back to article Nokia getting there with HERE as rivals talk up price

Nokia HERE, its mapping and location businesses, might be worth more than the former handset giant thought, as rival companies talk up the value, and a consortium of car companies square up to an alliance of Uber and China’s Baidu. Nokia bought Navteq for $8.1bn and renamed it HERE, and then fell on hard times and sold its …

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Worth as much as 6 billion?

You know you're in the shit when losing 2 billion dollars looks like success...

1. Hans 1

Re: Worth as much as 6 billion?

Beat me to it ...

2. Snowy Silver badge

Was thinking along the same line, but a 2 billion dollars lose it better than the 6 billion dollars it looked like they could have lost if they had sold it the first time.

I also wonder what else the company got when they purchased Navteq for $8.1bn but is not part of the potential sale (some interesting patents?)

3. Sir Sham Cad

You're reading it wrong. The original cost was 8.1 billion USD. The 6 billion estimate is in Euro. Ignoring what the Euro/Dollar exchange rate was at purchase, 8.1bn USD is about 7bn Euro. So they'd lose 1 billion on purchase price.

That's OK if they've made that profit in the preceding years and especially so if the bidding war pushes past the 6.

2. Tom Chiverton 1

Why don't Audi etc. just spend less than 6 billion on supporting Open Street Map (and the local versions there of) ?

1. Hans 1

Hello ? No Really, HELLO??????

You are a corp, you wanna make $$$$ by fsck'ing the competition, you are not gonna help them by funding Open Street Map, especially if you are the only one to do so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"You are a corp, you wanna make $$$$ by fsck'ing the competition"

And you want to make a shed load of cash from the sale of over-priced options. I've not checked Audi's price list, but as a general rule built in satnav is about five to eight times the cost of a standalone Garmin unit, and map upgrades are charged at obscene prices through the dealer network.

Car makers profits are intrinsically tied up with options added to the base vehicle, and built in sat nav has been one of the higher margin options for many years. Even if Audi funded OSM, that would not result in any lower cost for the built in navigation or for the upgrades.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Speaking as an Audi owner ...

... their GPS mapping system is f*ng aweful, so HERE would likely be a vast improvement

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Tom Chiverton

Clearly you don't know what it takes to actually make the underlying map.

There's a lot of work that goes in to properly identifying the location of the road link, type of road, address range, positions of speed limit signs, over passes, which lane you should be in when you are using it for driving instructions... and more.

There are reasons why the auto consortium want to buy HERE that go beyond simple map making.

Posted ANON for the obvious reasons. ;-)

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Users expect maps to be free?

If we're talking about the Android and iOS apps then people would be willing to pay for traffic, multi-country maps, and hi-fi voices. But really end users don't bring in a lot of profit, it's the companies who licence the maps. It's not as if Google Maps is free for licencees either.

1. david bates

Re: Users expect maps to be free?

You get traffic for free on Waze, as well as speed cameras, incident reports and I think fuel prices (it asks for them anyway if it suspects you're at a petrol station)...dunno about multi-county but I assume so.

4. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Happy

HERE app on my Windows Phone

is a perfect turn by turn sat-nav.

that's all.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: HERE app on my Windows Phone

Does any other satnav or satnav app have similar function to the Here Drive+ commute function?

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
        Thumb Up

I don't know. But I do know mine has "learnt" my routes. It now no longer corrects my shortcuts on/off the motorway.

2. hoverboy

For me it was always the killer app for the Nokia Windows Phones and I suspect it is why they ended up with (almost) the entire (albeit small) market. It's also now available as an Android app and I used it last weekend with downloaded maps on my Nexus 7. IMO it's better than any other turn by turn, free or paid.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On android too, and you don't have to endure windows phone...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May not be a bad deal

Nokia may have siphoned off profits during the course of owning the company (money and valuables), so selling it for a lower price may not be catastrophic.

6. James 51

HERE is the best of the built in sat nav for phones and has been for some time. Here's hoping that whoever ends up with it keeps it going instead of just slurping the data. Does MS still ship HERE with new lumias?

1. Zimmer
      Thumb Up

Still HERE

Yes, they do still ship it with new Lumias... at least the 640 purchased earlier this week came with HERE

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I demand an offline solution, HERE is my choice.

My use is almost always in countries where data roaming is simply out of the question. I download the countries/states I need and everything works great. I have used it on my N9 and iPhone6 with excellent results. YMMV

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like