back to article Intel's new chips are from 'Purley' – know what I mean? Know what I mean? Say no more

A presentation given at a conference on high-performance computing (HPC) in Poland earlier this month appears to have yielded new insight into Intel's Xeon server chip roadmap. A set of slides spotted by our sister site The Platform indicates that Chipzilla is moving toward a new server platform called "Purley" that will debut …

1. getHandle

Certainly a better usage than...

"Just south of Croydon".

2. billse10

"Even farther down the road .. "

surely farther down the road from Purley is Coulsdon .. if he isn't still tapping phones ..

3. Wilco

Do you think it would be any good for "photography"?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's always one...

"Even more intriguing, Intel promises an "all new memory architecture" that delivers persistent data at four times the capacity of DRAM but at lower cost and 500 times the speed of NAND flash."

waddle...

wikipedia gives max ddr3 speed as 6400 MB per sec:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

DDR4 supposedly "processes up to 17 GB of data per second" - which may not be the same as transfer speed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR4_SDRAM

The currently fastest widely available nand SSD's top out at just over 500MB/s:

http://www.fastestssd.com/featured/ssd-rankings-the-fastest-solid-state-drives/

500*500MB/s = 250,000 MB/s (or 250GB/s)

So is their new tech over 14 times faster than the currently fastest DDR4? Or are they saying its 500 times faster than a usb flash drive from 2001 that they found at the back of a couch?

My car can go about half as fast as a turtle in free fall (thats a fairly accurate aproximation btw)

These numbers mean nothing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There's always one...

Actually, scratch that.. turtles are apparently twice as fast in free fall as previously asserted.. :)

2. roselan

my wild guess is something equivalent to AMD/Hinix HBM (On chip stacked memory).

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/hbm

1. markx

Except it says "persistent data". So it can't be something like HBM. Unless it is just battery-backed RAM?

1. redneck

Maybe Intel's referring to HP's memristors.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All new memory architecture?

"Even more intriguing, Intel promises an "all new memory architecture" that delivers persistent data at four times the capacity of DRAM but at lower cost and 500 times the speed of NAND flash."

So, what are the guesses on what this is and how it would be used? Intel was working with Micron on Phase Change Memory, but Micron apparently dropped their products from the market last year.

1. danbi

Re: All new memory architecture?

Might be, we will see it rebranded as Intel then. This is probably the only market ready SCM today and it also seems to require some CPU support to make it transparent to use.

The obvious question is cost. Nothing high performance from Intel is cheap.

6. CaptainBanjax

I like

New Xeon announcements.

They show me what ill be buying off ebay for peanuts in 5 years time to build a workstation with.

Currently rocking two hex core 5690s and 128GB RAM.

For no reason other than it cost less then 300 quid to source the parts.

Runs like greased up buttery sh*t off a shovel.

7. John Styles

Codename means built with Microsoft in mind

Purley Gates, obviously.

1. danbi

Re: Codename means built with Microsoft in mind

Not yet divorced, those two...

8. DuncanL

Obvious question...

Are they a go-er?

9. Sporkinum

Say no more!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like