back to article Comedy UK social network berates moaning users

Maverick UK social network Faceparty has today told its millions of users it "can't be arsed" with their attitudes, and so has "shut the whole site down and fucked off to the zoo". According to an outstanding rant posted to faceparty.com today and titled "To tha Haterz", the site's users have been complaining over an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Raith

Hehe

I have an account on FP, and much as though I thought the whole 'ban the over 36s' thing was hilarious for all the wrong reasons, I read that front page and did crack a smile.

They might be a bunch of lowest common denominator tossers, but at least they are funny...

Steven R

2. pctechxp

good on them

at last a bunch of admins that say what they think.

3. Ian

Surely

they'd have had fewer moaning wankers if they'd thrown off people the other side of 36?

4. RMartin
    Happy

Outstanding

Well done faceparty! About time someone "told it like wot it is".

On the other hand, they ARE running a social networking site, so its not as if they could have expected to get 7 million normal human beings using it... Even one or two might be a stretch.

5. Jack Harrer
    Thumb Up

LOL

I like the part "so we fucked to the zoo" ;)

Quality, absolute top quality!!!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but

what makes you think they wont get locked up at the zoo with the other animals?

7. Henry Jenkins
    Happy

gold

comedy gold!

if i was a digger i'd digg it.

but ummm, i'm not

anyway, loved it, especially the fact that it was written in chav. :D

8. RainForestGuppy
    Thumb Up

Brilliant!!!!!

Honesty on an Internet site, a rare commodity.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

thank feck

the place will be so much better without all the whiging tossers on there... now if we could only ban them from the rest of the internet too... maybe we should create a web 3.0 where all the complaining little runts can fuck off to til they learn things like "spelling", "grammar", and "basic respect" :P

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Hmmm..

What about those who had paid for the features on the site. Surely they will be quite upset at losing a paid for service.

11. Sam
    Joke

Irony alert

"the place will be so much better without all the whiging tossers on there... now if we could only ban them from the rest of the internet too... maybe we should create a web 3.0 where all the complaining little runts can fuck off to til they learn things like "spelling", "grammar", and "basic respect"

That's "whinging".......nob.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

And our top story tonight....

.....Chaos in London Zoo as millions of self-named "face partyers" descended on the world renowned zoo upon the urging of FaceParty.com owners Anarchy Towers Ltd. In a post to Face Party the administrators urged users to go to London Zoo and cause chaos. Unfortunately, the mob grew out of control and eventually everyone in the park was rounded up under the Terrorism Act.

Anonymous Coward at London Zoo for BBC news.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I don't find it funny at all.

They better act like a f***ing business, if they are taking people's personal details.

Maybe if they didn't appeal to 13 year olds, and kick out all the adults aka paedophiles, their business would be doing better.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

back when

"back when the net was run buy [sic] the people like us, and not by massive corporations"

Well, the first stuff I started pulling down off the net ages ago was generally from gatekeeper.dec.com. DEC, alas, is no longer with us, but I don't think that rant sounds like Ken Olsson's style.

15. Cosmo
    Stop

Wow

I was a member (and probably still am) of FaceParty, but haven't logged in for about 2 years. I received an e-mail a while back telling me they were going advert free and how wonderful it was all going to be (positive spin for the fact that the site was dying and no-one wanted to advertise with them anymore).

I wouldn't be surprised if they never come back - it looks and sounds like it's run by a 14 year old who's just thrown their toys out of the pram :D Never mind guys, you tried the whole social network thang and it didn't work for ya - good luck in Burger King.

16. Lee
    Paris Hilton

This is the sort of site I'd join

if I was not over 36 ;-)

Fucking giving it to the masses in plain English. Respect.

Paris - because deep down I don't hate her either....!

17. George Forth

How did they make their money then?

Given that they sponsored the Gay Pride festival in Finsbury Park (or wherever it ended up) for a few years, how they can moan that they have no money is beyond me.

Looks to me like the toys have been thrown and the pram has been driven off the road. I reckon they are now realising that huge event sponsorship rather drains the old coffers, especially when they apparently couldn't they find a buyer.

Such drama!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Faceparty is well ace

Faceparty:

I say fair play to them for kicking the whining complainers into touch.

thanks to faceparty for helping me find the right person.

19. Matthew Smith
    Thumb Down

Well said them

I've got an app on Facebook. I only expected ~200 users a day, and its grown to 17,000. But dearie me, they whinge and whine for Britain. I've got at least 10 Service Infringement emails waiting for me every morning. No instructions, forced friend invites, slow speed. It doesn't cost them anything. Should have written Vampires instead.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Just out of interest...

Does El Reg check it's user's against the sex offenders register, or more to the point it's staff?

Could well wipe a high percentage of the user base of the records I suppose.

Mines the one with nonce spray painted on.

21. Chris Branch
    Thumb Down

It's all fun and games until you're a victim

There are lots of idiots around who will whinge because they think they deserve everything now and have no patience. Good luck keeping them away. If you have a website like this you'll get that kind of user, and anyone who's been on the internet 5 minutes will know this.

What's amusing is that one 'hater' had the cheek to say a lot of people will be leaving the site because of this. Well, they will one way or another, but what's more important is that I wouldn't be surprised if *any* kind of criticism over the whole thing gets you kicked off the site. Apparently just ignoring them for a few more days was too much for the admins to handle. For the people still left on the site, watch what you say or you might be kicked off in a future temper tantrum.

Faceparty has millions of users and all their personal details, AND it's taking people's money - just a hobby? More like a failed business. Grow up, stop defecating on your users and live in the real world like the rest of us.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Hmmm...not sure I agree...

For a social networking site with a lot of young members, ie, 14 and under, I think its quite wrong to put a page up like that full of swearing and foul language.

Not quite a good example really...

23. Ricky H
    Go

BEAUTIFUL

good on them x 1,000,000

This will be remembered as the downward-turning point of persistent, gossip based, time wasting blogging that is known as social networking. smash the system.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sellouts

My favourite bit is the idea that Facebook "sold out" to big business, as if a Harvard student started a hobby-site to fill the social gap in the turning-friends-into-vampires area, never considering the business implications until people in suits arrived uninvited to offer a surprise fortune to compromise the moral purity of the whole adventure. Clearly that school should start some sort of "business education" programme for its students; there might be people out there who would actually like to try to make that kind of thing happen.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Chris Branch

I think it might be someone sueing them that might have realy got to them.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a business

They may wish to claim it's "not a business" but given that they charge for use of certain features, I'm sure that a civil court would disagree. It's not the user's fault that the admins don't make any profit. They are still charging for a service, and therefore the service will need to be provided as promised, bad business plans aside.

27. stranger on the road
    Alert

@Chris Branch

[quote]... and if that isn't enough, some nob has already sued us for not giving then cool tools yet.[/quote]

I'm guessing that this is the reason they couldn't just ignore the users for few more days... they were already being _sued_ before the dead line was reached!

any way, people do tend to forget that they are receiving things for free and do in fact start to think that it is their right to have it.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Not a business... ?

Bul1sh!t - they used to make millions. This is clearly a temper tantrum because they can no longer compete with the advent of myspace & facebook. To use their own parlance - fuck em!

29. Mike
    Thumb Up

Another nail...

in the Faceparty coffin. Good. Hope it goes t*ts up for them and they do end up busking on the streets for spare change.

(Whinge time) I was a member. Under 36. Logged on regularly. Had profile picture. PAID for Cool Tools for about 5 years (more fool me).

My account was STILL wiped (with no justification as far as I'm concerned), with about 4 months left on my Cool Tools. OK, it's only 8 quid I lost (hence not bothering to pursue them), but if they're going to kick people like me who stuck to the rules AND was helping to subsidise their site, then I hope the site sinks into oblivion and drags the "old skool" webmasters with it.

That, or I hope Her Maj's Law Enforcement patrols catch up with the people that kicked out all the "suspected paedophiles" so it could have all the 14 year olds to itself - what's the matter chaps, worried about the competition were ya?

Faceparty RIH (Rot In Hell)

30. Steve Evans

Hehe..

Well they kicked me off for being a wrinkly old possible kiddy fiddler in the recent "delete from users where age>36" clear out, so it doesn't have any impact on me, although it is rather amusing...

However, I'd just like to ask if someone could clarify the "it's our hobby, we don't make any money from this site" with "Faceparty, owned by Anarchy Towers Ltd"...

Are you allowed hobbies in work time? If so, can I get paid to f*ck off to the zoo too?

31. Solomon Grundy

@I don't find it funny at all.

Too bad cause i's hilarious.

As you can see from their letter, it's not a business, it's a hobby. You know, one of those things you do for fun.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

well done fp - always breaking new ground

Hey George Forth - you are missing the point of faceparty. THEY LIVE TO HAVE FUN - we have one life and things like fp actually make life more interesting. They are not moaning that they have no money, they are moaning about the attitude of people who expect everything for free. I went to Big Gay Out and it was truly amazing -I had one of the most amazing days in my life for just £25 - nevertheless the gay press moaned that it was too expensive!

I empathise with pctechxp: "at last a bunch of admins that say what they think."

I told one of my moaning freebie-website-users to f**k o*f once - and it felt sooo good.

33. Mark
    Paris Hilton

Re: BEAUTIFUL

However, a little ironic coming from a group MAKING a persistent, gossip based, time wasting blogging entity known as a social network...

34. Jamie
    Alert

FP stuff

They belong in the zoo.I cannot believe a site aimed at the younger generation would use such appalling language and behave in such an immature why. Its unbelievable. Shame on them

35. Keith T
    Paris Hilton

Amateurs

Now you know why doctors, dentists and lawyers don't work for free.

Work done for free is over-valued by the provider and not valued at all by the recipient.

It starts off as a hobby, and becomes an unpaid job.

Anarchy Towers Ltd's best bets are to either:

1. Close the doors and get paying jobs, or

2. Take their work seriously, take their obligations to clients seriously, and find a way to get paid for it.

Acting like jack-asses just makes the IT whole profession look bad.

Paris, because even Paris takes her non-paying clients more seriously than these jerks.

36. amun ra
    Alert

Ironic...

How faceparty complains of whiners and then they pretty much deface their own website with a huge "BAWWWWW".

Very unprofessional, and even if the admins aren't in it for the money, they'reobviously getting something out of the site, as one of this nature isn't easy to manage, I bet they spend a lot of time not in technical admin but keeping their members in check. You have to bear in mind this is very much a hybrid between a social network like myspace and a dating site.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perfect

That's made me smile :)

Well done guys!

38. amun ra

AND NOW...

That it is back., almost every topic under their forums is a big suck up to the sites admin.

39. Miguel
    Go

Give yourself a pat on the back Faceparty

When you start a site that, obivously, begins small, everyone knows what its about. When the site grows into something much bigger and you start adding all sorts to it newcomers, and often the founding members, seem to forget what it is.

Fuck them. As much as most people will be slating them for this, it takes balls to shut a site down that's as big as that.

BTW, I couldn't care for these social networking sites as a whole. I'm speaking generally here.

40. Mark Roome

Did they

hire Rufus by any chance?

41. Andy Worth

Meh...

A site made by chavs, mostly for chavs. Nobody will really miss it.

42. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

pirates

Very funny and refreshing, but flawed a little.

It sounds like they wanted a "hacking krew" like those people or teams who are named in the info.nfo file on any downloaded stuff that may be on the copyrighted side of things. To me these groups seem like a little club of geeks who call themselves names they think are cool and score street or net cred with skills.

However, that is not what faceparty was, it was registered to an Ltd. It collected both money and personal data from people so it has to be responsible.

They still could have flamed their users and shut down, but they can't pretend they are just amateurs who don't have responsibilities.

And for the record i've been around and i don't think the net was ever run by people like this. Grumpy old *nix sys admins with more than a little sarcasm and cynicism, but not stroppy little twa*ts like these lot.

43. DR

in it for the money?

What's wrong with all you guys.

I know that I've setup plenty of sites in the past on a just for fun basis. I've used my time and my money registering domain names, building sites, hosting sites.

I currently give my time, (give, I am not paid) to help run a forum site, (and yes, forum sites are a most basic form of social networking), and why do I do it? I do it for fun. I do it cause I want to. I don't make a penny from it. and neither does anyone else.

(and this is a fairly big site half million members,/few hudred regular [everyday] active users)

why is it so hard to believe that people are still setting up sites for fun, not profit -even big sites

44. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Double irony with ice cream and vermicelli

@Sam: "That's "whinging".......nob."

That's 'knob'. You may think it's 'nob', but that's because you write too many text messages with 'ur' instead of 'you're'.

Flame - because it is. :P

45. Doug Glass
    Thumb Up

The Modern Consumer

Ya pays ya money; ya takes ya chances.

Oh frellin' well.....

46. Colin Jackson
    Coat

But...

...it's "knob", surely? Tsk, the chavs of today...

47. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@just a hobby

Oh yeah, the personal details and money of millions of users being held somewhere by a bunch of lunatics who delete your PAID FOR account at their whim without you breaking any of their rules is absolutely hilarious. (Is this even legally alllowed, I wonder?)

Hilarious if you find toilet humour funny and cannot grasp basic things like the aforementioned collecting of people's details and the fact that they are supposed to comply with the data protection act, and indeed mentioned it and went into detail on the law on their website.

If hobby means 'something they are making money out of, taking peoples data and money but don't really care about it enough to keep the service online when they're peed off about bad feedback' then you may be right.

But they might have told the world that it was 'simply a hobby' and not a social networking website before anyone bothered to sign up, thinking it was semi-professional. Does the owner of Walmart see it as just a hobby? Does that mean companies are free to drop everything at any time and leaves users out in the lurch after they sucked all the money and hits they could get out of them? No!

You might also want to note that Faceparty only stopped using ADVERTISING in APRIL of this year (hmm TWO MONTHS AGO). They also make people pay for stats that other websites give you for free (see who visited your profile, who rated you etc) Which is what they were so generously going to offer people for free, until they moaned that it was taking too long to sort out..

I signed up about 6 years ago (free account) and never used the profile. It is blank. Supposed to have been deleted by them last month or whenever they were getting rid of inactive users. How's 6 years of inactivity? Not long enough apparently, unles they are full of s***.

I couldn't get it deleted (not that it really mattered that much to ME personally, as it didn't have my personal details besides an old email address) There was no option to delete the profile, howerever there was an option to phone a helpline at only £.1.50 per minute, which I guess I could have used after they ignored my 3 emails that all got confirmations assuring "we promise to reply to every email within 24 hours"

I guess teenage angst, trash talk to the invisible 'man' by 30 year olds appeals to some people who haven't heard a good joke in a while or god fobid actually believe and relate to their crap because they hate Facebook. (I DO TOO. But it is obvious that Faceparty is seriously jealous of Myspace and Facebooks sucess! Get a grip!)

Unless we are actually on the same page when we say it's funny...

AS IN...not funny-ha-ha but funny-pathetic and in awe of the degree of stupidity and childishness.

48. Steven Foster
    Thumb Down

Snore!

I don't know what people are going on about giving them Kudos for writing a tirade filled with foul language. If I was a member of that site I'd be rather worried about my personal details being in the hands of such idiots by this point.

There's nothing down-to-earth or real about writing in such a way. I hate spin and "business-like" talk as much as the next guy, but I still expect some level of professionalism from a site Admin. In the site I admin I swear sometimes as well (ZOMG :O!!), but their rant really does seem to be swearing for the sake of swearing.

The whole thing just reeks of "Look at how down with the kids we are, we cuss every second word like all the other cool kids out there" - Maybe I'm just too old to appreciate it now (I'm 21, I guess their target audience is 14?), but the whole thing just strikes me as pretty pathetic.

Then again, I can't be arsed with social networking anyway.

49. mike lee
    Stop

re: Meh...

But we need to keep all the chavs in one place!

50. pctechxp

@AC THank feck

in Ali G chav lang that should be Respek!

51. Andrew
    Alert

RE: Hmmm...not sure I agree...

Dude, you obviously haven't kept up with FP have you?

Its never allowed anyone under 16 on there.

52. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ltd

Hang on why make a Ltd co for your hobby? should I become "off to play golf Ltd" or "tinker with my landrover PLC" ?

53. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

It's the..

biggest users and abusers that are always bagging out the "haterz".

Take a hint, learn a valuable life lesson - when you treat everyone badly, the number of people with a grudge against you builds up real quick. So if you have lots of "haterz", take a look in the mirror, you are probably the one with the problem, not them.

54. Dan Atkinson

Bless 'em

I always liked the fp ethos - clapped out clubbers from the days before parties became corporate running a site for the bored, the desperate and the hopeless (oops - was that supposed to read 'cool and single'?). I doubt that there will ever be a more complete selection of manual labourers displaying their torsos or single mothers pouting desperately in to their webcams on display in one place ever again.

A tragedy that they never got to sell out. It should be bought by the nation for posterity.

55. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Cough cough.....

Doing it for free?

Bollocks.

I wish I could tell you more.

56. Chika
    Pirate

Respect!

OK, I'll own up. I'm nearly 45 and unlikely to ever go on the site, fancy dress or no. Having said that, though, I have nothing but respect for them. It takes a lot of balls these days to do something like that.

57. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Add your own comment

They're obviously shaving the fat (over 35s') to cultivate an attractive demographic that is more salable to advertisers (18-25) and ultimately lucrative for them, it's not rocket science, all done under the guise of that laugably contrived "down with the yoof" routine.

FP more than likely have some sort of 30 something Nathan Barely figure in the shadows orchestrating things , possibly the cringe worthy admin that seem incapable of stringing legibly grammaticized / punctuated sentences together , which seems in and of it self cynically devised attempt at some sort of “down with the yoof” informal . It's all a bit patronizing and calculated really.

58. Gulraj Rijhwani
    Linux

1001 uses for a used limitation

"Hang on why make a Ltd co for your hobby?"

Because money is changing hands, and there are costs to be borne, and creating a limited liabilty company does exactly that - limits the personal liability of the operators if it all goes Horribly Wrong(tm).

Plenty of people run Limited companies as vehicles for hobbies, often with a view to stepping up to a full-time paying career, but not always. You see them at comic cons, book trades and computer fairs.

This topic is closed for new posts.