back to article Small businesses trashed in big malware campaign

Kaspersky researcher Ido Noar says attackers have hit hundreds of small and medium businesses, stealing credentials and documents in a noisy smash-and-grab campaign. Noar says criminals have stolen some 10,000 documents from nanotechnology, education, and media outfits in an attack that foists a newly-discovered strain of …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

> nanotechnology

> small and medium business

LOL

1. Amos

In other words all the small startups and split-offs from larger university-type organisations research groups. I'm seeing a bit of a trend in these past few weeks data theft articles.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

"does not go the extra mile to hide its activity"

I wouldn't consider something like hiding the CnC as 'the extra mile' more like an essential part of the malware... Much like wearing a disguise to a robbery, sure you might be able to get away, but not for very long.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Grabit?

I wonder how the authors of the binary newsreader package are feeling about being associated with malware and crime? Both Grabits are software so there's almost certainly an opportunity to sue for defamation by association.

Did anyone bring popcorn?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Grabit?

"These are the wrong trousers, Grabit!"

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Small business IT admins?

Oxymoron right there. Most small businesses have a part time contract person at best and no user policy at all.

5. Apptifred

SMEs are good at running their business, but they are not good at protecting it from cyber crime. Lack of knowledge and resources leaves them wide open to fraud and theft.

But they are small and cannot afford the security trained organizations of larger corporations. Security is too complex and difficult today and has to be made simple by the suppliers. It's our fault if it's not being used, not the SMEs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like