back to article US Air Force reveals what's inside its top-secret space plane, this time

The US Air Force has responded to fears that it is weaponizing space through its secret space shuttle by providing some details of what it will contain at launch on Wednesday. The now not-so-secret X-37B will lift off at 1045 EDT (1445 UTC) from Cape Canaveral in Florida on an Atlas V rocket operated by the United Launch …

1. phil dude
    Thumb Up

interesting....

It might be the endorphins from my run, but I found this article optimistic.

P.

1. BillG
      Boffin

To Boldy Go

"Either a nuclear pile a hundred miles across or..."

2. The Dude

What's the url of the web server?

1. Rich 11

www.100milehighclub.xxx

Apologies if that actually resolves to anything NSFW.

3. x 7

"a CIA-funded satellite containing a TCP/IP web server"

It'll be hacked already by the Russians and/or Chinese.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Penguins In Space!

It'll be hacked already by the Russians and/or Chinese.

So predictable, you might imagine it might be a honeypot? Probably not. From NASA's description of the mission:

"A further payload being carried for the Naval Academy is the USS Langley, or Unix Space Server Langley. A three-unit CubeSat, Langley is indented to demonstrate the use of off-the-shelf components to operate a Linux-based web server in space. This will be connected to the internet via the satellite’s ground stations."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

testing out orbital data networking

I think more likely for network spoofing

4. Brian 3
    Mushroom

I do believe the USAF is adopting a wait and see approach here.. Wait and see if those russian engines explode, so put a cheap/disposable payload on board.

1. x 7

the payload is cheap...but the X-37B isn't, especially with that upgraded ion drive.

It must be a worry though - didn't the last one of these (with a standard payload) fail due to the Russian motors having problems? If memory is right the last four launches using Russian motors (1xUSA, 1xESA, 2x Russia) have all failed in one way or another

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The motors for this one were sourced ages ago

The motors for each of these launches were different and sourced at a different time. So even if there is a common factor, it is not the engine itself.

5. Kharkov
    Devil

The X-37, again.

Ok, first things first. Launching CubeSats, testing materials and ion drives, great, all good stuff, thumbs up and so on.

But, launched on an expensive rocket (one with an excellent safety record though) inside the cargo bay of an X-37. A mini-spaceplane doing expensive research for the US Air Force (when will they get around to renaming it 'Aerospace Force'?) and, by its very existence, encouraging others NOT to do similar research for fear that, half-way through, they'll be told to stop as they're infringing on Classified Research.

Is the X-37 a weapon? No, I don't think so but it is a prototype/test bed for an eventual orbital weapons system. A really expensive system, weaponising space (or at least, it will, in the future).

In short, an expensive system, that will lead to weapons where we really don't want them, that stifles similar lines of research in civilian hands.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: The X-37, again.

I doubt even the US is brazen enough to break the international bans on spacebased weapon systems.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think the point is they don't need to be space based, if you can fit the x-37 with rockets/Dr Evil style lasers and fire them at earth you achieve the same thing but don't have to stay in space, you could always leave a couple up there at any given time doing "Research".

1. Gordon 10
          Black Helicopters

I think you are over estimating the US's capabilities if you think they can get an Orbit to Ground laser into an X-37b. They cant even get a shorter range Air to Air laser in a Jumbo.

Anything that fits into its cargo bay is going to be 1 use orbital denial.

It would be far simpler to weaponise a cubesat with a drive and a small explosive charge. Indeed I do wonder if this new ion drive can generate enough delta-v to engage Russian satellites in the time it is out of direct comms with Moscow.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

@AC, If they are fired from orbit, they are space based weapons. It doesn't matter if they STAY there. (Eventually few sattelites do. Granted it'll take a couple of millenia)

2. picturethis
        Mushroom

If the X37 isn't permamently in space, does it fall under "space-based" weapons? I don't know.. This may be a way to be able to deploy/use weapons from space without really being space-based and only when needed during a time of war. Maybe the treaty should have stated (or maybe is does?): weapons being fired from space..

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Yes, if its fired from orbit its banned. Specifically the treaties ban ANY weapon system that follows a non ballistic trajectory. A weapon system is not allowed to get into a state where it would continue to orbit without the use of an engine. Thus, yes, fitting a weapons system to the X-37 would be in clear violation of the weapons treaties.

6. M7S
    Coat

Only one Ion Engine?

I understood they worked much better in multiples, usually in a twin arrangement.

Mine's the cloak, thank you.

1. cray74

Re: Only one Ion Engine?

I understood they worked much better in multiples, usually in a twin arrangement."

The engines don't get any performance enhancement from being mounted in multiples. Instead, multiple ion engines are usually mounted on spacecraft for reliability reasons. They're expected to operate for thousands of hours at high voltages, often with erosive internal conditions. There isn't a normal number, though, two or otherwise.

The Smart-1 probe had a single ion engine, which proved adequate for its full mission. Hayabusa had 4, and all crapped out at some point before remote repairs got at least 1 working for the flight home. Deep Space-1 had a single thruster, which didn't fail; Dawn uses 3 of the same thrusters as DS-1 (no problems to date); the Boeing 702SP uses 4 XIPS engines.

1. Highroads
        Happy

Re: Only one Ion Engine?

"I understood they worked much better in multiples, usually in a twin arrangement."

I think it's an acronym. First use about 1977?

7. Atomic Duetto

Sailor moon

How long would it take a cube sat with a 32m2 sail to actually get to the moon ?

I hope it has teak decking on it somewhere.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Sailor moon

Make some assumptions/guesses and plug them into

http://www.georgedishman.f2s.com/solar/Calculator.html

9. elawyn

I watched this live, since I helped fund the lightsail (got a nice 18 x 36 technical drawing signed by the team) back in 2010. Had goosebumps watching the launch.

It's one of so very few technologies that could lead to viable space colonization.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The clueless whine...

The clueless don't even know that their arzes are being protected by the U.S.'s proactive space security monitoring systems so they constantly carp about the U.S. using space to protect us from evil.

1. hplasm
      WTF?

Re: The clueless whine...

The clueless whine...

You should consider that as a username. So much better than AC.

11. King Of Xy
    Big Brother

Rock the Planet

How much weight on any motor with steering control do you need to drop an object from low Earth orbit to hit the surface? The Moon is a harsh mistress.

12. bernmeister
    Alert

What are they hiding in the other hand?

Of course, its what they are not disclosing that is of real interest. The mind boggles at the potential.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon