back to article Apple: Relax, fanbois! We never meant to read your heart rate during wild wrist action

Apple – having tweaked how its Watch monitors a customer's heart rate – has been forced to explain the change, after fitness freaks freaked out about the gizmo's irregular tracking function. On Saturday, in an update on its support page, the iThing maker explained that Apple's wristjob "attempts to measure your heart rate …

1. eSeM

So .....

This wont affect the masturbation app?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: So .....

Won't make any difference, it's a bit wank anyway.

1. Crisp

I don't know why they don't toss it...

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

I agree, they can't hand Jobs the credit for it either.

2. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

You're fapping it wrong.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This article is just w**k ....i will get my coat, well dirty old mac really!

3. Eddy Ito

Does this mean that the watch thief now has a new strategy with a 10 minute window or is a matter of constant listening but not recording? Either way, I know some rather fidgety people who would be lucky to get a single record in default mode.

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Gimp

Doggy style

For the style and health concious Fandoggie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/11641715/Meet-the-dog-who-wears-gold-Apple-watches-worth-more-than-26000.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doggy style

Well I guess when you're the only child of a guy worth $30+ billion, buying a pair of gold Apple Watches for your dog is like you or I buying the dog a collar from the discount bin at Petco.

This is exactly the sort of thing that caused a revolution in France a couple centuries ago, China's ruling class better tell their billionaires to "watch" out!

5. gerryg

er, wrist rate

They might be wankers, but the last time I checked (see what I did there) right-handers wear their watch on their left wrist and left-handers on their right wrist.

1. Ken Y-N
      Coat

Re: er, wrist rate

But if you use your left hand it feels li...I'll get my coat.

2. MrDamage Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: er, wrist rate

Never heard of changing hands every 100 strokes to maintain an even workout and avoid cramps?

What? You don't last 100 strokes?

6. James Loughner

Seems to me the heart rate is more interesting at times of exercise say jogging then when sitting still.

1. SuccessCase

When exercising, you use the workout app.

When at rest, the watch records your resting heart rate (which is a health function rather than a fitness function).

The watch also monitors how much you have exerted yourself during the day. You can set target for movement which is monitored in terms of calorie burn. The calorie burn calculations use heart rate data and regardless of whether you have used the workout app or not, a record of exercise gets added to your exercise record for the day, whenever you have an elevated heart rate. The heart rate measurements are taken less frequently when not in the workout app.

Yesterday I went for a cycle ride on a course I cycle often. I started the workout app and paused the workout part way through when I was waiting to meet a co-rider, but after we met, I forgot to unpause the app. It was a good daily session (about 45k), so I was annoyed when I realised I had failed to resume the workout app, assuming the exercise session would have failed to register against my daily target. When I checked the exercise app, the recorded calorie output was, as I expected, far lower than it should have been (about 550 calories when normally over that course it would have been about 1500+). However when I checked my daily exercise record, I was pleased to see my energy output had been recorded (so I still exceeded my daily target). Over 1200 calories had been added to my tracked exercise for the day. So this confirms the watch tracks exercise even when not in the workout app. However I noticed the amount added was about 20% less than it would normally have been if I had used the exercise app throughout the course.

So, to me it is clear the behaviour of the watch is:

1. Any elevated heart rate is tracked as exercise and added to your exercise record. If you are not specifically in the workout app, the sampling rate is clearly lower. It may take a while before the watch registers that you have an elevated heart rate. And once it decides you are exercising, my guess is that it does so less accurately (with a lower sample rate) than if you specifically start the workout app. It makes a record of your energy output for exercise tracking and checking if you are meeting daily targets (if you want that function), but, though it checks your heart rate every now and then, doesn't keep a record of your heart rate when it is elevated.

2. Switch on the exercise app and the tracking of energy output is more accurate and done with a higher sample rate for your heart rate. Plus it keeps a record of your heart-rate throughout.

4. When not in the exercise app, though the watch checks your heart rate, it only takes a record of your resting heart rate. I presume this behaviour is deliberate and is a health monitoring function (e.g. specifically not an exercise record). Resting heart rate is a significant health metric. Lower resting heart rate indicates a higher general fitness.

7. Mark 85
    WTF?

So instead of taking a 10 minute break every so often and exercising or moving about as many docs recommend, we'll have to take 10 minutes or so of quietude to relax so the watch can tell our heart is beating?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think you'll be able to figure out if it is not beating. Either that or you won't care anymore.

[Be still my beating heart. Please. Seriously.]

8. Mephistro
    Devil

"...if you're flapping around..."

I won't tell you how I misread that ('cos it's quite obvious). :-D

Anyway, I reckon this is a feature, designed to protect the privacy of the users in those 'private moments'. Otherwise, this app could be the cause of lots of divorces.

9. John H Woods Silver badge

"Apple's update to the Watch software had alarmed some folk, who suddenly spotted that fewer records of their heart rate were being stored on the device.

Some fanbois suggested that Apple was grappling with a bug. Not so, apparently.

Yup, it's a feature, not a bug ..."

Non-pathological vendor approach: update has new feature; is explained in update release notes; perhaps even include a settings option which can change the default, albeit defaulted to the new behaviour.

PS @Mephistro, I agree that this may be to protect privacy during "private moments" (I can't see any other reason, surely if you really want to measure your pulse 24x7 you don't want to only measure it at rest. But I'm stunned at your suggestion that revealing such moments could be "the cause of lots of divorces?" Seriously?

10. Mystic Megabyte
    Boffin

The Doctor

If only someone could bypass the emotion suppression circuit these people could be restored to rational thinking beings.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

I think this more about ekeing out a few more minutes of battery life that proving a useful update

After all, a watch that fails after 18 hours is really a bracelet isn't it?

I don't get why would you only want your heart rate when inactive: what's the point?

As an aside I spotted my first couple on the tube wearing real watches on their left wrists and Apple Watches on their right wrists, and it looked just as stupid as you'd imagine it would.

12. wolfetone Silver badge

You know damn well an Apple employee's wife/husband had a quick peek at the heart rate app on their watch and asked them "Jonny, why was your heart rate at 120bpm at 11:30pm when you were downstairs watching TV?"

1. Hans 1

>You know damn well an Apple employee's wife/husband had a quick peek at the heart rate app on their watch and asked them "Jonny, why was your heart rate at 120bpm at 11:30pm when you were downstairs watching TV?"

I's thinking of you, honey!

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"I's thinking of you, honey!"

It's all I've ever done, baby.

13. TRT Silver badge

The trend...

for lifestyle and other snooping activities based on seemingly innocuous data collected for other reasons makes it worrying what they could infer from a pulse.

14. Jedit Silver badge
    Boffin

"Yup, it's a feature, not a bug ..."

The default template for the sensitive bit between your legs is the clitoris; it's the X chromosome that carries the "corrupted data" that modifies a clitoris into a penis. So technically, it's both a feature and a bug.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Yup, it's a feature, not a bug ..."

"The default template..." - A thoroughly interesting and eye-opening comment for sure, but how does this relate to the article?

1. Jedit Silver badge

" how does this relate to the article?"

Without that particular feature the wrist action of the title is unlikely to happen, no?

Regarding the above "fail at science" comment: it was an error made while typing in haste. Of course it is the Y chromosome that induces male characteristics. Still, it's a mistake anyone could make - X is the one with the extra leg, after all.

2. Badvok
      FAIL

We need a 'fail at science' icon to cancel out the 'boffin' icon used above. Though giving the benefit of the doubt it could simply be a typo because X and Y are next to each other on the keyboard aren't they?

1. Hans 1

Indid, vee haf x nekst to y on our keyboarden and vee ze best scientisten, Ja, in ze vorld!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Android non-issue

Google doesn't believe in private moments.

16. nsld
    FAIL

Pointless

If you want to use heart rate measurement to assess health on an ongoing basis you need to record it on an ongoing basis.

Taking a sample every 10 minutes if you are not moving is only going to give you a low point and will tell you nothing about the stresses placed on you during the day so if you spend most of the day stomping round the office screaming at minions you will have no idea of the stress impact on heart rate.

I suspect the update is purely a battery saving tactic and the consideration that it will skew downwards any of the resting energy expenditure or give an insight into the impacts of stress has been ignored.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like