back to article Vietnam-lovin' VoIP man's 50-nation tally couldn't hold him back

In this instalment of The eXpat Files, we meet Joshua Puckett – a native of Maryland, USA – who, at 23, has managed to work in 50 countries, with extended stays in Switzerland and Hungary. How did this half-man-half-Boeing pull it off? Read on to learn about his very mobile lifestyle, the best bars in the world and how to blag …

1. Blake St. Claire

Do the math?

He's 23! Most Americans graduate with a bachelors degree at age 22, sometimes 21. Or maybe he dropped out? Anyway, in somewhere between one and three years I guess, he's spent time in 50 countries? That makes an average (mean) of 20 days in each. Long stays in Hungary and Switzerland? What would that be, 30 days?

Ex pat? I wouldn't say he's ever been in any place long enough to be considered a true expat.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Do the math?

Switzerland was nearly half a year so even less for the rest. More a tourist than an expat.

2. Mark 85

It sounds to me like he's working for a single company and doing field work. Back in my engineering days, these guys were known as "the smart-assed boy from out of town". They'd come in, do the set-ups and testing and leave again.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

By these newly updated rules of "being an expat" I've lived in loads of countries just by sleeping in airports waiting for connecting flights.

2. DocJames
    Headmaster

RTA

He talks about being 19 and abroad. I don't think he bothered with acquiring debt going to college. He's had at least 4 years. I agree not what you'd usually call an expat but given this is a slightly humorous online series of articles on working overseas, I don't think pedantry is really called for.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: RTA

Having worked in 30 or so countries myself I'd say there's a huge difference between being there for a few months and living there for a couple of years.

I'm not saying that it somehow "doesn't count" but it's not the same thing. I've certainly enjoyed being in a new country for a few weeks or months, as long as that time wasn't simply spent going from the hotel to work each day.

However, spending a year or more there and living more like a local is a vastly different experience and reveals a lot more about the country and the people.

On the other hand I've seen some, mostly Americans for some reason, who get moved by their firm and live in a kind of bubble only really interacting with other expats with the firm organising everything for them. I find it hard to see that you'd gain a lot from living abroad in those kind of circumstances.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Switzerland

Definitely a good place to work for a while, although anecdotal experience suggests that one may be more likely as a contractor to end up being scammed there than elsewhere - think Swiss secrecy laws gone large should you have a billing issue, or a contractual intermediary partner who fails to fulfil.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like