back to article Sniffing and sharing Wi-Fi passwords? There's an app for that!

China's internet services aren't stellar, which is why the nation's State Council recently decided to spend US$182bn on network construction in an effort to speed up local connections. While Chinese citizens wait for all that to happen, plenty are instead turning to an app called Wi-Fi Skeleton Key that collects credentials …

1. Thomas Gray

"all of whom get to see adds "

Which subtracts from the user experience, but presumably multiplies revenue. Divisive, eh?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if the application logs only public Wifi (from a whitelist) or any wifi?

Imagine you have a guest at home and give him your Wifi password... App installed and everyone can access your Internet connection.

The logging is automatic?

If so one could unwittingly share password for office wifi.

The other obvious question is about legality of it (something very secondary in China).

Using the password granted to someone else to access a network is not legal AFAIK

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Stop

All the more reason to use that MAC Address filter built into your WiFi router or access point.

1. Michael Habel

All the more reason to use that MAC Address filter built into your WiFi router or access point.

>Implying that MAC Filtering is the key to keep the baddies out, and that cloning such a MAC Address would be all that difficult to pull off either.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

">Implying that MAC Filtering is the key to keep the baddies out, and that cloning such a MAC Address would be all that difficult to pull off either."

Not the key no, but it is another layer of security and would certainly help in the context of this discussion: an authorized user giving out your password to a service that another unauthorized, but not malicious user then attempts to connect with.

3. Mark 85

Valuation????

Is it possible that this app also works outside of China? For a freetard, it would beat having buy a cup of what passes for coffee at Starbucks to use the WiFi.

Which means that if it works in say, the US or Europe, there's lots of eyeballs for ads there also.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

If it's an open wifi hotspot, where do passwords come into it? Open = no password surely even in the Middle Kingdom?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

er ...

there are levels of "open". Almost all public wifi in the UK is "open" in the sense that you don't need a password to connect to the router. However you *do* need to enter some personal details into a web page to allow to access the internet.

And in a shameless plug for Windows Phone, there's a inbuilt feature to automatically submit your email address or phone number to WiFi access pages requesting them. Explains why I haven't seen one for ages.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: er ...

"And in a shameless plug for Windows Phone, there's a inbuilt feature to automatically submit your email address or phone number to WiFi access pages requesting them."

Sounds like a good way to harvest e-mail addresses/phone numbers to me. Setup a rogue open access point with fake access page, save the submitted data.

I take it there's some option to say "only send data to routers I've connected to before" or some such?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: er ...

Sounds like a good way to harvest e-mail addresses/phone numbers to me. Setup a rogue open access point with fake access page, save the submitted data.

Well unless things have massively changed, the web page login details for many hot spots were passed over an open WiFi connection, so you only needed a WiFi sniffer...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like