back to article Big sales growth nothing to do with NSA fears - Huawei top brass

Chinese kit-maker Huawei isn't apportioning swelling sales outside the Middle Kingdom to NSA snooping fears, more that double digit growth in Europe is related to brand recognition a decade after it up shop there. According to 2014 numbers, the global Carrier operation climbed 16.4 to ¥192bn (£19.7bn), the Consumer division …

1. Schultz
    Go

Growth has nothing to do with NSA fears...

... so it will be perfectly legit if Snowden moves to China for a nicely cushioned job. Just thinking out loud here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Growth has nothing to do with NSA fears...

Nor does pride have anything to do with the fall

2. cupperty
    Thumb Down

Opposite conclusion ..

"sales in EMEA rose 20 per cent to ¥101bn (£10.4bn). Huawei's overall group revenue hit ¥288.2bn (£31.4bn) for the year – up 20.6 per cent from 2013"

So sales in EMEA were actually down by 0.6% relative to total sales?

3. JaitcH
    Thumb Up

"We can promise Huawei has never and will never do anything to harm our customers or partners.”

Notwithstanding OBAMA'S anti-Huawei sales trip a year or so ago, Huawei has prevailed and proven the man wrong. Dead wrong.

Australia, ever the USA's brown-noser, forswore the use of Chinese hardware - Britain seems confused, harking after the US policy yet letting Huawei open cybersecurity testing centre in UK partnering with CESG, which is a part of government intelligence agency GCHQ.

It appears on many fronts China is outpacing the USA - which makes accommodating NSA's desires to break product security short-sighted at best.

Back in BeiJing Intel and Huawei are partnering a new WiMAX Interoperability Testing laboratory.

Good for Huawei!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

I don't think China is doing much more espionage than other countries are not doing...

But that's not exactly a vote of confidence. From a security standpoint, I would not trust Huawei gear any more than any other networking/telecoms equipment maker.

1. Mike VandeVelde

Re: I don't think China is doing much more espionage than other countries are not doing...

Over the last several decades China has not invaded anyone, bombed anyone, drone attacked anyone, or opened any new military bases outside of its own borders. Food for thought.

1. therealmav

Re: I don't think China is doing much more espionage than other countries are not doing...

Over the last several decades China has not invaded anyone, bombed anyone, drone attacked anyone, or opened any new military bases outside of its own borders. Food for thought.

I guess that Dalai Lama bloke just made it up...

2. Looper
        FAIL

"Over the last several decades China has not invaded anyone, bombed anyone, drone attacked anyone, or opened any new military bases outside of its own borders. Food for thought"

You've never heard of Tibet then, have you?

1. Mike VandeVelde
          Holmes

I've heard of Tibet, it has most recently been part of China for over 60 years now.

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge

I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach. Looks impressive on the face of it, but whenever I see claim and counter claim at this level I'm reminded of the ancient quote:

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive"

6. mhenriday
    Boffin

Show me the backdoor !

Given what we know about the spying on companies carried out by the NSA - and other US «[un]intelligence agencies» - for the commercial benefit of competitors headquartered in the US, any claims from these agencies that a certain foreign company builds backdoors in its equipment which relay information to the spy agencies of its home country should be taken cum grano salis and regarded as the thief-crying-thief manoeuvres they so obviously are. Those who believe that, e g, Cisco kit is less likely to contain backdoors than Huawei counterparts are naive or disingenuous....

Henri

1. Tom -1

Re: Show me the backdoor !

Not only is it no more likely to contain backdoors, it's rather more likely to work and it comes with better support than Cisco stuff.

7. netminder

As if the Chinese are going to respect your privacy and security any more than the NSA. Seriously? DO you really think they are not doing exactly the same thing but are better at hiding it? Are you under 13 or just thick?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like