back to article India to Russia: 'Sod you, Vlad, we're going to the moon ALONE'

Russia couldn't promise the moon, it seems, so India has lost interest in a joint probe project scheduled for 2022. The delays that have plagued Russia's Luna-27 lander project – originally planned for this decade but currently scheduled for a 2022 launch – have frustrated India, according to the New Indian Express. That …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sod you Vlad for feeding your country, paying your loans and improving living standards for Russians at home and abroad...especially abroad if you know what I mean.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Talk about missing the big picture ...

1. Elmer Phud

Big picture?

It's effin' IMAX he missed FFS!

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I like that we now have at least four proper space-faring countries.

The Indians might overtake the Chinese (in space at least). Lots of clever people, lots of enthusiasm, lots of ideas. Not a lot of money but MOM proved they don't need a lot of money to achieve great things.

3. CAPS LOCK

It's about time somebody went...

... the last time was 1972 for Dogs sake. I make that ( a brief pause while i take my socks off... ) FORTY TWO years.

1. Shrimpling

Re: It's about time somebody went...

The Chinese sent a rover in 2013... I make that TWO years.

1. cray74

Speaking of manned landings, yes, it's been 42 years (7 Dec 1972). But after Apollo 17, the following lunar landings occurred, skipping orbiters and impactors:

Luna 21 / Lunokhod 2 (1973)

Luna 23 (sample return, 1974)

Luna 24 (sample return, 1976)

Chang'e 3 (lander/rover, 2014)

Skipping orbiters after 1972 leaves out a surprising (to me) number of missions. Workhorses like Clementine and Chang'e 2 tend to be overshadowed by Mars.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

I make that ( a brief pause while i take my socks off... ) FORTY TWO years.

CAPS LOCK,

Erm, are you from Norfolk by any chance?

1. CAPS LOCK

What's wrong with being from Norfolk...

... at least I can count beyond twenty six unlike you lot.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Corruption in high places

I notice that a bunch of senior Russian space officials are now being charged with corruption. Including a committee of the Duma saying that Roscosmos can't account for about $1.3 billion of cash from 2013 alone.

However, I'm not sure if this isn't just the modern Russian equivalent of being sent to Siberia. Someone has to get punished for an embarrassing cock-up, so why not try a few high profile people, who don't have the right connections? Or have annoyed the wrong person lately?

On the other hand, looting state enterprises for all their cash is something the Putin regime excels at. I wondered if the recent spate of accidents was because the large increases in defence spending over the last few years (not to mention the Olympics), had already been straining the Russian government budget. And that's before sanctions and the oil price crash last year. So I wondered if they'd been cutting margins too much. But equally it could be corruption. Or both. Or just bad luck - and the usual learning curve as designs are slowly updated.

5. I&I

Not forget ESA's SMART-1, "The Mouse on the Moon" (leisurely voyage).

6. I&I

Positive Karma

India was moaned at when they started launching satellites, complaints being that they ought to be spending on roads and education. But it turned out that for such a huge land-area, satellites enabled remote comms e.g. for education much more cheaply (and quickly).

As regards their moon-goal, it's an effective way of demonstrating that their hi-tech is world-class. At international conferences on alternative space shuttle designs (in 90's I think), an industry leader confided: ~"none of these countries ever intends to build a shuttle, it's just a way of advertising their aerospace capability in general, hoping instead for lots of lucrative aircraft work". Shame - everyone loved the "Dan Dare" -esque German design, "Sanger".

More generally, a successful space involvement - as India has previously demonstrated (e.g. the first nation to place a probe in Mars orbit at their first attempt) - does no harm a country's brand/image regarding technology in general. Leading to more trade - that could be used to alleviate those negative points of brand/image/peoples-lives. Along with all that Brexit bounty they're no doubt looking forward to.

As a space enthusiast, I just hope they do achieve their lunar ambitions - we've barely explored our largest natural satellite. Oh look, I inadvertently said "we" - that'll be the humanity-unifying thing. A commodity in decline on Earth...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like