back to article Case for drone usage now overwhelming as Enrique Iglesias concert almost stopped

Singer Enrique Iglesias came off worse from a scrap with a UAV during a concert in Tijuana, Mexico, over the weekend. According to a representative of the Spanish crooner, "a drone is used to get crowd shots and some nights Enrique grabs the drone to give the audience a Point of View shot". "Something went wrong and he had an …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Self-inflicted

Quote: "Grabs the drone".

Riiiiight... So... grabbing a contraption with 4 sets of counterrorating blades each of which is capable of removing a finger...

Hmm... I will personally pass on this one...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Self-inflicted

Care to explain what happened to Voland's left hand?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Self-inflicted

Care to explain what happened to Voland's left hand?

Nothing drone related. Just, according to the book, the henchman that can be identified as the "left one" does not have a sense of humour.

I suggest reading Bulgakov for a more detailed explanation.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There he was...

...just droning on...

3. Chris G

Successful

Doesn't necessarily mean intelligent.

4. Joe 48

The Camera Man

Was heard muttering something about "Missing".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drone^H^H^H^H^H quad copter incident on the news.. quick scan of the photos.. ah yet another wanker with a DJI contraption flying it over people.

6. SolidSquid

I'm missing the point where him grabbing a currently flying drone out of the air is the fault of the drone or the operator. Bloody stupid thing to be doing

1. Mage Silver badge

Why didn't they just give him a shoulder cam?

Nitwits.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Re: Mage

"....Nitwits." Indeed, downright moronic! No-one stopped to think "Hey, what happens if it all goes wrong and the drone ends up hitting the crowd with all those unshielded blades spinning away?" Surely it can't be too hard to put some form of ring or tube with a mesh covering around each rotor to make them less likely to cause injury (might even make the rotor more efficient).

7. Velv
    Childcatcher

I've Ben to Tijuana. Drones are the least dangerous thing he's likely to encounter!

And that's not even counting the Tijuana Zebras (SFW, but not much else about Tijuana is!)

8. TM2015

Looks like a DJI Inspire 1 from the photos.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh brilliant.

Muppet grabs drone, gets cut fingers. Cue cries of "legislate legislate legislate".

Well done you cock womble....

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here..

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1d6_1433104588

Video of the clown...

1. Allan George Dyer
      Joke

Re: Here..

It was shocking, all I could hear was cries of pain!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Idiots

Maybe common sense ain't so common?

12. Graham Marsden
    Mushroom

It was obviously...

... the wrong sort of drone.

(Should have been one of the ones that carry Hellfire missiles...)

13. imanidiot Silver badge
    Facepalm

It was his own fault

The guy clearly stuck his own fingers up there while holding the quadcopter below it's CG. Gust of wind blows it out of balance, leveling system tries to intervene but ends up pulling it even futher out of balance because it's being held and it ends up rolling straight into his hand.

Remind me, why do I keep saying that flying ANY remotely piloted craft near a person or crowd of people is a bad idea?

1. Chris G

Re: It was his own fault

It was a near miss for Darwin!

Better luck next time eh?

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Coat

So when he sticks his finger into the running belt of his car engine, you'll tell us that cars shouldn't be allowed near people either?

Perhaps he should have just been wearing the correct Personal Protective Equipment to keep his fingers out of harm's way? A straight jacket?

1. imanidiot Silver badge

The belt of a car engine is well protected. You have to make an effort to get your fingers in there. Multicopter rotors are out in the open, ready to cut anyone foolish or unfortunate enough to get too close. Car belts also don't have a tendency to come falling out of the sky if the battery unexpectedly dies or some electronics blow up or someone makes a pilot error, etc, etc.

It's fine racing around a racetrack, but that's with sturdy barriers and a good distance between the speeding cars and their timing belts. You don't go racing a car around with its front end bodywork removed through a shopping center. So why would you fly a (large) drone over a crowd?

3. Patrick R
      Holmes

The funny (?) thing is that he hurts himself the first time then tries it again. 40 years old...

Ouch, this thing is really sharp and armful, lets throw it in the crowd! When fans hit the fans.

14. Mark 85
    WTF?

A rational person wouldn't stick one's hand (or face) in a blender, I would think. So why grab a drone with 4 whirling veg-o-matics? I have to wonder at the brains of most so-called celebrities/stars and their fans.

We need an "idiot in the news" icon.....

15. KungFuDazza

Marketing campaign goes badly, no wait, BRILLIANTLY.

16. CrosscutSaw

Confused

Why does this goober still have a career?

17. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    IT Angle

Gave his fans the finger ....

Wow, what a chop! (From that blade, I mean).

What's the IT angle? You need at least 3 working fingers to stabilize a MS OS?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like