back to article Bring the Banhammer! Microsoft declares WAR on leaky Gears Xbox users

Microsoft has struck down the Xbox Live accounts of those who have attempted to leak and share videos of its wide-scale beta test of the upcoming Gears of War remake. Kotaku reports that a memo from games testing company VMC said that Microsoft had both permanently banned the leakers from Xbox Live and temporarily disabled …

1. Amorous Cowherder

"Microsoft enforcement action does not result in a console becoming unusable."

No as that would probably land MS in court however given the nature of the wonderful connected world we find ourselves in these days, something that can't connect to it's main source of data is pretty much crippled.

2. Tom_

American Offices

"We were unable to get through to the company's American offices, possibly because staff there are not allowed to even pick up the phone, for fear of accidentally confirming something."

It's also possible that you were calling well before anyone was at work.

1. DNTP

Re: American Offices

This is me and California every week, but hey, from my point of view I always get new Reg content early in the morning.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: American Offices

Native Californiano and I get El Reg early morning as well, like just after midnight!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to the wonderful world of the future of games distribution. Never buy a console and never buy a game where you can only get it through the developers own walled garden. Also never pre order, and where you can avoid premium games that don't provide you your own server software to run the game on.

1. Roger B

This is nothing new, both Microsoft and Sony and probably Nintendo have been able to block the online features of console users who break the ToS or in this case two guys who got a bit to excited about the remastered Gears of War game they were testing and broke the NDA. I am pretty sure Steam would also block you from their service if you broke their ToS and yes your games would still be playable offline as they are on the two consoles, MP has gone for you. Although Steam just needs a new account to get yourself back online, bans from Sony and Microsoft would require new consoles.

Preordering I can agree with, the temptation to get the game on launch day can be high, but wait a few days, let the now mandatory day 1 patch be issued and then updated and grab a copy a little cheaper in a few weeks.

4. The Mighty Spang

up with this sort of thing!

they broke the NDA so they can post their crap up onto the net going ZOMG FURST GEERS OV WUR GAMEPLAY VEEEDEO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE! LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE! and feel slightly better about their pathetic feeble existence for a few minutes.

if it could be possible id like them to send a command to overheat the machines and blow them up as well. perhaps that could be achieved by trying to get the pathetic underpowered devices to try and render 1080p60.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

they have any left?

Users I mean.. All the hardcore xbox360 owners I know all have a PS4 this gen. Partly due to the launch about turn after about turn farce, but usually because all the games play and look better on PS4.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like