back to article Google I/O FORTRESS: Sold-out dev conference is in LOCKDOWN

This year's Google I/O conference hasn't even formally kicked off, but attendees who arrived early to pick up their badges on Wednesday got their first look at the peculiarly formidable security at this year's event. For reasons unknown, security at I/O 2015 is tighter than at any other conference this Reg hack has seen at San …

1. AceRimmer

For any mortals wishing to bypass security

The password is "Fidelio"

Good luck!

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Re: For any mortals wishing to bypass security

That is only the password for the gate. What is the password for the house? :P

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Re: For any mortals wishing to bypass security

Analytics?

2. Elmer Phud

Securitai

Need to get in to the conference? - Google have gone for two-stage identification for meatware

1. asdf

Re: Securitai

Data mining meatware is serious business.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"General admission tickets cost $900 and academic tickets are $300"

A bargain compared to Microsoft events. But then I guess Google use your personal info. to target adverts to subside the cost....

1. Andrew Jones 2

The fact that generally attendees to Google IO receive more than the cost of the ticket back in developer SWAG seems to of escaped your attention.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The fact that generally attendees to Google IO receive more than the cost of the ticket back in developer SWAG seems to of escaped your attention."

No, that would tend to support the idea of them selling your data to subsidise the cost then...

4. colinb

Compared to MS Build registration which consisted of sauntering past 15 year olds to scan a barcode and pick up a badge with no ID requested that's extreme.

Sounds like you are tagged for a Google IOMT (Internet of meaty things) experiment, enjoy, complainers will not be accepted into the Borg.

1. Warm Braw

The "Internet of meaty things"...

... clearly needs its own mission statement.

Do No Offal

Exits stage left, at speed...

5. John Styles

Google, not at all weird and creepy (TM)

N/T

6. Ben Bonsall

Do the wristbands include a heart rate monitor and skin galvanometer, feeding back to a chip in the speakers brain that allows them to tailor the speech based on the emotional response of the audience?

Or some kind of electroshock or tranquilizer needle for pacifying unrest or removing 'awkward questions'?

And does the personalized mountain dew contains a specific isotopic tracer so they know who you meet with... And maybe to check that when you popped out to the loo, you really went to the loo and not to post some secret sauce to an anonymous blog?

And if not, why not?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

moving through a bank of proper metal detectors, like you see at airports

No cavity searches? Google missed the opportunity to use some an*l probes then.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Privacy paranoid Google?

My irony meter went ping...

1. phil dude
      Coat

Re: Privacy paranoid Google?

you know you can change that ringtone...?

P.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

Re: Privacy paranoid Google?

Changing the alert tone is unique to the Apple iRony meter and protected by patent.....

8. Turtle

Roll Up! Roll up!...

"Somewhat annoyingly, however, the badges also come with a QR code printed on them. Anyone who scans the code will be able to read not only the name associated with the badge, but also the email address. Not sure I remember signing up for that feature."

"Somewhat annoyingly..."? Well yeah, okay, I guess some people might find that "somewhat annoying". Other people might "go ballistic". Or at least deface the fucking code.

And I would have expected that anyone going to a Google event would know that you can sign up for anything you want - and that Google will sign you up - along with the rest of the whole world - for anything they damn well please.

Don't like it? Go complain to any of your bought, sold, paid for, and delivered political representatives and be sure to let us know how that goes - we could all use a good laugh.

1. Greggles

Re: Roll Up! Roll up!...

It's a Google event, absolutely everybody there who cares to have your information already has it. If this comes as any sort of surprise then why are you spending $900 to attend an event for a company you've clearly never heard of before?

2. Pookietoo

Re: able to read not only the name

Dare I suggest a subtle application of Tipp-Ex to the badge?

9. Owain 1

Stick your own QR on the top.

I suggest you print out your own QR, perhaps a rickroll or similar, and stick it over the top of your google issued one.

1. InfiniteApathy

Re: Stick your own QR on the top.

Be careful, they may never give you up after that

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Terminator

Re: Stick your own QR on the top.

(robocontroller): "This pass is not acceptable, dear [visitor]. Failure to comply with Google House rules will mean you get fully doxed and your search history goes to pastebin. Please comply with the Google House rules within 10 seconds. Nine... eight... "

(sweating journo shows original pass)

"seven ... six ..."

(google engineer) "Err.... I think we might have a problem here...."

10. John 104

Anyone who scans the code will be able to read not only the name associated with the badge, but also the email address. Not sure I remember signing up for that feature.

Then don't go...

11. Mark 85
    Coat

Fidel Castro would be proud.

The conference keynote kicks off at 0930 on Thursday morning and continues through Friday.

That is going to be one long keynote speech.

Mine's the one with the provisions and beer in the pockets.

12. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Terminator

"Why are there so many silver-clad, red-stripe-eye androids here"?

I would hate to see what the offspring of psychotic bureaucrats and Google efficiency, coupled to the FEMA trailers, would look like.

13. Candy
    Coat

Badge + Bracelet != 2FA

Applying one factor twice isn't two factor authentication.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like