back to article Pandora ordered to pay up extra royalties in BMI row

Pandora has lost a legal decision that will see the company fork out more money to performing rights clearing house group BMI to pay for its content. A court in New York found the streaming music giant to be liable for additional royalties, bumping the fees it owes to BMI up from 1.7 per cent to 2.5 per cent of revenues. The …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Sony ICF-7600D

I own one.

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Percentage of revenues

If revenues are nil, then no money for BMI?

There are so many Internet Radio Stations happily streaming away, 24/7, with not a single commercial or appeal for money.

Endless music with no interruptions.

1. Tom 13

Percentage of revenues part 2

While 2.5% doesn't sound like much on the surface, if you've got to pay that out to 50 different parties because not everybody is registered with BMI it can be downright onerous.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

And all in the name of the artists rights - who get shafted whoever 'wins'.

4. ecofeco Silver badge
    Facepalm

20 years later

20 years later and the chronic masturbation entertainment industry STILL hasn't figured out how the Intertubes work.

Every single label, studio, and patent troll royalty holder/extortion enforcer association could build their own website and do the same damn thing!

1. earl grey
      FAIL

Re: 20 years later

Sorry I can only upvote you once. Been saying the same thing since they drove Napster into the ocean.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Thanks earl grey. Yeah, I remember those days quite well.

2. FozzyBear

Unfortunately these people have all the forward thinking of council parking officers armed with wheel clamps.

Still it is amusing to see them fight a losing battle to keep the old business model profitable

3. GrumpyOldBloke

The value in the music business is created by the distribution industry not the studios'. The studio's job is to churn out endless product in various flavours by anyone willing to be an indentured servant. Have a dream, sign the contract, hire the facilities and maybe we can both make a dollar. It is the distribution industry that filters the dross and markets a select few titles at a time to their end user segments as culture, something desirable to be part of and to own. The moment the studio's start their own web site and bypass the distribution networks is the moment our highly paid stars go back to an honest days pay for an honest days work. The problem with all you can eat services like Pandora with little overt promotion and custom playlists is that they are no longer fulfilling the traditional role of the distribution network. They are therefore being asked to pay more to the studios' to offset this value being lost.

5. x 7

So they're making Pandora crack open her box?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

I see what you did there. Very clever in more ways than one. Upvoted.

6. Tenacal

Pick your own court!

"We disagree with the Court’s ruling and will appeal to the same court that ruled in Pandora's favor in the ASCAP case last week"

Appeal to the court that agrees with you. Then a counter-appeal to the court that made today's ruling. Then a counter-counter-appeal.

How can you get away with picking whatever system favours you and still call it a fair proceeding?

1. Tom 13

Re: Pick your own court!

That was probably a badly worded comment. To appeal, you have to move to a higher court, but you don't get your choice of courts, that depends on where you fall in the brackets. Sounds like the higher court handed down a decree last week and this decree is not in accordance with it. So Pandora will appeal and BMI will argue there is no basis for appeal.

In this instance I'd expect to appellate court to vacate the lower court decision, send the case back and instruct the judge to take into account its most recent ruling. If Pandora and BMI reach an agreement before the lower court re-issues its decree the whole thing is moot.

But yeah, especially with reference to music and movies, it's impossible for the average guy to believe that the courts are being fair.

7. jelabarre59

who gets the money

The major problem I have with these royalty/licensing deals is the same issue I had with the attempts to tack on a royalties fee on CDs. Just HOW do the folks handling these fees decide how much goes to which party. In the end it's just corporate welfare for the mega-corps slogging such crap as Justin Blahblah at us, while the struggling independent artists get nothing, as usual. Considering the struggling independent stand to lose MORE, percentage-wise, from the streaming or unauthorized copying. But because they don't have the lawyers and money to bribe the appropriate bureaucrats and congresscritters, they get steamrolled by the media conglomerates. So in the end it's just more corporate welfare for companies who can't compete in a real marketplace.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon