back to article Colour me bad: Kraken time or damp squid with Splatoon

Nintendo might be incapable of depicting any kind of violence in its games (beyond a fat plumber stamping on turtles), but that doesn't mean it can't do team warfare. Splatoon navigates the narrow path between too much violence and too little by furnishing its combatants with water pistols filled with coloured ink. Splatoon …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I don't play many console tyoe games...

...but this looks like it has the key thing missing from many I look at these days...Fun.

2. It'sa Mea... Mario

Amiibo..

The Splatoon Amiibo characters (available at extra cost of course) are meant to add new game modes, however what that amounts too I will not know until I get home from work and get to try my copy that should have arrived with the squid Amiibo :)

3. WonkoTheSane
    Pirate

Don't buy this in the pub

BBC are reporting a truckload of the "Special Edition" (including the Amiibo Mario mentions above) has been stolen en-route to GAME stores.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32915183

1. ukgnome
      Trollface

Re: Don't buy this in the pub

That's OK, I got mine in the car park.

1. AbelSoul
        Trollface

Re: I got mine in the car park.

Fell off the back of a passing lorry?

2. Mark 85

So buying it on e-bay will be ok then?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Pirate

I vaguely remember the original Nintendo stuff release dates (back in the early 90s) were kept totally secret because had they been known, Yakuza thugs would have robbed a few trucks bringing the cartridges to the retailers. Nothing has changed.

3. WonkoTheSane

Why do I suspect whoever modded me down of being the thief?

4. Lamont Cranston
    Unhappy

Was really looking forward to this,

but was crushed to learn that local multiplayer is restricted to 1-on-1. Did Nintendo forget how well-loved GoldenEye was?

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

No f-bombs, no being called gay

I am crushingly disappointed. This adds so much to online multiplayer gameplay. What were Nintendo thinking, they know nothing about videogames.

1. Fibbles

Re: No f-bombs, no being called gay

Presumably you can draw with the ink guns though.

Incoming, massive dripping dicks...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

err what

"Nintendo might be incapable of depicting any kind of violence in its games (beyond a fat plumber stamping on turtles),"

not like they had Bayonetta or No more heroes at all o.O

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: err what

I thought Bayonetta was all legs, penetrating sights and something like Aikido with guns?

7. Yag

Game modes?

No "Capture the fhtagn" mode? Ïa'm disappointed...

1. Wases1949
      Happy

Re: Game modes?

Well...with the game getting free content throughout it's future with new modes, weapons, maps, etc...being aware of a King of the Hill type mode and another mode (being on a moving Tower), there's maybe the chance of a Capture the Flag mode being added in the future...maybe.

Yeah...with that mode being not currently in, at least they're other modes that'll be added/available to play and look fun!

You can look up vids (taken from the Splatoon Direct) previewing some of those modes if you want to gander what they are. =)

8. JonP
    Coat

Damp squid?

...at least you didn't put the game on a pedal stool.

9. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Happy

But its

got hats!

And every gamer and their dog knows that the only thing thats kept TF2 going all these years is the hats

1. Yag

Re: But its

Coming soon : Hydra shooter! Now with at least 7 times more hats!

10. asdf
    Trollface

bah

Lets see you can't make the other person fall down in any way and press the crouch button repeatedly after doing so. So basically missing the best part.

11. IGnatius T Foobar
    Thumb Up

I like this game

Just got my copy of Splatoon and it's definitely a whole lot of fun. Nintendo has shown the world the right way to do a shooter. It's just a whole lot of good clean fun, the graphics are great, the multiplayer is snappy, and the gameplay is smooth. And they did it without all of the gory violence of games like the now-obsolete CoD.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like