back to article Who's the big Swiss bunch that wants to take Sir Jony's lunch? It's... SWATCH!

1980s fashion icon Swatch has confirmed it is working on a smartwatch. The Swiss biz on Thursday said it will produce a wrist-puter that will include electronics for NFC payments. CEO Nick Hayek told shareholders the new model is set for an August launch in Switzerland and "one big country" that has yet to be named. Other …

1. Bob Dole (tm)

Didn't know they still existed

Wow.

Seriously, I didn't know Swatch was still in business. Figured they were just a fad from my old grade school days.

Doesn't matter though. I still don't want to wear a watch when my phone provides all that and more.

1. Carl W

Re: Didn't know they still existed

Not only are they still in business they are the world's largest watchmaker and own the brands Breguet, Blancpain, Omega, Longines, Rado, Tissot and Certina amongst others, plus the ETA company who make movements used by many watch manufacturers, e.g. IWC, as well as being jointly responsible (with Mercedes-Benz) for the creation of the original Smart car.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The role of Swatch in the creation of the Smart car brand is worth bearing in mind when considering stories about established companies exampning into market sectors that are new to them.

Say you're a company who makes phones and you have a track record of successfully selling them at a high margin for nearly a decade. It stands to reason that you have data about your customers - gleaned from your existing marketing department and from the user's devices and buying habits - that you can bring to bear when you enter a new market sector. Like the Apple Car rumours.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Doesn't matter though. I still don't want to wear a watch when my phone provides all that and more.

My phone does that too.

But it's in my pocket.

A bit like those fob watches that people used to wear on a chain. Can't think why they ever went out of fashion, can you?

1. The Vociferous Time Waster

They went out of fashion?

2. I_am_Chris

Proper swatch

I hope they don't try and ape apple or Samsung. Those things are overpriced toys for those with more money than sense.

Watches that combine the best of both like Whithings Activite are more like what normal people are prepared to be seen wearing.

1. Schlimnitz

Re: Proper swatch

Had never heard of that watch, but you're right. I'd at least consider wearing something like that. Though 8 months battery life is still short compared to my Wave Ceptor which is past 4 years (two years more than specs).

3. rjmx

Internet Time?

Are Swatch still on that "Internet Time" kick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time)?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Internet Time?

Plus one for the memory.

I remember too that Swatch made watches with numeric pagers back in the mid nineties, enjoying some success in some territories. Teenagers didn't often have mobile phon/ Nokias back then.

Instant messaging on your wrist 20 years ago? Whoda thought it!

2. Timelords

Internet Time

Yes they are and I'm still wearing one and living by it.

It's the only correct time setting in this binary dimension

My whole network runs with it.( swatch.exe )

A few of those Internet watches are still available.

4. Khaptain Silver badge

Business Choices - Nick you are going to fail big time....

Either you have a quality product or a cheap product and I can't think of many things worse that cheap electronics....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Business Choices - Nick you are going to fail big time....

"Either you have a quality product or a cheap product"

I strongly disagree. Products made in high volume can amortise the kind of automation that leads to extremely low defect levels. Your Lamborghini or Ferrari is more likely to have poor quality than a VW Golf, or even a Hyundai i10, because the manufacturing volume is so low that the man hours expended on quality by design will be far less than for the volume product.

2. Triggerfish

Looking at the list of watch companies they own and manufacture for above, there's a chance it may not end up cheap electronics they have some premium brands in their portfolio.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Either you have a quality product or a cheap product and I can't think of many things worse that cheap electronics....

And your point in regard to this article is what? £10 buys me an accurate, reliable and resilient Casio watch with a elegantly simple 'analogue' display.

I take your point that poorly designed electronic goods with horrendous user interfaces are horrible, but if sold in volume that design cost is shared amongst a large number of units; the cost of that thoughtful design becomes only a small percentage on top of the Bill of Materials.

4. I_am_Chris

Wrong

Swatches were, and are, good products. I have a couple that >10 years old. They may not cost the same as a Rolex, but you got something you could wear everyday or have several to suit your mood.

Design is key.

5. Mondo the Magnificent
    Coat

Being Swiss.....

...it will be released on time then?

Swatch this space...

6. DocJames

I am disappointed in the reg

"Swiss time is running out" would seem an obvious heading

7. Adam Hartfield

Perhaps this is why my friends' Apple Watches don't have licensed Swiss watch faces in addition to Mickey. If I spent beacoup de loot on an Apple Watch, I'd want to impress my friends (more than I already had, of course) with some high-quality faces from Omega, Lange, etc.

8. Desidero
    Headmaster

" lead by consumer electronics giants... " - AAARRGGGHHHH - "lead" is a heavy element, "led" is past-tense of the verb "lead", as well as the first term in a long-defunct heavy metal band's name.

Even the NY Times can't keep this simple mistake off its pages - why oh why? Its [sic] a crying shame. Even now, someone's adding "your" as smartphone/blog-synonymous to "you are" in the Funk & Wagnalls' guide to speed butchering the language. Who'd of [sic] thunk it?

1. Vic

long-defunct heavy metal band

Wash your mouth out, Sir...

Vic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like