back to article Putting your schlong into the reel-to-reel tape machine is a bad idea

Last week, I promised you I’d rip my two mighty appearances on Granada Plus’s The Computer Channel (later relaunched as .tv) in 1997 from VHS. Well, a promise is a promise, if only half-kept. Here for your viewing curiosity is just one of my BAFTA nomination-worthy performances for a short-lived night-time satellite TV programme …

1. Tim Roberts 1

reel to reel

I remember my parents angst when they lent their reel to reel to a "friend" who snapped off the little wings that held the reels in place on one side of the machine.

Basically the machine was buggered despite my Dad's best efforts to replace the wings with pins through carefully drilled holes.

As for applying my schlong to aforementioned machine..... sorry I was a bit too young.

1. Andrew Moore

Re: reel to reel

I did the same to my Super 8 projector- I could never get it back to normal again.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

What did they think they were trying to achieve putting a bloke like him on TV talking about computers. Not you Mr Dabbs, the permed one. Consumer programs about technology make me cringe and that video made me feel like I was watching a modern day shopping channel minus the three easy payments and call now banners on the screen.

Now there's an idea, you could get yourself on to the QVC technology segment and we could watch you subtly take the piss out of the presenters lack of clue about what they are selling.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grease pencils and rheostats

School drama productions in the 1960s needed several people to cram themselves into a small space in the wings to do the prompting, lighting, and sound effects. Actors entering/leaving from stage left had weave their way through the bodies keeping a low profile - indeed at times even prostrate on the floor.

The lights were controlled with large black knobs and levers.mounted on grey Hammertite painted panels. They had lots of ventilation as the dimming technology was just very large wire-wound variable resistors known as rheostats.

The large reel to reel recorder was on the floor. A tape of sound effects had been commissioned - with grease pencil marks on the mylar to show the alignment point of the next sound. In the open wings only a small light was permitted for the prompter - so a dim pencil torch had to be used to see the marks. After each sound was used the tape had to be carefully aligned at the next mark with the transport in "pause" mode. On the cue in the script the tape would be started playing.

Being a boys' school the plays selected were all-male characters - until a new headmaster allowed the Shakespearean tradition of casting pretty boys in women's roles.

One year the play was Arnold Wesker's "Chips with Everything". The lead role was given to a budding thespian who was always in trouble with teachers for having what appeared to be a permanent grin on his face. A perfect casting - but for the fact that he was very cavalier about his lines. Whole chunks of dialogue would be unpredictably skipped - and the backstage crew would be frantically turning pages to keep up.

In one scene "Smiler" was supposed to be trying to thumb a lift from a passing motorbike. The audience was suddenly treated to his vehement cursing of a bike that hadn't stopped - followed after a frantic pause by the distant doppler sound of it approaching then roaring past.

Scene changes used the sound of a band playing The RAF March - but unfortunately the "theatre professional" who had supplied the sound effects tape had only included a few seconds of it. Consequently a record player with a 78rpm record had to be cued at the appropriate points - while the tape was manually wound on to the next effect mark.

To this day the opening bars of that tune automatically take me back to that production.

My godchildren love my Halloween computer controlled electronic SFX - but I spare them any repeats of the Goon Show imitations we spent our teenage years producing on my affluent pal's reel to reel recorder.

1. skeptical i
      Meh

Re: Grease pencils and rheostats

The year I was in the high school theater lighting crew was the year they got a new light control board (fit on a folding table) that was pretty high-tech for the time (easy cross-fades and all that). Yeah, it was spiffy and ours was the first crew to use it, but I felt vaguely ripped off not being up in "the loft" with the banks of levers and switches the previous years' light crews got to use.

2. Kubla Cant

Re: Grease pencils and rheostats

One of my many non-study ways of filling my time at Oxford was doing light shows for balls*. For a big occasion we'd hire a van-load of kit from Strand Electric. The dimmer units were armour-plated monsters on wheels - typically about five feet long by four feet high to provide twelve 500W channels.

Then smaller dimmers using a solid-state device called a thyristor started to appear. I built a number of these, but mine always burned out. I guess I was destined for a career in software rather than hardware.

* Dances in marquees, not testicle lighting.

4. Elmer Phud

CRACKERJACK!!!!

He started it . . .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: CRACKERJACK!!!!

You can have a cabbage for that.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Did anyone find Bernie Clifton amusing? I didn't mind Peter Glaze so much: you just felt sorry for him.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Eamonn Andrews was a bit stuffy. Leslie Crowther was probably the best host.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Agree about Crowther, he was OK. Stewpot hosted the programme like a gym teacher who'd been asked to take a Geography class.

5. PhilipN Silver badge

Perspective, Mr. Dabbs

The fact is Pinky and Perky was one of the more entertaining bits of Brit TV at the time. Do try to remember what life was like in the early '60's. Perry Bloody Como on the TV - and in the charts. The Black and White Minstrels on Saturday prime time TV. And if-you-don't-feel-like-hanging-yourself-yet-you-soon-will Sing Something Simple on Sunday evening radio.

No Kojak or Man From U.N.C.L.E. No Avengers, if memory serves.

Christ! How did we get through it all!

Because at the time we lapped it up,

Now don't get me started on '50's TV and radio.

And your starter for 10 : Which actor did P and P begin performing with, who spoke on screen with an atrocious Italian accent.

Here's a clue : He later redeemed himself by playing a 'tec on Z Cars. On the other hand he had an awful lot to redeem himself for, because he also did TV ads for Special K.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Unhappy

Re: Perspective, Mr. Dabbs

"And if-you-don't-feel-like-hanging-yourself-yet-you-soon-will Sing Something Simple on Sunday evening radio".

Ah! That well of infinite melancholy that would engulf and smother even the perky optimism of a teenage boy.

1. Andrew Moore
        Thumb Down

"Ah! That well of infinite melancholy that would engulf and smother even the perky optimism of a teenage boy."

So that wasn't only me then...

1. Kubla Cant
          Unhappy

Sing Something Simple

Never mind rats, they should have deployed Sing Something Simple in Room 101.

Even now, I can feel my life-force ebbing away as I recall that vile combination of gloopy music and Sunday evening blues.

2. Contrex

Papa Luigi - John Slater.

3. Old69

"No Avengers, if memory serves."

Pinky and Perky (1957–1968) - then on ITV until 1971.

"The Avengers" started in 1960 - although it was only the second series that promoted Steed to the main character with Honor Blackman as the intelligent female lead.

There was "Captain Pugwash" from 1957 - and "The Magic Roudabout" from 1965. A reasonable attempt at "Biggles" was on ITV in 1960. "Garry Halliday" 1959.

"Fireball XL5" 1962 - "Stingray" 1964. "Torchy" 1957 plus many repeats.

The Sunday teatime serials tended to be classics that were so earnestly done as to be rather frightening for the children they were supposedly educating. I can still remember the flight of (missing) stairs illuminated by lightning in "Kidnapped" - and the earlier "Nineteen Eighty Four" mandatory hate scene still gives me the shivers.

The history of children's TV:

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/1397497/

You make TV of the early 1960s sound like a wet Sunday afternoon of that era. :P

1. Efros

I think Ian Dury sums it up in his usual way, deffo NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xblXyUfQ0HI

4. Alistair Dabbs

>> Which actor did P and P begin performing with

According to Wikipedia, it was John Slater, but I don't remember him. Wikipedia also says Pinky and Perky were revived as creepy CG characters in 2008, which I can only imagine was as hideous and terrifying as the CG series of Noddy.

6. Jim Lewis

While I can appreciate to an extent the convenience that doing everything electronically on silicon that we used to used mechanical devices for I do feel that the tactile element and enjoyment of watching well designed mechanisms do their stuff has been lost. I think that this missing aspect is part of the reason vinyl is making a comeback. It's just nice to be able to see at least some of the process of sound reproduction actually happening as opposed to invisible 0 and 1s streaming around inside an inanimate 'black box'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"While I can appreciate to an extent the convenience that doing everything electronically on silicon that we used to used mechanical devices for I do feel that the tactile element and enjoyment of watching well designed mechanisms do their stuff has been lost."

Have just built some SFX systems for a godson. It uses relays and blocking diodes for the sequencing logic - and remote controlled bells for wireless signalling. Have explained to him that it is pre-war logic technology doing it that way.

Told him that to achieve the extra functionality will need an Arduino for the logic - and it can then handle more complex 433mhz signalling without the bell units.

As a Tax Accountant he finds the guts of electronics akin to magic - although he can use Excel. To me this creativity is what I've been doing since I was 13 in 1961 - and even earlier if one includes making wooden swords and shields.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

7. frank ly

re. title

Wow and fluffer?

8. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Is that really Dabsie?

Or Guy Kewney?

1. Anonymous John

Re: Is that really Dabsie?

Or Guy Goma?

9. Alan Sharkey

Reel-Reel was fun in those days

I had a reel-reel tape recorder in the early 70's. I once rode from Cambridge to Durham (I was at college there) on my trusty Triumph 500 with it strapped between the handlebars. That was fun!!!!

Then there was the time that a reel came off the back of the bike (not the recorder) and unwound itself down the A1. I got it all back together and it still played music (early Genesis if I remember rightly)

Alan

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reel-Reel was fun in those days

"Then there was the time that a reel came off the back of the bike (not the recorder) and unwound itself down the A1."

Sounds like it luckily did just unroll. People accidentally let tape fall from the edges of the reel. When they came to wind it up again they found it was like a twisted Xmas decoration.

People made the same mistake with computer papertape - thinking it would be easier to unload the spool quickly before winding it up onto a new one.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"People made the same mistake with computer papertape"

Forget paper tape. I had a friend who had a slight misunderstanding with Fortran print control characters. The sort of misunderstanding that leaves you with a single line of print on a page. On the pages that have anything printed on them at all. So he decided to take this huge stack of fanfold home to work his way through it. He put it on the pillion on the back of his motor bike....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah, the days when even the A1 was like that. Travelling up it this week gave me an acute attack of nostalia for when travel was fun - despite Triumph 500, replaced with a Ducati.

10. Teiwaz

Great article.

Mostly incomprehensible to anybody under 37 though.

1. Adrian 4

Re: Great article.

Don't worry. The day will come when small boys and teenagers won't understand you, either.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Great article.

That happens as soon as you hit 40...

Most people in their 30's don't get most of my references either. I at least didn't immediately dismiss anything from before I was born as irrelevant at that age.

11. Dr_N

I left for France in '96 ...

...so totally missed this opus.

Ah well, You win some, you win some.

12. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Nice one, Alistair

You just described my thirty-odd years in the BBC - from shiny new 625-line colour, news sound effects played over silent film footage from a bank of six gramophones, tape machines the size of a fridge with valves in the bottom... to today's high-definition digital signals, non-linear editing, and satellite communications.

Ain't progress wonderful?

13. TWB

Self deprecation

I do the same - saves others having to insult or offend me.

I think you came across really well in case you need to be told.

What I find difficult to imagine is what technology will be like in the 15-20 years, bearing in mind I have been playing with it since the late seventies. Do we need computers/cellphones/TVs that are any faster or smaller? Maybe I am lacking the imagination I once had.

14. Richard Parkin

Mr Dabbs gives the impression of not suffering fools gladly back then, who knew ..

15. Assistansersättning 1

Interesting...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big Boy Barry ...

Even back then somebody must have been having a laugh ?

17. Phuq Witt
    Facepalm

I was 32 at the time with a young family, and it shows: I look tired and overweight

I'll have to take your word for that.

By the time I'd watched the title sequence all the way through, I couldn't see anything else through the blood streaming from my eyeballs.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: I was 32 at the time with a young family, and it shows: I look tired and overweight

I could easily have clipped out the title sequence but I thought it was so very 90s with its glowing strawberries and sliced coconut. What did it all mean?

1. Adrian 4

Re: I was 32 at the time with a young family, and it shows: I look tired and overweight

The intro feels longer than the show. Until you start watching the show. But I'm dead impressed by your pale blue outfit (1'33 "That's me").

Are you sure the presenter isn't James May (sans hair) ?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

I'm surprised to see something like that from the mid-90s, it seems a few years out of date.

Now on the other hand, this was entirely of its time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmTQE6Fl4AA

18. Hero Protagonist

Don't worry Alistair

You represented your tribe well

1. tfewster

Re: Don't worry Alistair

+1, Great captions added in post, BTW

Dabbsy: Here's £2.5K of hardware and software I've set up to make video "editing" look easy.

Perm: Gosh, it's easy isn't it?

<edited> Dabbsy: Yes, because I set it up to showcase 2 simple features (append and transition) that even you could understand. Now you can turn several boring snippets into a feature-length borefest - WITH TRANSITIONS!!!

Actually, Alistair - You should be ashamed of yourself for helping encourage the "it's all about me" generation!

19. Camilla Smythe

Give it another few years...

... and you can take the piss out of yourself again for the most recent crop of bollox.

Oh, and go buy a tie with stick on Polo Mints, or the present 'modern' equivalent. Then you can stop bitching about your life being a failure because you were not the right sort of dick head.

20. Chris G

Hmm, for a Mac pro and Final cut ProX you will pay about the same pricer as your set up in'97, the Mac book Pro doesn't make such a satisfying crash as the old monitors when you kick the bloody thing off the deskbecause it's...crashed again.

I had forgotten just how bloody awful Pinky and Perky were, I hated them when I was a kid and now I find I still do.

Muffin the Mule was okay though. Always liked a bit o' muffin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spQY2FbCUtM

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Chris g

You haven't allowed for 18 years of inflation. My first Mac laptop cost £3500. Probably £5000 at today's prices.

21. OzBob

Either you photoshopped your current profile photo

or you were a real porker back then. Glad to see the Mrs started feeding you properly, but at least you confirmed you weren't on the "E" diet back then.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Either you photoshopped your current profile photo

I'm a bit of a porker again, now. My profile photo was taken using selfie rules: from above, looking up.

1. Sarah Balfour

So, when do ya officially turn into a reet miserable old bugger; obviously, being a Yorkshireman, you've been one since ya were spawned (hey, I'm from Sheffjeld, I can gat away with it - just…), but officially…?

1. Alistair Dabbs

Nope, I was spawned in Kent and only brought up in Yorkshire. Now I'm back in Kent, I pretend to be miserable. In real life, I am positively chirpy.

2. Richard Ball

And did you then colour in the eyes with a blue felt-tip, or are they truly as azure pools of -er- blue stuff?

22. RegGuy1 Silver badge

How much????!!

How much indeed.

And Pinky and Perky -- looks like the Wonga advert to me.

Wonderful stuff!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kate...

who now does webscape/click...

24. BrazzaB

No Firewire Mr Dabbs?

Poor excuse for not reminiscing over that wedding.

£2.83 form Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-Firewire-Female-Adaptor-Accessories/dp/B008SA2D8Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432485185&sr=8-1&keywords=firewire+adapter+to+usb

Get downloading and edit it now!

25. dms05

The presenter is Will Hanrahan. He appeared in quite a lot of BBC programmes in the early 90's. He knew absolutely nothing about computers and admitted to presenting the programme without understanding it! Take a look at his entry on Wikipedia, it doesn't even mention this highlight of his career.

1. Alistair Dabbs

>> it doesn't even mention this highlight of his career

Then it is my duty to update his Wikipedia page with my video.

26. swampdog

I owned an 850cc puke coloured mini at one time. This is not something 4 bikers in leathers want to be seen in but if you play Pinky & Perky real loud it's something you can get away with.

27. Kubla Cant

Razor blade

No mention so far of audio editing with razor blade and Sellotape?

As far as I know, the similar method of video editing on a Steenbeck machine lasted well into this century.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon