back to article Record smartphones sales, but feature phones far from dead

The first quarter of 2015 saw global smartphone sales set a new record of $96 billion, with the most desirable elements being big screens and 4G. The stats come from market analysis firm GfK, which compiles figures for the top handset manufacturers — so while it's happy to trumpet the good numbers, any questions about who sold …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bought my first smartphone this quarter...

My LG20 was £15 on PAYG, but is now £25 though, but that's probably why smartphone sales are at an all time high, they're finally at a low enough cost for the cheapskates like me to give them a try. And the cheap ones are small and fit in your pocket, not like the flagship Dom Jolly designer monstrosities...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bought my first smartphone this quarter...

Same here. I needed a dual sim phone and my very ancient Nokia was literally falling apart - sticky tape only lasts so long. I found that a smartphone was cheaper than a replacement for the Nokia.

The only problem is what to do with all the extra junk it has even after unloading as much as it allowed me to.

2. SuccessCase

"any questions about who sold what and to whom are met with a mumble"

Doesn't have a regional breakdown, but for Q1 this year the following is estimated but with some justification -

Top 5 vendor Android handset sales:

HTC 5.0m

Sony 7.9m

LG 15.4m

Samsung 83.3m*

Combined Operating Profit (top 5 combined) $2.09 bn

Apple handset sales 61.17m

Apple Operating Profit $11.27 bn

Source: Charles Arthur

*see the footnotes in the linked article

3. Bleu

I already have

a working 'feature phone', and I pine for its reconnection. Repairs are said to be too expensive.

I want a new and similar one, although I will keep the old one going anyway because the camera is great if it is not dark.

Going off the topic, I have something called 'cute and sweet battery and memory optimiser' on this Kyocera Android thing, it has an end-of-service announcement button, I am sure it was not there when I first downloaded it.

It is on the fifteenth of June, I thought about just deleting it, but I want to see what happens, does it just stop working or disappear?

It has no explicit connections to the 'net, I suspect that whatever happens, it will demonstrate that Stallman is more often right than wrong.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like