back to article Cheesy video shows ex-Gooners pronouncing 'Huawei'

John Hartson, Ray Parlour and Nigel Winterburn – a veritable array of ex-Arsenal players – have learned how to say 'Huawei'. The desperate-to-be-European telco is the official smartphone sponsor for Arsenal – a role it took over from Samsung – and sells a special branded version of the Ascend P7 to Gooners. It features “The …

1. frank ly

If it was Newcastle/Sunderland

They'd have to work hard to stop them saying "Huawei the lads".

1. BongoJoe

Re: If it was Newcastle

The start-up music would be a Sports Direct advertisement.

2. Pen-y-gors

Chanting

Presumably the "sound of Emirates chanting" is the muezzin at the top of his minaret in Abu Dhabi

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LG

No, "Life's Good" is vapid corporate branding w**k. At least when it (nominally) stood for Lucky Goldstar it implied a bit of history if nothing else.

If anything, the "Jewish Cowboy" makes *that* sound more interesting.

Do these vague, airy corporate slogans actually make anyone more inclined to buy the company's products anyway, even indirectly? Sony's "make.believe" (*) is another one; you can imagine some ludicrously overpaid rebranding consultancy being incredibly pleased with themselves after coming up with that not-as-clever-as-it-thinks piece of contrived simplicity and b*********g equally smug Sony execs with some vapid, self-justifying t**s they then respout to us.

As for ex-Gooners, yes, I'm sure they're all "ex" since the last of them (Spike Milligan) died some time back.

(*) Capitalisation and punctuation as they presented it

1. theblackhand

Re: LG

In defence of the overpaid rebranding consultancies - the good ideas get rejected by the client and so they are utterly dependent on the account manager taking the client out for an all you can drink business meeting where said account manager has to come up with some "brilliant" idea while smashed out of their skull on booze and coke.

I would however question why said account manager almost solely depends on toilets for their inspiration. i.e. the ideas all resemble crap.

Note: maybe this isn't 100% accurate. Lets just agree on high 90's...

Note 2: maybe overpaid rebranding consultancies don't require defending...

1. Edwin

Re: LG

That said, when they first started punting large, high-end tellies, I did wonder if they were the same company that made the ISA I/O cards I was putting into PCs in the early 1990s. I can imagine wanting to distance yourself from that.

Mind, the cards (usually) worked.

4. Frumious Bandersnatch

wha[t] way do you really pronounce it?

(sorry, I don't click on video links... did I guess right?)

1. dotdavid

Re: wha[t] way do you really pronounce it?

I always thought it was "who are we" but it's "wah way".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: wha[t] way do you really pronounce it?

Correct pronunciation (as they do it in Shenzhen) isn't so alien really - it's exactly what you'd hear if discussing cheese by-products with a Somerset dairy farmer:

ooh-arr whey

Run it together with slight stress on the "whey". Prefix with the *faintest* whisper of an "h" if you like... but don't overdo that.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's pronounced "security leak"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I thought that's the correct pronunciation for "U S A"?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't

Huawei the name of Paganis' new car????

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like