back to article Strap-on fiddle factor: We poke ten Apple Watch apps

It’s the hottest thing to happen to wrists since Chinese burns, but apart from leaking your biology and emptying your wallet, what can an Apple Watch actually do for you – assuming you can get one? Apple Watch Sport Beyond the limited built-in functions, the answer lies in the 4,000-odd apps that already support the device …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

A calculator watch, Wow ! We had those in the 80s complete with the same shit battery life.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not on the really old LED ones, LCD was much better.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Strap-on fiddle?

You mean there's an app that turns it into a wrist-mounted miniature violin?

(Having posted this, there probably will be one soon enough.)

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Strap-on fiddle?

Anyone who knows someone who lovingly coded a "watchface" app and expected to make their fortune needs that functionality.

To play the world's saddest tune on of course.

3. Richard Taylor 2

Well there is a drum kit (kind of)

4. Velv
    Gimp

I have a Pebble and I love the notification on my wrist. I was looking for an excuse to give an iWatch consideration and I have to say none of these watch apps have sold it to me. If these are the best uses then I'll keep my iWallet in my pocket.

As an aside however, Hours appears to answer an app question I was going to need to research, so I'm now giving that a try. So it wasn't a waste of an article

5. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Early days...

I have no real yearning for an Apple Watch (for a start - I lack the pre-requisite compatible iPhone/iOS device. However, I shall watch with interest to see how imaginative the application development side progresses. The lag issue is concerning but I guess as the hardware matures and becomes less dependent on the phone, plus smarter coding, things will improve.

I like the idea of the rail enquiries app - as someone who does end up fumbling with a phone checking whether I've missed the train I'm trying to catch.

1. Pristine Audio

Re: Early days...

I caught a TGV out of Paris last week. Having the SNCF app I'd previously installed on my Android phone pop up on my LG watch and tell me which platform to head to in advance of arrival at the somewhat disorientating station (it had also been nagging me to get a move on some time before) proved remarkably useful.

6. John Robson Silver badge

Strava remote control...

Well, at that cost I'll get something else, but a simple 2 button BTLE device on the bars might be nice, then the tablet in the pannier can do the work for me, makes uploading fractionally easier - I'll pay up to £4, maybe £5...

Else I'll just keep using my GPS Logger.

7. Phuq Witt
    Mushroom

Re Recipe App

Isn't that just inviting some 'crotch scalding' slapstick comedy along the lines of the old classic 'asking someone the time while they're holding a cup of tea' gag?

Could be even more eye-watering with a recipe app.

Whilst holding a pan of boiling melted sugar : "Let me just consult that Toffee Apple recipe again..."

[Icon choice obvious]

PS: Round of applause for: "It’s the hottest thing to happen to wrists since Chinese burns..."

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Re Recipe App

Quite. If it's paired with a phone (or better still, tablet) anyway, you'd be far better off propping that up and reading the recipe off it, surely? Plus, the tablet can double as a chopping board, if needs be.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: kitchen computer

That is fantastic! I do hope I haven't been suckered by an out of season April Fool.

8. jason 7

Fake Block?

tap tap tap...tap tap tap

9. Yugguy

Oh to be rich enough

To have a spare ipad to use as a baby monitor.

We had to make do with a 10 quid Argos baby monitor.

10. PassingStrange

And that killer app, to tempt the mass market?

(Cue tumbleweed)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IFTTT - worst app ever

... yet with the most promise...

Sadly if you don't use endless silicon valley software fart-up apps that only the coolest of cool kids use, then its really quite useless at automating anything.

It can tell me if someone lists something on etsy, but it cannot let me look for a standard bit of data on a random website... only choose from the list of "cool" sites you can be choosing..

I cant even remember what i wanted it to do, but as a result of it failing so fashionably, i wrote a small python script and banished it forever.

Still, i am commenting on an iWatch article... i have already wasted enough life for a few more cigarettes.

1. Muscleguy

Re: IFTTT - worst app ever

Agreed. I installed it on my Android phone thinking it looked promising then looked at endless recipes all for apps I never use, have no intention of using, do not want to use, would rather chop my hands off than use etc. Definitely one for the hipster generation, I think I'm just too old. But then I remember when Facebook started and it was this thing just for us academic/scientist types . . .

I'm simply not into sharing everything with everybody instantly type stuff.

12. Dogsauce

A weather app that appears to only give temp in Fahrenheit. Not much use to anyone under the age of 50 then. Dunces.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like