back to article Belgian telco prepares to tear out last of nation's phone boxes

Proximus, the Belgian mobile operator, is about to complete the process of removing its last 300 phone boxes. The last will be ceremonially felled on June 1 in Antwerp. As part of the removal of the phone boxes, thirty of them were put up as prizes in a competition which took the form of a cultural project. (link via Google …

1. Nextweek

I am upset

There is a clear opportunity to turn these into WiFi hotspots. Remove the phone, just have a mast and you'll provide the current generation of users with what they actually want.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I am upset

You mean a means to call a friend for a pickup when your phone's dead or stolen and your friends have ditched you?

You would not believe how many times I've seen that happen with my own eyes.

2. CAPS LOCK

That is ACTUALLY HAPPENING in Leeds, the old red boxes are being painted blue and set up as free wiffy hot-spots. One of the local telcos ( Googley google ->AQL telecom) is doing it.

1. PNGuinn
        Go

"wiffy hot-spots"

Hmmm... I see what you did there (not literally I trust).

3. Kernel

"There is a clear opportunity to turn these into WiFi hotspots. Remove the phone, just have a mast and you'll provide the current generation of users with what they actually want"

Been there, done that! - there's been WiFi hotspots on many phone boxes in New Zealand for at least a couple of years now - and you get 1GB/day for free if you're with the carrier that owns the phone boxes.

2. Little Mouse

Fugly

Does that qualify as a "Design Icon" in Belgium?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fugly

To be fair they don't all look like that. On the other hand I've never seen a nice one.

For the phone box fanciers, you'll note that the one in the picture is marked "Belgacom" which has recently been re-branded Proximus. Proximus used to be the mobile phone arm of Belgacom, although they were officially separated for a while. The logo on this one is fairly recent.

I'm also not convinced the article is correct as there's one near me (some way from Antwerp) which shows no signs of being removed.

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Unhappy

Adopt a (British) Kiosk

Unfortunately, the BT website says only charities or councils can adopt phone kiosks.

4. chivo243 Silver badge

Indecent exposure

Looks like the man of steel will have to look elsewhere for a phone booth to put on his tights...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Indecent exposure

Maybe a shower curtain-like smartphone clip-on made from solar sail foil?

5. TeeCee Gold badge

"travelling in time and space"

Excellent!

<air guitar>

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Alien

Re: "travelling in time and space"

I wonder what proportion of El Reg readers read the article and thought "Bill & Ted" compared to "Dr. Who" ?

1. choleric

Re: "travelling in time and space"

Dr Who? Bogus.

I thought Bill & Ted. Bodacious dude.

6. Phil Endecott

One box near me has been turned into an ATM.

I also wondered if they could be turned into super-loos. (Serious suggestion.) They are clearly a bit too small, but thinking about what visitors to this city centre need pre- and post- busy Saturday evenings, it is cash and urinals.

1. Martin

Or how about phone charging centres?

Just somewhere you could recharge your phone for ten minutes - enough to get it working again to phone home or a taxi.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Or how about phone charging centres?

Just somewhere you could recharge your phone for ten minutes - enough to get it working again to phone home or a taxi."

Not a bad thought, though you're still up the creek if your phone is stolen (or left in the car of the friends who just ditched you). Sometimes, all you want is an actual phone you can pick up and dial.

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

taking the p***

Over the years, I have seen many BT phone kiosks re-purposed as urinals.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon