing links to copyright (sic) material.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: They should

IANAL, but I'm sure intent is quite important.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whilst I think that big media companies deserve all they get, I'm not sure that you can argue that TPB is 'just like google'. Google/youtube etc will take down links to copyrighted material when asked. I'm not sure that TPB would !

I still remember feeling outraged when a new laptop in the early 2000s had a region locked DVD drive. I was travelling to the states lots and had joined a local stateside DVD store so I could watch DVDs when away. Only I couldn't cos big media didn't want me to.

Yes I could have installed hacked firmware on the drive, but our IT dept. would have gone spare. I seem to remember that was the first time I downloaded pirated films from to watch when away. Big media really do only have themselves to blame.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Google/youtube etc will take down links to copyrighted material when asked. I'm not sure that TPB would !

Indeed. In its earlier days TPB actively taunted copyright holders, especially those who sent C&D letters.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Doing IT for a media company, I had to break the region lock on every laptop that came in, so that the editors could actually do their job, and view the material they were supposed to review, material from anywhere in the world. The region lock is a blatant and insane example of publisher overreach to protect their commercial property. I refuse to call it intellectual property, I can't see anything smart about Titanic or Rocky.

3. LucreLout

I bought more music when Napster was with us than I ever have since.... I know there are other services I could use instead, but for reasons I've not really considered, I don't. Nice one RIAA.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3 years was enought for hundreds of others pirates to create hundreds of pirataBay proxies and mirrors, which already has more traffic than original piratebay torrent tracker - prove is here https://piratebay-proxies.net/top/popular

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like