back to article Row at UN domain-name body WIPO: Probes shut down, payout from controversial chief

United Nations agency WIPO (the World Intellectual Property Organisation) is in the spotlight again after staff members wrote to UN ambassadors demanding to know why investigations into the behaviour of WIPO head Francis Gurry have been closed down. El Reg can also exclusively reveal details of a mysterious payment made by Gurry …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

to be clear

Probably the first paragraph should read WIPO Director General Gurry; as it makes the full scale of the article and quoted texts easier to interpret rather than "WIPO head Francis Gurry".

"WIPO is currently advertising for a director of internal oversight", is there an online application form? Mine's the coat bulging with Swiss Francs.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      Joke

Re: to be clear

Yeah, but you have to buy the rubber stamp yourself.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: to be clear

The "internal oversight" position is misnamed. It's not so much a matter of overseeing as one of overlooking.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is there any branch of any governing agency that's not corrupt?

and are there any main stream media outlets that would like to report these shenanigans?

It's a funny old world, at least were overdue a collapse of society.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The French?

Aren't they famous for executing, well, everybody. not just the messenger?

4. TitterYeNot

International trough for international snouts

Ah, the good old UN. More brown envelopes going to and fro than my local Royal Mail sorting office...

5. Mark 85

Whilst there some parts of the UN that do some good, I don't believe it's worth the time, effort, and money to keep this organization going. Perhaps the best solution is get rid of everyone involved, bulldoze the properties and start over.

This conglomerate mess called the UN is probably more corrupt and self-serving than any government in the world. This scandal is just one of many tips of the iceberg.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

US Help?

Given that this administration has prosecuted /persecuted more whistle-blowers than all the Presidents combined (almost twice, in fact), I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're giving DG Gerry pointers!

7. x 7

does the UN actually achieve anything? Is there a point to it? Time to withdraw funding maybe?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like