back to article Torvalds: decisions, decisions, top up sun tan or release Linux 4.1?

Work/life balance is important. But important enough to slow development of a tool on which a fair slab of the world relies every day? The tool we're talking about is the Linux kernel and we mention it because its benevolent overlord Linus Torvalds posted over the weekend that version 4.1-rc5 looks like it's well and truly on …

1. jake Silver badge

Typing as a two+ decade Linux user & contributer ...

... Turn off all your connectivity[0], and focus on your family for a bit.

The next kernel release isn't exactly an emergency.

Family is far more important than code. Always.

[0] That includes cell phones. Kill all of them for the duration. Trust me.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Typing as a two+ decade Linux user & contributer ...

I'm not sure about that. There's a distinct risk that when he gets back he'll find the systemd crowd have taken over the kernel & pushed him out.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One of the rare times on The Register...

...when someone agrees with Jake.

Take your holiday Linus, the current version of Linux is plenty good enough for the time being.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: One of the rare times on The Register...

One of all the times on ElReg that nobody gives a rat's ass about AC commentardery.

Hint and a half for your happy ass: "Jake" is not me.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'"Jake" is not me': so no need for you to reply then, jake.

1. frank ly

Just to satisfy my nerdy curiosity, I tried to sign up to The Register as 'Jake' but it told me that the user name has already been taken. So, either there is a 'Jake', or (more likely) usernames are case insensitive for signup purposes - but not for posting or reference purposes as jake has so definitely indicated. He once corrected me about his name but I accept that names can be regarded as highly personal.

(Yes, I need to get out more.)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I tried to sign up as 'jerk' but was told it was an alias for an existing user.

2. jake Silver badge

"So, either there is a 'Jake', or (more likely) usernames are case insensitive for signup purposes"

Incorrect. I'm "jake" in this forum. See:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/4800/

For "Jake", see:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/26670/

Computers are literal. Get used to the concept. '01010100' is not '01010110'.

3. Tromos
    Joke

4.1? Should be at least 5.0.

At this rate Linux will never catch Windows.

1. dotdavid

Re: 4.1? Should be at least 5.0.

He should call the next version Linux XP then no-one will feel the need to upgrade past it :-P

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

commit 02f8c6aee8df3cdc935e9bdd4f2d020306035dbe

Author: Linus Torvalds

Date: Thu Jul 21 19:17:23 2011 -0700

Linux 3.0

commit 39a8804455fb23f09157341d3ba7db6d7ae6ee76

Author: Linus Torvalds

Date: Sun Apr 12 15:12:50 2015 -0700

Linux 4.0

Seems to be a version released every 2.5-3 years. So maybe 5.0 in 2018?

1. Preston Munchensonton

Seems to be a version released every 2.5-3 years. So maybe 5.0 in 2018?

Based on those dates, it would be far more accurate to say every 3.5 to 4 years, though I suspect that the sample size is too small to account for the Linus factor, i.e. he'll bump the major version whenever he gets a whim to do so and regardless of what anyone else fucking says.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"he'll bump the major version whenever he gets a whim to do so"

Same with a lot of the distros - hence why Slackware went from 3 to 8 overnight.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Based on those dates, it would be far more accurate to say every 3.5 to 4 years, though I suspect that the sample size is too small to account for the Linus factor

True, and my math was off because I was just about to go to sleep, so brain already in powersave mode.

That said, the pace probably will pick up somewhat. Kernel 2.0 was around the mid 90's, 2.2 came out around 1998~99, 2.4 in 2001 and 2.6 in 2003.

We then jumped to 3.0 in 2011 which was the next major release, and represented a change in the version numbering scheme.

The pace is accelerating, and so while it was longer than what I had calculated earlier, it probably will get here sooner than the last major revision did especially as more resources are poured into the project.

4. Sebby

Hmm

He's right, Linux needs more testing. I just spent a weekend (mostly successfully, thanks to the nature of the problem) recovering one of my systems from that insidious data corruption bug that hit the supposedly "Stable" Linux 4.0.2 release when using ext4 and md-raid 0. I won't be touching any kernel release that starts with "4" unless I'm sure it's cleared the frontliners in future. No rush, Linus. Enjoy your holiday. :)

5. CFWhitman

Didn't Slackware go from 4 to 7?

As I recall, Patrick Volkerding did it because everyone identified Linux with Red Hat at the time, which was at version 7 (not Enterprise, which is at version 7 now), and when they saw "Slackware 4" they would express the idea that it must be an old version of Linux.

1. jake Silver badge

@CFWhitman

Yes.

But those of us already running Slackware didn't really care.

Version numbers are about marketing, not usability.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like