back to article BOFH: Getting to the brown, nutty heart of the water cooler matter

"..and so we just mix all the ingredients together like this, tip it out onto a surface like so, and roll it into a roughly cylindrical shape. Now we just push in the extras and then pop it into the freezer for a few hours till it's nice and hard and easy to handle. And we're done," the PFY says with a flourish. I can't …

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Looks like dog shit

smells like dog shit

feels like dog shit

tastes like dog shit

sure glad I didn't step in it!

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Looks like dog shit

Ogg like this joke.

2. hplasm
    Devil

BOFH-

I feel a brownout coming on...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Absolutely classic.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Thumb Up

And on a Friday afternoon too, perfect to keep you going until beer o'clock on POETS day.

All is right with the world for once...

4. Swarthy
    Coffee/keyboard

Beautiful!

5. TechicallyConfused

I love BOFH

6. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

Best BOFH for ages, proper lol'd at the Bourne protocol :)

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: Sir

Indeed, even brought to mind the classic spy spoof on the subject as well...

7. Alistair
    Coat

Long weekend BOFH

Good start to a day that is heading downhill rapidly......

8. Alan Ferris

causing at least one of his co-workers to upload their lunch.

cute

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Genius!

"....Bourne Protocol.... Ghost protocol.... Fourth Protocol...."

1. Rick Giles
      Coat

Re: Genius!

At least it didn't drop a Fifth Element...

10. Alien8n

Caddyshack

Ah, the immortal fake turd...

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Caddyshack

I was just thinking the same thing, nothing like a floating Baby Ruth to clear the pool!

11. Gordon 10
    Coffee/keyboard

crying with laughter here

top notch BOFH. Best for ages.

12. earl grey
    Pint

thank you

We needed that.

13. Wommit

Oh yes, still sniggering.

14. Maty

ahh...

I used to take a Dak regularly between Grand Reef and what was then Salisbury in Rhodesia. The old Gooney bird had to fly very low for part of the journey to avoid rockets, which meant getting bucked around a lot by thermals.

So, on a trip with newbies, some of the infantry guys would fill one of those green NATO airsickness bags with fruit salad, and once the plane started the full roller-coaster bit and the newbs were looking a bit green, he'd pretend to barf into the bag.

Then he'd pass it to the person next to him, who'd take out some of the fruit salad and start to eat it. We had to stop doing that eventually because too many newbs didn't get to their own barf bags in time.

1. imanidiot Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: ahh...

That is just proper evil. I like it

15. Tweetiepooh

Thankyou

What a good way to end the week.

16. Unicornpiss
    Pint

Thank you for improving what is turning into a very aggravating day.

17. Tom 7

Sqonque!

The sound of ones nasal cavity being laughed onto a keyboard.

You owe me one!

18. Mark 85
    Coffee/keyboard

Icon... that is all. Where's the icon for picking one's self up off the floor?

19. laird cummings

No school like old school

The PFY has stepped into the past in a grand fashion.

20. fearnothing
    Thumb Up

Did anyone else read the start and think 'plastic explosives'? Ending did not disappoint, but a different kind of explosion was implied. Regardless, nth-ing best BOFH for ages.

21. Number6

A well-polished article.

22. skeptical i
    Devil

surprised no one's mentioned "that scene" from _Pink Flamingos_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlcle4VqZA

RIP Divine.

23. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

Just what I needed

great episode

24. Youngdog

"Nice tie," I add. That's five.

Brilliant.

25. Graham Newton

Amateurs

We used modeled Ginger nut biscuits swimming in lager in a chamber pot .

The future groom had to eat and drink it.

Then we got chucked out the pub.

26. Chozo

Nutella on the toilet seat also works well if you're in a hurry.

27. MAH

I am trying extremely hard not to visualize the last part...so I don't upload my breakfast...

28. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Happy

Brilliant!

Actually I thought Simon would eplace the fake with a real one before the PFY's little act in front of the coffee machine, but that would have escalated too quickly perhaps.

29. Frank N. Stein

Simon is my hero. Only a SYS ADMIN can get away with this sort of thing. A Helpdesk tech? Not so much. +

30. Alister
    Coffee/keyboard

You know how each packet is supposed to have a responding acknowledge packet which is source routed back to the originating hardware address using the Bourne Protocol? Well ours has apparently been flipping between Ghost protocol and the Fourth Protocol because of a memory issue

Brilliant!

I splorfed...

31. Herby

Be careful what you ask for...

You may just get it (as in this case).

Or in this case, what you think you asked for subconsciously.

A true BOFH would have published the complete recipe for all to follow. I should now follow my advise and hide under a rock.

32. lpcollier

Medical Students

This reminds me of an old trick that consultants used to play on medical students (you'd get sacked now, of course). When a patient has diabetes, the urine is often sugary. The consultant would ask the nurse for a sample of urine in a bowl, dip his finger into it, lick his finger and take a guess at how high the patient's blood sugar was (of course he had looked at the charts earlier). He'd then pass the bowl around all the students how would each dutifully dip a finger in and taste the urine to "learn" how to assess how sugary it is.

Of course, the consultant had dipped one finger in, licked a different finger and hastily washed the urine off.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Medical Students

You speak the truth.

I was told about that trick by my high school biology teacher, so when a consultant tried it at medical school I was already wise to it and I did the finger switcheroo just like the consultant had. He noticed me switch, but the student next to me didn't...

33. Agincourt and Crecy!

Teatime.

A few years back I was a Paramedic. We had a station cleaner with a "delicate stomach" and a thing about vomit. The slightest hint of diced carrot sent her retching to the toilet.

On afternoon shift I had vegetable soup and some very nice bread. The soup was warned in the microwave and served along with the bread in a vomit bowl. I sat down, dipped the bread in the soup and started eating.

It took some time to clear up afterwards and I now understand why it was called the "mess room"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like