back to article Google launches native Android Smart Lock password manager

Android users will be able to store passwords in Google's native Smart Lock manager, in a security boon for the masses. The Choc Factory launched the Smart Lock for Passwords at the I/O conference in San Francisco overnight available in the Android M developer preview. It says developers including Orbitz, Netflix, and The New …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No competition

Okay, when will they federate all my other, several dozen (I'm not joking), accounts hither and yon? Actually I wouldn't put it past them to try., and try very well. PasswordSafe doesn't have anything to worry about for a while.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"A security boon for the masses"

Eh? How will apps being able to automatically pick up previously entered passwords enhance security?

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: "A security boon for the masses"

Because it's only one step away from automatically filling in the password field for you on each site.

That means that an individual site failure doesn't compromise all your passwords. There is still a possible weakness in the chocolate factory to worry about, but this is a good first step towards better passwords, and lower reuse.

If someone is targetting my device then yes, they get my passwords - but that's no different from the situation now. What this does mean is that another moonpig doesn't compromise 3 million people's gmail, facebook and banking passwords...

1. Gerhard Mack

If they do it right then someone gaining access to your phone does not necessarily mean having them gain all of your passwords. Right now my existing password manager logs out on a timeout requiring a new master password login before it will fill passwords again.

1. John Robson Silver badge

No reason the built in version can't do the same (timeout)...

but that's just a second password - WIWTF with the passcode/pattern/word that you log in with.

Or is it actual two factor with the biometric - oh, no that's be an option along with the passcode, so fractionally weaker than WIWTF...

3. I_am_Chris

The way forward

Better OS integration of password managers is the future. Using 3rd party programs can be a ball-ache.

However the OS vendors need to be squeaky clean regarding how they make it work. Plus, must be multi-platform. It'll be useless otherwise.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting

One of the drawbacks of Lastpass, is that Lastpass for Android won't work in Chrome. It comes with it's own browser (Dolphin). Which means a lot of copy'n'paste if you prefer Chrome.

1. Martin Marv

Re: Interesting

Well - it does have the popup thing that works OK in Chrome for Android. It's not as smooth as the Dolphin integration, but it avoids copy and paste on most sites

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, sure

Google I/O Android users will be able to store passwords in Google's native Smart Lock manager, in a security boon for the masses.

No, it's a security boon for whoever has access to that partition, and in that aspect I wouldn't trust Google with the code to a locker full of aged sweaty socks.

Give all your passwords to facilities offered by a company that is (a) US based and (b) mainly engaged in gathering information about people, often in defiance of local laws? Really? Surely you forgot the "joke" icon?

Not today, thank you.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Yeah, sure

Just think, they might be able to get hold of people's Gmail passwords! And once they've got those they could get into any account that uses that address!

Then they could make loads of money by, um, injecting ads into the webmail interface!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, this seems to have some vague similarities to Microsoft's Passport, especially that one company has access to the password(s) that get you into lots of places on the Internets. I didn't trust M$ with such a thing, and not sure I'd trust Google with it either.

3. TReko

The Chrome web browser already has a password manager. I don't know if it syncs between devices, but if it does, your passwords are in the cloud.

Windows has the Credential manager in the Control Panel which picks up saved passwords from IE and syncs them across your domain accounts.

6. Jim 59

Storing your passwords on the Internet

Don't.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Storing your passwords on the Internet

The problem with absolutes like that, is you can end up losing out moving forwards. It's not right. It's not fair. But shit happens.

If you accept (as I do) that the worst outcome possible is to have a single password you use everywhere, then the risk of storing them in a cloudy vault must be lower ? Maybe not much. But enough to justify the notion. Although I am well aware of the dichotomy of having a single password to access all your passwords ...

I wonder how much involvement the law enforcement agencies have with cloud password offerings. Not from a tinfoil hat perspective - quite the opposite. It's in their interests to ensure cloudy passwords stay safe. Imagine if Lastpass had a hack, and admitted that 100s of 1000s of users had their logins snaffled. How many court cases would be lost to the reasonable doubt when the defence claim their client didn't do it, as all their logins were stolen ......

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Google featured Ads...

Buy Batteries from eBay

Buy stationary from Staples

Buy Equestrian equipment from Sweaty Saddles

Are these Ads Correct?

8. Roland6 Silver badge

The Credential API..

So the real story is that Google has announced the "Credential API" - a proprietary Android only(?) interface that it hopes developers will standardise on and hence simply the input of credential information into web pages. Currently, password applications have to 'read' the webpage to discover the relevant credentials fields being used by a particular site/application.

Can't see this really impacting existing password store vendors in the short-term because the API is just a small but key part of their product offering. Interestingly, if this interface takes off I can see an explosion in malware that attempts to hook calls using this interface.

9. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Now THIS is something to cheer for

"Google announced other initiatives to tighten security screws including the ability to approve or decline specific app permission requests, rather than the present all-or-nothing approval process."

"HUZZAH" anyone?

1. thesykes

Re: Now THIS is something to cheer for

Agreed, the password manager thing is a bit of meh sort of thing.

Much more interesting and useful is the permission control stuff.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Uh hu.. does this mean we'll be able shut down all the Google stuff?

Thought not.

1. Preston Munchensonton

Uh hu.. does this mean we'll be able shut down all the Google stuff?

Thought not.

I guess you had to say such things. Otherwise, you'd have to change your moniker.

As it stands, you can already shut down the Google stuff by disabling the apps, though there are consequences to phone functionality. I would expect the same result with the new app permission controls.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Google announced other initiatives to tighten security screws including the ability to approve or decline specific app permission requests, rather than the present all-or-nothing approval process."

"HUZZAH" anyone?

Ah, catching up with iOS I see (evil grin)..

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did they fix their factory reset problem?

If these keys are controlled by the same mechanisms that can't even securely erase critical data, then this feature merely provides a more convenient location for the keys to be recovered from.

Google needs to fix Android security, not release Apps that give people a false sense of security.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds bad to me

The passwords will be stored on Google's servers so that you can acess them from any Googley device, therefore all passwords will be in one place, handy for security services to access, by warrant or not. I would expect this storage to hold your encrytion keys too so all your encrypted communications can be decrypted on demand, thereby negating the need for anti encryption laws and Goct arguments that encryption only helps terrorists.

I'm surprised by people willingness to rely on one company to provide so many services and not stopping to think what that company is getting out of it, how the company is paying for their empire or what they as individuals are paying for these 'free' trinkets.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

perfect lock

No one will be able to pick this perfect cryptographic lock except the NSA , as required by FISA 215 of US Law.

And 10 billion hackers who figure out how to immitate NSA and inform the phone "Im NSA , let me in !'

Americans !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like