back to article School's in for Chromebooks, Google's the top swot in class

Chromebooks will be shipping to the tune of 7.3 million units this year, thanks mostly to educational sales. Research house Gartner estimates that the 2015 calendar year will bring banner sales for the operating system as more schools and home users seek out Chromebooks. Should Chromebook reach the 7.3 million unit mark, the …

1. king of foo

Noooooo.....

I can hear stallman's wailing from here!

By hey, at least they're cheap AND conditioning our kids to be good little products...

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Just bought a Toshiba Chromebook II

Partly for the *excellent* screen, partly for the portability, battery life, and weight.

Now I've installed a Linux distribution (using crouton, with Cinnamon desktop environment, after jumping through a few hoops) I'm really pleased with it. It'll never be a power-user machine but it does simple development, plus all the internet stuff that I need and without the need to be connected all the time.

Though it's not something I'd recommend to the Aged Parents[tm] or even daughter who has used linux for years. As a chromebook it does suffer rather from the same problems that afflict android tablets: not everything I do is connected to the web.

And where's the bloody delete key? What imbecile decided that was unnecessary?

1. pepsiman

Re: Just bought a Toshiba Chromebook II

delete is alt+backspace.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183101?hl=en-GB

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
        Pint

Thanks for that; I shall have to play and see if the mapping survives the linuxy bits (country coding doesn't).

2. Fungus Bob

"And where's the bloody delete key?"

It deleted itself.

3. Kevin Reilly

If you want to equip an IT lab for young fanbois one Mac Pro plus 20 odd1 chromebooks will do the job at a fraction of the cost of buying Macbooks. Look it up.

1. joeW

Chromebooks RDP-ing to a Mac server, something like that?

4. RyokuMas
    Black Helicopters

Created by Google as a low-cost method for running web applications increasing the amount of data they can gather about you...

TFTFY

5. The last doughnut

Created by Google as a low-cost method for increasing the number of people using the internet without feeding the Redmond monster.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like