back to article It's FREE WINDOWS 10 time: 29 July is D-Day, yells Microsoft

Windows 10 will be coughed up by Microsoft on July 29, the company said on Monday morning – and Windows 7 and 8.1 users can reserve their free upgrade right now. Gratis upgrades to Windows 10 are pegged to last for 12 months, as previously announced by Microsoft. That gives you until the end of July 2016 to claim them. Also, …

1. CAPS LOCK

How many of you Windows user will be...

... hosting a party?

1. Someonehasusedthathandle

Re: How many of you Windows user will be...

None? We'll be installing it and getting on with our lives, just like when people got/get Lollipop/iOS7

I'm going to guess you use Linux, switched from Windows and don't see the point in going back, fight the power and all that, unless you want to play anything outside of the 100 or so steam games.

If not then it must be OSX and you are looking for a invite, since you have to use Windows part of the time to do everything one would expect from an OS (bit like Linux), but I thought you'd be all partied out by the "amazing" announcements Apple have made in the last few years.

(I'll soon be publishing my new book entitled "How to alienate 90% of people who comment in Windows related threads in one easy post" (working title))

1. Paul Shirley

"We'll be installing it and getting on with our lives, just like when people got/get Lollipop"

The Lollipop upgrade has seriously borked battery life and UI responsiveness for many. Are you hinting Win10 will be that bad?

2. kryptylomese

Because most businesses need to play the 100 or so games outside of Steam....

Businesses need reliability, security and performance and exceptional value for money

You stick with your Toy operating system and I will stick to Linux thank you!

1. Anonymous Coward
          WTF?

And Linux's answer to Lync is?

1. g e

Android has an answer to that and it even works with the PC turned off

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Android has an answer to that and it even works with the PC turned off"

You presumably mean that Android has a Lync client available. That's hardly an answer...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"And Linux's answer to Lync is?"

That depends, which version of Linux you use, which kernel, are you using "yumm"or "apt-get", do you have the Gnome libraries or not, which compiler subversion, do you know all of the compiler command lien options by heart, do grep, awk, bash or multiple levels of piping make your sweat or smile....

Of course it's command line, yes of course you need beard and adhere to Stallmans Chronicles but believe me it really is fast....and is so much better than the Windows/Mac version....It's all about choice, it's free, as in beer, and we already have 5 people in the Github ( if you count my 2 dogs, the neighbour and my unborn child)

Our distro is amazing......it's far better than Windows, it's called GlyncLinux....and we use a penguin in a Giraffe costume as our mascot... All Linux versions need a mascot, its just so much more coollll...

At home we call it Gerard the Gyrating Giraffe GlyncLinux... and were currently working on a chewing gum sized bootable "shoe" installation....because you never know when a bootable shoe can come in handy for Glyncing to others.

1. Joe 48

Yes Linux can do anything you want. If it can't someone in sandals will whip up some code to make something that can. Trouble is 'open source' doesn't mean free and for business supportability is just as important as everything else you mentioned.

I love everything tech. Windows works for 60% of what I do. Mac works for 20% of what I do, and when I'm feeling all nerdy I'll boot linux.

Each have plus and negative points. For most people Windows works and does what they need.

I for one won't scoff at a free upgrade.

MS posts, Apple posts they always end up with an OS equivalent of a willy waving contest.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Lync? Your big killer app is Lync?

Linux must be gaining ground fast if that's the best you can come up with.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Linux must be gaining ground fast if that's the best you can come up with."

Yup it's racing from 0.8% of desktop to about 1.2% over the last decade.

Still 2000 will be the year of the Linux desktop.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Your big killer app is Lync?"

Lync, Outlook - well most of the advanced features of Microsoft Office really don't have anything even close on Linux.

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Lync ?

Your behind the times, it's Skype for business now.

5. hplasm
            Windows

You mean Sky(!)pe for Business... er Modernpe, er...

6. Spasticus Autisticus
            Devil

Shoot it in the face.

7. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> And Linux's answer to Lync is?

umm, not using Lync?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"You stick with your Toy operating system and I will stick to Linux thank you!"

Erm, but most toys that have an operating system these days run a version of - Linux! Windows at the low end tends to run BMWs, medical devices, ATMs, etc. etc....

2. nkuk

Hosting a party? I wont even be batting an eyelid.

3. Truffle
      Trollface

Well it will be my Birthday...so probably.

1. h4rm0ny
        Thumb Up

>>"Well it will be my Birthday...so probably."

And you get the best birthday present ever! A new edition of Windows! :)

1. VinceH

">>"Well it will be my Birthday...so probably."

And you get the best birthday present ever! A new edition of Windows! To be able to say goodbye to Windows 8. :)"

FTFY! :)

4. Lionel Baden

Well i think you need to revise your downvotes !!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33007219

It was a amusing jibe, no need to get your knickers in a twist

5. TheVogon

Not really free. You already paid for it with your Windows 7 or 8 license. Even so, at first glance it seems quite generous of Microsoft not to charge extra for a new version.

However - it's actually a very astute business plan - consumer OS licensing revenue is not as important as it used to be. Microsoft want to get the Windows App Store on your desktop and sell you Office 365, OneDrive, Xbox Music / Video and get you using Cortana (and therefore Bing), etc. etc!

If it gets me a "free" OS upgrade though, then it works for me...

1. streaky

consumer OS licensing revenue is not as important as it used to be

To be fair I'm pretty sure it's a major deal for Microsoft and shareholders are going to take some convincing.

As for parties, OS works, get on with it.

1. TheVogon

"To be fair I'm pretty sure it's a major deal for Microsoft and shareholders are going to take some convincing."

It really isn't. Consumer OS sales are worth much less than business ones - and most are heavily subsidised OEM versions anyway. Microsoft will likely only need to sell a single Office 365 or OneDrive subscription, a few Windows Store apps, or have you use Bing (even via Cortana) for a few years on each PC to make more money than a home license would have cost...

2. Ashton Black

Hmmm....

Might be worth it on my W8.1 Surface, but on my Win7 gaming rig, I think I'll wait a bit.

1. Jack Faust meets Mephistopheles

Re: Hmmm....

On the gaming front I wouldn't wait - DX12 my friend....

1. Joe 48

And the ability to game with xBox one users without the need for a console. I can't wait to see how this works. Although no doubt you'll need an xBox subscription!

2. Michael Habel

DX12 w/ that shiny new GTX980 ONLY 600.00€ + S&H ON AMAZON NOW! Best part you'll probably want Two of 'em for all that SLI goodness!

1. Boothy

DX 12 should be supported by most current, and a lot of older DX10/11 cards, as it's basically driver optimisations, rather than hardware changes.

For example, nVidia Fermi chipset upwards will support DX12, that's the GeForce 400 series from 2010.

For AMD it needs GCN, which is HD 7700 onwards (2012).

So anyone who has a reasonably current system, and especially anyone with a 'gaming rig' should benefit.

Personally, I'm on Win 7 64bit, I'm not planning on shifting to Win 10 any time soon.

2. Joerg

DirectX 12 is a facade.

First games with DirectX 12 support are showing no real improvement over DirectX 11 unless a bunch more 3D characters on the screen could be claimed to be a huge achievement..

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"unless a bunch more 3D characters on the screen could be claimed to be a huge achievement"

Lots more polygons you mean? That IS a significant improvement for the same hardware for just a driver / API change!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"On the gaming front I wouldn't wait - DX12 my friend"

Quite - up to 40% performance gain on a PC and up to 20% performance gain on the Xbox One...OpenGL is at least a year behind.

1. Joerg

Anonymous Coward: "Quite - up to 40% performance gain on a PC and up to 20% performance gain on the Xbox One...OpenGL is at least a year behind."

In your dreams! The overall average performance gain is not going to be anything better than 10% to 15%.

And Microsoft was claiming a +100% to +500% improvement...

First games with DirectX 12 support are proof that that is far from the truth and there will be no real reason to use DirectX 12 at all. So no real reason to install the awful Windows 10 aka Windows 8.2 with Metro/ModernUI crap and the fake start menu plagued with Metro.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"In your dreams! The overall average performance gain is not going to be anything better than 10% to 15%."

If you count crappy integrated graphics PCs maybe. For high end hardware, 40% performance gain is realistic.

"And Microsoft was claiming a +100% to +500% improvement..."

Actually it's better than that for many use cases:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2900814/tested-directx-12s-potential-performance-leap-is-insane.html

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I'll upgrade...

...after a few months, to let everyone else sort out the normal issues.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Meh

Re: I'll upgrade...

I guess that'll be the tack taken by most Reg commentards. I'd like to see some clarification on how invasive Win 10 is (Cortana, always connected, MS account, sync to "cloud" etc.) first.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

I'd like to see some clarification on how invasive Win 10 is (Cortana, always connected, MS account, sync to "cloud" etc.) first.

Well if like 8.1 on the phone, here is the bizarre, complex thing...stand by, it's really difficult....You TURN IT OFF.

I know, crazy shit.

Next you'll be telling me Android needs a Google account and iOS needs an Apple ID in order to get all the extra bits, like Apps.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
          Trollface

> Lost all faith...

I guess I'm an "off by default" kind of guy who like to add in features if they're useful to me. But if you prefer to eat in restaurants where your food comes with mayo AND tomato ketchup AND HP sauce AND mustard AND custard AND ...

You can always scrape them off the plate after all.

Trolling slightly, hence icon.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

well you certainly DO need a google account if you want to access some features. And they make it difficult to get the apps other than by logging in (google, hello again) to the Play store, conveniently run by google.

2. Wade Burchette

I'll upgrade when Win10 respects my privacy. So, in other words, I won't upgrade.

3. adnim
      Meh

After I am convinced it will not wipe the restore partition on my laptop. And then, if I can install a third party firewall and discover that there is still sufficient function left after I stop it talking to Microsoft, I may just keep it long term. My win 7 restore partition will remain until I am convinced that this is not a bait and switch scam.

To be honest the ONLY attraction of this OS is Direct X 12. And curiosity as to how much user data win 10 will actually want to send to Microsoft. I can't see any other benefit (other than it allegedly being a little quicker) to me personally and my usage patterns to warrant a change.

4. Michael Habel

...after a few months, to let everyone else sort out the normal issues.

And when MicroSoft make good on theit threats to though the proverbial "it", at the Walls to see what stick... Stinks so as NOT to upset the Banker Classes? e.g. Patch Tuesday? I'll be sitting here on Window 7 x64 thank you....

4. Blank-Reg
    Windows

My first thought: What's the catch?

My second thought: I think I'll wait a bit...

5. TonyJ

Still doing 32bit

Noticed on MSDN the insider preview comes in a 32 bit flavour. I am surprised they still do x86 client OS's these days.

1. dogged

Re: Still doing 32bit

It's mainly for cheap tablets (1GB of RAM and no GPU - why would you want 64bit?)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But the iPhone people say that 64 bit is essential on tablets with 1GB because it runs so much faster. I hope you're not claiming that they're full of it.

1. dogged

Hey, if the iPhone people say that, it must be true. They invented computers in 1864, right?

6. Beau
    Happy

Windows 10?

Well if windows is running to form:-

XP Good.

Vista Rubbish.

7 Good.

8 Rubbish.

10 Good?

Well, lets wait and see, at least that's what I'll be doing!

1. dogged

Re: Windows 10?

You forgot 2K which was also good.

And Vista wasn't rubbish - it just came supplied on a lot of terrible hardware.

Pre SP1, XP was anything but good. I'd say fuckawful, actually. No security by default, firewall turned off, IE6 doing its awful, awful thing.... nope, can't think of a single good thing about XP at release.

Basically, this whole "alternating versions" meme is bullshit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

We only remember the latter half of XPs life because it has lasted so very very long. I remember El'reg ranting about fisher price back in the day, talking about upgrading the old NT/2k business environment to XP ahh. The more things change the more they stay the same.

1. jason 7

I also remember all the hassle of 60Hz issues in gaming in the early days of XP. Can't remember what it was exactly but it caused a lot of confusion in the early days.

As mentioned Vista just got burnt through cheapskate OEM suppliers (it'll run just the same as XP with 512MB of ram won't it?) and lazy third party driver development.

2. Arctic fox
        Windows

@dogged Re:"Pre SP1, XP was anything but good"

To be honest I would so far as to say that it only became seriously usable with SP2. However, I entirely agree that it was the pits (something the XP-fanbois have an extremely selective memory about) before SP1.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Basically, this whole "alternating versions" meme is bullshit."

It definitely worked with Star Trek films though.

1. Michael Habel

"Basically, this whole "alternating versions" meme is bullshit."

It definitely worked with Star Trek films though.

So wait are your saying that Wrath of Khan sucked?

4. GitMeMyShootinIrons

"You forgot 2K which was also good."

True, but it was neck and neck with Millennium edition which was, shall we say, less good.

1. Curtis

ME was only released because users saw "2000" and thought "Upgrade to 98!" MS hurried a release of a stableish XP beta to upgrade the accidental 2k installs for the terminally lost

1. dogged

While that's true, it's Microsoft's fault (specifically the marketing department,as usual).

They could have just called 2K NT5 (which is what it actually was) and avoided all those issues.

1. dogged

Oh look, my downvoter is back! Thanks. My posts were looking a bit naked without your endless scorched-earth policy on downvoting literally everything I ever say.

"prick" icon, please.

5. RS232 4 Eva

Vista was rubbish. Even on a brand new gaming PC it was a constant pain in the neck. Put it this way it was bad enough for me to spend £50 on a Windows 7 pre-order.

1. dogged

> Vista was rubbish. Even on a brand new gaming PC it was a constant pain in the neck

No, it had UAC which probably irritated you and needed hefty hardware. Clearly your brand new gaming PC was underspecced.

6. 142

> Pre SP1, XP was anything but good. I'd say fuckawful, actually

But after the car crash that was Windows Me, it was a Da Vinci masterpiece..

7. Tom 38

Pre SP1, XP was anything but good. I'd say fuckawful, actually. No security by default, firewall turned off, IE6 doing its awful, awful thing

People have such short memories, when IE 6 first came out, it was fucking amazing - when compared to all the different vagaries of IE 5, 5.01, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.5. I swear to god, each one of them required a different hack to get right. Firefox (or as we called it back then, Phoenix), didn't really exist yet apart from a beta that no-one other than us geeks used, and we still had to support Netscape 4.

Early XP was 2k with some extra candy, which was nice as 2k was NT 4 with USB and some candy.

People still used 98 and ME for gods sake. Some perspective before denigrating XP!

8. Chika
        Unhappy

Basically, this whole "alternating versions" meme is bullshit.

Not to mention boring. Every time they wheel out a new version, somebody revives it.

2. Michael Habel

2k - Good

XP - Got better with age

Vista - Got shafted by overly broad interpretations of Minimal Hardware OEM's took

7 Actually fits the definition of "Good", MicroSoft never took it anywhere though post SP1... Oh how I'd welcome a simple post SP1 Rollup!

8 & 8.1 - Brain dead from birth

10 - Candy Crush... The death of Patch Tuesday's... The birth of Windows as a Service? What's not to dislike about this already?!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone seen Kingsman ? Remember those free sims Valentine handed out...........

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

I'll wait for SP1

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

I thought the idea was that there would be no SP1 (nor Win 11) as such, just a progression of updates/features/patches.

1. wdmot

@graeme leggett

Exactly. So, I'll just wait for SP1 too.

2. Michael Habel
      Joke

I'll wait for SP1

I think you got your Triangles missed up. I think you meant to use this this One instead.

9. GregC
    Meh

Like most others here I'll be adopting a wait-and-see approach, though even priced at £0 there's nothing that makes me think it would actually be worth the download. Yes, the Start menu is back - but the overall look and feel is still fugly to me. As for the other "highlights" - don't care about Cortana, don't care about Universal Apps, Edge is irrelevant for me - just all seems a bit meh, really...

Maybe I'm just being miserable git on a Monday morning.

10. Evoflash

Loving the free upgrade

Really pleased I can upgrade from 7 to 10 for free. Delighted in fact. Might even go for it straight away.

I'm wild like that.

1. dogged

Re: Loving the free upgrade

I have quite hard time seeing why anyone would wait past the free year, to be honest.

Take a backup image, make sure you only write data to a non-system drive, install.

If you don't like it, restore. Why not? It's not as if it's expensive.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Time is money.

Time to take the backup

Time to install W10

Time to find out that it is a POS

Time to restore the backup

At $150/hour then yes it does become expensive

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But then you get the cost back through applying your experience - and billing - when asked to upgrade someone's computer.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

At $150/hour get someone else to do it for you.

1. Darryl

"At $150/hour get someone else to do it for you."

Or at least give yourself some sort of 'friends and family' discount.

3. Chika

Time is money.

Does that mean that time is evil?

Time to take the backup

Which some folk won't bother with because it takes time.

Time to install W10

Time to feed the fish.

Time to find out that it is a POS

Time to clean the tank.

Time to restore the backup

Time to swear like a sailor because you couldn't be bothered to take a backup (see above)

At $150/hour then yes it does become expensive

Is that the going rate these days?!?

4. Evoflash

How do you sleep when it costs you so much?

2. Paul Shirley

@dogged

Unless there's no downgrade right and you've just surrendered the Win7/8 licence for the upgrade. Restoring an image may not be an option.

1. dogged

@Paul Shirley

Historically, Microsoft have never "deactivated" a license key once you've used it to upgrade. Of course, that doesn't mean they can't do it and it doesn't mean they are incapable of doing something that stupid but in the 20 years since Windows 95, it has never happened yet.

And just for anyone who thinks restoring an image takes too long - incidentally, if you think that you have no business being in this industry -

http://www.howtogeek.com/75496/how-to-reinstall-windows-without-having-to-reactivate/

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: @Paul Shirley

@dogged

I seem to recall that Microsoft, or the US Government, once disabled the Windows machines owned by whichever wicked government was wickedly ruling Afghanistan in those wicked times.

True, MS are unlikely to bother a private individual who keeps himself inconspicuous, but corporations are another matter.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Historically, Microsoft have never "deactivated" a license key once you've used it to upgrade."

It's hard to see how they could. You have to be able to restore Windows after wiping the system and your restoration media will be for the previous version. Unless MS want a really big legal scrap from everyone who gets a rootkit in the next few years, you'd have to be able to restore that previous version. If MS then allow you to upgrade again to Win10, even after the first year has elapsed, then that's their decision. My guess is that they will, because that's less painful for them than supporting Win7+8 for the next few years.

3. jason 7

Well I have a Dell with the bios update for 7 Pro and no license key (only for Vista) yet with Dell's Windows 7 Pro installed I got the "10 Upgrade" offer.

I would guess these machines (and in effect most OEM machines) wont be affected by any license loss.

2. DuncanL

Re: @dogged

You can roll back (assuming you're coming from Win 7 SP1 or newer via the in-place upgrade): https://techingiteasy.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/how-to-rollback-to-a-previous-version-of-windows-from-windows-10/

3. Chika

Re: @dogged

Bullseye. In all that I've read and heard so far, this is one of the biggest reasons to be cautious about this.

• How far can we go to maintain our previous installation in case the new one goes pear shaped?
          • If I were to use the licence for a Windows 7 machine but install W10 on a clean drive, could I drop back again if I don't like what I get?
          • What are the overall requirements for rebuilding should a W10 installation from free need rebuilding after the first year is up?
          I suspect (and certainly hope) that details like these will come forward before the release. What I don't want is a system that is effectively bricked because W10 didn't go in as planned yet I'm not allowed to drop back to whatever came before.

3. hplasm
        Windows

"If you don't like it, restore. Why not? It's not as if it's expensive."

What was that old trotted out line... "... Linux is only free if your time has no value?"

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: If you don't like it, restore. Why not?

Because you won't have a windows 7 key anymore, you "upgraded" it to a Windows 10 one..

I have quite hard time seeing why anyone would want to downgrade to Windows 10 anyway, you seem to lose quite alot of things, for example Aero...

2. harmjschoonhoven

There is no free lunch. You will at least have to surrender a valid e-mail address to reserve your Microsoft® Windows 10.

1. Fair Dinkum

Spamgourmet.com to the rescue. been using it for tn+ years.

2. Androgynous Cowherd

Oh no you don't....

3. Planty Bronze badge

Good luck with that. Word on the street is that it's a one way trip. Once you upgrade to Windows 10, there is no way back. Your licence key is irreversibly "upgraded" from a Win7 licence to a Win10 licence. Conviently (for Microsoft), there is no way to buy Windows 7 licences any more in retai either.

In other words, you didn't want to buy Metro, so this is a way to force the Metro on you, with no way back...

1. dogged

> Word on the street is that it's a one way trip. Once you upgrade to Windows 10, there is no way back. Your licence key is irreversibly "upgraded" from a Win7 licence to a Win10 licence. Conviently (for Microsoft), there is no way to buy Windows 7 licences any more in retai either.

Word on the street is absolutely, irrevocably, and massively wrong then. Was "word on the street" spread by Bob Vistakin, perhaps?

As others have linked here, Windows 10 actually has an inbuilt system for rolling back to your old OS version. "Word on the street" my arse. Word on Slashdot, maybe.

2. Shufflemoomin

"Word on the street". Can't get more of an ironclad source than that, can you? Unless you'd care to give us a source we'd actually believe?

4. Chika

Yeah, but I can imagine the rush to get it at the start. I can afford to wait a little until the initial rush dies down and the opening bug gambit has at least made itself known.

Just remember; every new version of Windows had problems somewhere. Quite often it was driver issues and non-supported hardware, often it was all the problems of inherited code when you tried to upgrade, sometimes it was software incompatibilities, and we don't quite know about some of the new features that might go boobies up in a fully working environment.

Of course there will always be those that insist on having the code on day 1 - these are important people as they do all the suffering through these problems which the rest of us can then pick up on when we finally get around to doing our upgrades.

11. Robert E A Harvey

Signed up!

I'm going to let it do it ASAP. I never wanted 8.1 in the first place, and it can't be worse

can it?

1. jbuk1

Re: Signed up!

What exactly is wrong with 8.1 and please don't tell the start menu.

What sort of IT professional has even used the start menu since one of the XP updates introduced the ability to search it.

Windows Key + first few characters of program name, enter. Boom. Exactly the same in 8.1, 8, 7, XP SP2.

I can't believe in 2015 people are still slowly navigating through a start menu. Painful.

1. jonathan1

Erm,

<begin snark>

Well, I pin the apps I want to use regularly, in either the start menu or the task bar. I mean who repeatedly searches for the same thing...

</end snark>

Everyone has their own way of doing something, all because you do it one way doesn't mean all other ways are less valid or wrong. Besides if you've been using the start menu since Windows 95...old habits die hard and all that. I was that guy who used to to turn off Aero just to make it 'classic' looking. I don't like change - he sobs rocking in the corner.. :o(. I've got over that now with a lot of love and theorapy.

2. Paul Shirley

"Windows Key + first few characters of program name, enter. Boom."

Window Key + "readme" + expand the files results + try to guess without the help of a folder path which of the 28 files is the one I want. Yes, really helpful.

That hierarchical menu Microsoft are so determined to take away is there for when search isn't good enough or when I can't even remember what the thing I'm looking for is called. An option you apparently don't need but that's NO REASON to deprive me of it.

3. Robert E A Harvey

Re: Whats wrong with W8.1

Ok, lets ignore the UI, except for a pointless irritation. To shut down you click the biottom left and then the top right of the screen. Minor, but bad design.

Things I don't like:

Built in backup programme does not allow the restoration of a single file. All or nothing. Yes, I can buy a 3rd party backup, in fact I have.

File Histories. A very nearly good idea, shadowing changes in a way that can be recovered with tools or with an ordinary file exploder. Except it /must/ be on an external drive, you can't even use an extra internal one unless you do some serious chicken-sacrificing.

Folders and libraries. Libraries were a very nearly good idea, but are deprecated in W8.1 and hidden by default (whats that you say Sooty? file Histories uses libraries to decide what to back up, but that is kept a secret? Gosh)

Context-sensitive help has been abandoned. Hundreds of blue links from the minimalist help pages link to web pages that aren't there any more. When I complained I was told to search the online help!

You say you don't want to hear about the start menu, but the TIFKAM philosophy permeated everything but wasn't finished. The control panel is an unholy mess.

There are two versions of IE, two versions of Onenote, etc etc. depending if you start them from the desktop or the TIKKAM start cinerama. They don't share file histories, cookies, bookmarks etc. they barely use the same screen and keyboard.

Printing stops radio playback. Really. In 2015. A mere 60 years after multi-tasking was invented, on a 4-core cpu with more mips than a mainframe.

USB3 never achieves full speed.

The built-in Skype can only be used full screen. In 2015.

I liked Aero.

The OneDrive integration is clumsy and coarsegrained. The oneDriveForBusiness integration is worse.

Accessing app setups via the charms thing on the right still baffles me. They seem to mix app settings and spystem settings.

I like some of the UI improvements in the file exploder, and in general the start menu livetiles are quite clever. Around 10 years ago I could have small areas of the KDE desktop updating from daemons. I find live tiles nostalgic. Pity 99% of apps can't do it.

I have had to replace scanners, printers and software that wouldn't run on it. No bad thing perhaps, except quite a lot of new stuff is worse than whatbI had before. HP. canon.

My new TOMTOM never worked on XP, but is fine on W8.1. The built in camera app works better with my Conrad microscope than the conrad programme. So its not all bad. But most of it drives me to disrraction with a hundred tiny annoyances that I've not mentioned here. It is smug and insufferable even when its wrong!

12. James Boag

Anyone know how long the W10 lasts

With this windows 10 (I've got 8.1 and a dose of the clap would be an improvement) free upgrade is this a Free for ever, or is this a free for 12 months (MS Crack Dealer model) ?

1. Ed Courtenay

Re: Anyone know how long the W10 lasts

You can upgrade your 8.1 installation to Windows 10 for free with no extra charges after 12 months have elapsed. Those who choose not to take up the offer during the first year will then have to pay to upgrade.

13. Ru'

Does anyone know how the upgrade will be handled? Will it be like a windows update type patch, or can you download the whole OS and install it on another partition to try it all out before you really commit to wiping out a semi decent win7 system?

Apologies for being apparently unwilling to google an answer...

1. Paul Shirley

It was possible to capture the Win8 upgrade folder between download and install. You'll probably need to clone the old OS to pass the licence check though. Don't be surprised if your Win7 then becomes unlicensed. Might get away with killing network access on the trial and running in trial mode.

2. Ed Courtenay

If the current mechanism in Windows 10 is anything to go by, it will be delivered as an in-place upgrade.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

You can download the Insider test version now to try. So far it still hasn't been able to find my printer.

14. damworker

So I upgrade to 10 from 7 or 8.1 (no xp now) anytime in the next year.

How long before they drop the "10" and it's just "Windows" and I have to start paying a subscription or be unsupported?

1. Sebby

Not sure I wouldn't prefer a subscription model on the theory that at least that way Microsoft will have a strong reason for keeping both costs and changes minimal and robust.

Then again, OSaaS is a terrible idea; it'd be just as easy to drop support ASAP and charge for upgrades, without holding people to ransom over what they already have (though I suppose patches count as bribe fodder also).

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure I could probably go and look this up but is the free upgrade to Windows 10 actually free for ever or does it move you over to a subscription model but with a free first year? I might be imagining it but I thought Microsoft said they were moving to an upgrade forever model for Windows which sounds very much like subscription to me.

16. streeeeetch

Have both

Drives are dirt cheap. Whack another drive in. Install Win10. Like it, keep it. Don't like it, stick it in a caddy. Or more likely, when they try a subscription on a year down the line, get it out of the drawer and go back to your trusty Win7.

17. Mark C Casey

Edge and other search engines

Fun fact, you can't change the search engine away from bing in Edge/Spartan. You're stuck with bing.

So much for search engine choice.

Knock Google all you like but at least they let you change the search engine in Chrome.

1. dogged

Re: Edge and other search engines

> Fun fact, you can't change the search engine away from bing in Edge/Spartan. You're stuck with bing.

For now, in the preview/beta, this is true. I'll bet you a tenner it won't be true by July 29th.

1. nick soph

Didnt see your comment before posting mine but if Steve Ballmer was still in charge I might of taken you up on the bet.

2. midcapwarrior

I have the latest build and yes you can change the default search.

2. nick soph

How to kill a browser in one easy lesson. Somebody tell me this isnt true.

18. Sebby

My Windows Upgrade Benchmark

Will I still need Classic Shell after the Win10 upgrade? That's the only real question I need answered.

I only upgraded to Win8.1 for ticklessness and SMB3. But the Win7 and Win8/8.1 Start menus/screens are awful, so I want to hear that I can go back to a nice scrolling list.

Of course, I will be disappointed to hear that I can't. So I'll upgrade just because, and still end up using Classic Shell. :(

1. John Sanders
      Holmes

Re: My Windows Upgrade Benchmark

Win 10 is even more of a departure from the old WinXP Win7 interfaces than Win 8.x, it may have a rectangular area you can invoke from a button in the lower left corner of the screen mimicking the old start menu, but (most of) the rest of the interface has been metro-fied further than it was in Win 8.1

2. Chika

Re: My Windows Upgrade Benchmark

Will I still need Classic Shell after the Win10 upgrade? That's the only real question I need answered.

It really depends on how you want to use your system. Microsoft have returned most of the function and functionality of the start menu to W10 - they just amalgamated TIFKAM into the second column of the menu that was used in XP, Vista and 7 for all the pinned/recently used applications.

However Classic Shell was used for more than just giving you a start menu...

19. x 7

Just got the "Get Windows 10" alert flag in the system tray on one of my laptops, so copy "reserved" and waiting for the big day....

20. DuncanL

New install upgrade vs "in place"

(Reposting here' since the earlier Win 10 story has been closed before anyone could reply)

My ideal plan would be to re-install a fresh version of Win 10 on a shiny new SSD; but taking advantage of the free upgrade from my existing Win 7 license.

Do we know yet if the "free upgrade" will cover this (downloading a full Win 10 ISO and then entering a Win 7 key at some point)? Rather than installing Win7 again onto the SSD just to upgrade it?

1. Robert E A Harvey

Re: New install upgrade vs "in place"

1. Clone W7 onto new drive

2. Remove and preserve W7 drive

3. Insert and start up W7 clone. Make necessary phone calls if it wants re-auth

4. Update.

How hard is that?

2. dogged

According to Paul Thurrott you can use your license key on a clean .ISO install.

AND roll it back to Win7 or 8.n without "deactivating" your earlier license key, despite FUD spread in these very forums.

1. Paul Shirley

@dogged: I can see the 'clean install' bit (completely expected since every paid upgrade has allowed this). I don't see mention of downgrading however.

One new thing he let's slip is a Windows Store account is now mandatory for the upgrade - even with a clean install. So a step back from Win8, though we were compelled to have the otherwise useless account to get Win8.1.

21. paulmedynski
    WTF?

Free for Vista Users?

Any word on whether or not Win10 will be made available free to Vista users? I don't own Win7 or Win8, and I'm not interested in in-place upgrading my Vista system. I'd like to do a fresh install of Win10. My hardware is new, so shouldn't be any compatibility/horsepower problems. Seems strange to leave out a relatively small population of (loyal?) Windows users that Microsoft is still supporting with OS updates (ie not EOL like XP). Why not encourage people to get off of Vista?

1. websey

Re: Free for Vista Users?

Vista was EOL'd a long time ago, no free upgrade for you my friend

1. Chika

Vista was EOL'd a long time ago, no free upgrade for you my friend

Vista EOL is April 11 2017.

Not that I expect M$ to consider a free upgrade for something that failed that hard though, for your sake at least, I hope I'm wrong.

2. David Gosnell

Of course they offered a free upgrade to 7 at the time. Well, that was "free" as in "free rein for computer manufacturers to charge what the hell they liked for install media", so anything up to about £50 or £60 for a DVD from what I can remember, depending on their crookedness. So it would be nice to offer an olive branch to presumably thousands of users who refused to be ripped off quite so royally back then.

22. Alan Sharkey

I've registered

My Windows 8.1 machine had an icon in the notification bar this morning, asking me to register my interest - so I did.

The icon didn't go away, But I did hide it.

When W10 does arrive, I will still install Classic Shell to give me the proper menu back (I'm on the Insider program). I am a professional who DOES use the menu.

Alan

23. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Childcatcher

We are getting those malvertisement popups...

...for a free WIndows upgrade NAOW.

Who had that brilliant idea? Difficult-to-distinguish from badware and inappropriate in a business setting.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: We are getting those malvertisement popups...

In business setting just use WSUS and weed out the Win10 upgrade updates.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: We are getting those malvertisement popups...

So, unless you use WSUS your are assumed to be in a crappy consumer setting feeding on consumer shit (like, I suppose, Windows) and addies can be pushed into your face?

Great marketing logic.

24. 0laf

Hmmm. Time to order that SSD.

I'll take the free download ta but I'll hang onto my old Win7 install for a while yet.

Good excuse to upgrade the spinning rust to an SSD though.

1. Nifty Silver badge

W10 will phone home to convert your W7 license to a W10 one.

When you start the original W7 you cloned from it'll phone home and announce you have invalid Windows and shut down.

25. Nifty Silver badge

W7 borked (by design) recording from the soundcard.

W8 borked many USB sticks and driver dependent devices. e.g. my Q2 radio setup program. Without that I'd have a bricked Q2 after some time as the radio servers change.

Will W10 bork Get_iPlayer and a load of other things that currently still work on W7 like Sansa Clip+ USB port access?

How good will W10's backward compatibility modes be? Questions, questions.

I'll wait till the 364th day and see.

26. Innocent-Bystander*

Question for the Licensing Gurus in the Room

So, this goes out to those who know more about Windows Licensing than I do (that'll probably be the majority of you).

My current 8.1 license is an upgrade on top of a Windows 7 OEM one.

Once I install Windows 10, then change my motherboard, will it still work; considering that its origin story is a Windows 7 OEM license?

My guess it will technically work, because the clean install will only ask for the Windows 8 disc, but it won't be kosher on the licensing front (which is fine by me). Would be nice to have confirmation of that though.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

already sick of cortana

spreading her charms on the telly (background noise). Funny enough, most people (including my 6 and 8 year old kids) are well-aware of what a voice-recognition system can do (not), thanks to that useless apple feature (sari, or something), and a clash between the reality and what they see in the advert is clear even to the young ones. Oh well, they'll get there in the end. I'm not sure I want to live long enough to see those days...

28. Fred Dibnah

29 July?

That only gives MS one month 60 days to sort out the abortion that is the start menu, put all the settings back in one location, make windows all behave the same etc. etc. etc..

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: 29 July?

You missed out the fact that the Control Panel (and Spartan/Edge) doesn't work if you are logged in as Administrator. I'm guessing I've just got the wrong kind of leaves, er, administrative account, but I'm only guessing because Windows won't say why it has a problem with this when all previous versions managed fine.

29. Lost in Cyberspace

Only 12 months to upgrade for free...

Yep, that will be fun when I need to re-install an upgraded PC, and my client has no record whatsoever of the upgrade to 10...

30. jason 7

I can see the panic now!

I do part time IT support work for a group of IFAs that due to the systems they use, are still limited to running Windows 7 Pro (the version of Citrix they use doesn't work with 8 or higher) and their IT dept hasn't done anything the past two+ years to fix that. It's annoying as all the laptops have to be encrypted and obviously Windows 8/8.1 Pro has Bitlocker all built in, unlike 7.

Now that all their users will be getting "Hey upgrade to Windows 10!" messages I hope they have gone on full alert.

31. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Meh

I'm

goning to give it 364 days after July 29th to 'upgrade' to win10

Make sure the bastards have'nt decided on a software as a service model and charge us £100/yr to access our data held on our computers in our properties....

Hmmm that business model reminds me of those cryptolocker malware people.... maybe thats where M$ got the idea from...

32. Nya
    Coat

Friday?!

Releasing this on a Friday, will anyone actually notice anything until Monday anyhow?

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

August Market share report

The August market share report will make interesting reading... 3 days in July i doubt it will show up.

how many other OS will be lower % than windows 10?

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

34. Grade%
    Windows

Uninstall Windows Update KB3035583

I LIKE Aero! It's MY taskbar and I say what displays there. Hmmph. The nerve.

35. JLV

about the different Windows editions...

(I originally had a question about whether I could go 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro, because this article wasn't very clear about that aspect)

These guys have that info:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-from-windows-7-or-windows-8-2015-6

I probably won't wait till day 364 to upgrade my laptop, but I won't rush into it either. Cautiously optimistic that they've learned from Windows 8 but others can take point.

p.s. what's with the wording around reserve your copy of Windows 10 bit? are they going to run out? Seems like a fairly transparent ploy to get everyone to upgrade ASAP, possibly quicker than caution warrants.

36. Russle

Swat

I wonder how many people will be swatted the first week?

Serves them right, dumb asses

37. Smoking Gun

Windows 10.1, chicken dinner right there.

38. Ed Mozley

Pudding required

For proof. Using windows 8.1 continues to be a nightmare.

Copying photos from my iPhone using explorer crashes - this is a well documented problem.

If I change my password at work then the mail app keeps submitting old credentials in the background without telling me causing account to lock out.

Quality of metro or whatever the heck it's called is so bad that I simply don't bother.

Web browser is years behind chrome.

I hate everything about the look and feel - dodgy fonts, gaudy colours, weird sizes and spacing of toolbars.

That is all.

39. MJI Silver badge

Wellllllllllllllll

There are two PCs I use a lot, One XP, one 7.

From what I can see 7 is the last Windows OS written for the older experienced user, the person used to menus, to things being in a certain place. But it is still just a step too far (I had to upgrade Paint to a version with menus)

I will admit I detest ribbon menus, I detest icon only menus, What does the frying pan do? What does the combine harvester do?

My XP PC is almost like an old friend. I know where everything is, I can dive in deep and fix things, I can run any software I want. WIth the embedded registry fix it is supported as long as the 7 PC.

There is a 8.x PC at work, no one wants to use it, Nothing is where you expect. It just winds us up.

Anyway I built 2 x 7/Mint PCs last year, Linux was easier to get SSD ready, Mozilla software was easy to make dual usable, shared contents and settings. I learnt enough about Linux to not feel lost.

So I put a little 1/2 Terabyte drive in the XP PC and installed the latest version of Mint, that was pretty easy and it works well. On the Windows side the willitrun .exes from MS just sit there doing nothing.

Anyway XP is quad core, plenty of RAM, 2TB of HDD so I checked the specifications.

There is one thing missing from the CPU is NX support, and this is a recent one, released around the time of Vista.

So looks like that PC will have to stay XP or Linux. But is it right that I would be happy with a new version of Windows which worked like 2000 or XP?

40. Gis Bun

Microsoft has not said when OEMs [Dell, HP, etc.] will get the RTM. I am guessing maybe even before July 29th. OEMs would want new systems to have it in store at or just before the end of August in time for the school season.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like