back to article Screech! Grand Theft Auto V malware mods warning

Cybercrooks are cooking up malware disguised as mods for the Grand Theft Auto V video game. GTA V allows players to modify their gaming environment with "mods" (modifications). It's all been good fun, but recently two of the mods – "Angry Planes" and "No Clip" – have generated warnings on forums frequented by fans of the game …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprise...

Given the massive success of GTA V and the fact that most gamers are craving for the coolest mods and features, it must be a very welcome target group for the nasty guys. Add to that the fact that mods are coming from untrusted sources (Rockstar doesn't endorse or officially support any), this really is no surprise at all.

2. WonkoTheSane

Obscure X-Men reference

Kitty Pride would have been a more universally known through-wall-walker.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. David Lewis 2
      Coat

Re: Obscure X-Men reference

Funny, my first reference was the "Doom" cheat. I must be showing my age.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

noclip

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You mean : IDCLIP

1. Jamesit

nope:IDSPISPOPD

1. Anonymous Bullard

IDCLIP ... IDSPISPOPD

Depends on what version you're playing.

3. Crazy Operations Guy

Mods on steam

Except people will still go to third party websites to download mods that don't pass Steam's policies, such as the "Hot Coffee" mod... People will ignore every security warning in existence if there is any possibility of seeing genitals.

1. Old Handle
      Devil

Re: Mods on steam

Not to mention that Steam itself has spyware capabilities, so at best it'd be a lesser of two evils kind of trade.

1. Sebastian A

Personally, I'd rather Valve have my details than random Chinese cybercrooks, if for no other reason than that Valve already get most of my disposable income anyway.

2. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

It's better to have a gaming setup separate from the computer you use for online banking and similar, which helps to mitigate both the issue of flaws within Steam and any malware that might come with whatever mods you download. Even if it is something as simple as a swappable HD rather than an entire dedicated machine, this would seem to be a reasonable step to take.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like