back to article Rare monkeys stolen from French zoo – now even rarer

Seventeen endangered monkeys have been stolen from ZooParc de Beauval, a zoological conservation park in Saint-Aignan-sur-Cher, central France. ZooParc de Beauval's director, Rodolphe Delord, said the thieves had broken into the zoo on Saturday night, avoiding security cameras and patrols, and stole seven golden lion tamarins …

1. Pen-y-gors

Inside job? or Escape to Freedom?

Sounds like the 'thieves' had excellent knowledge of the security system - probably gained by observing it day after day after day. Bet they're on their way back to the Amazon in a stolen boat right now....which they're steering themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Inside job? or Escape to Freedom?

I wonder if they have noticed any missing penguins, yet?

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

If it was a tiger or snow leopard they would have been on their way to the private zoo of a mobster or a ruler of a small feudal fiefdom on the ex-USSR periphery. That I can undersand. Monkeys however... I dont geddit...

1. msknight

"Smile and wave, boys ... smile and wave...."

2. Triggerfish

Re: Inside job? or Escape to Freedom? @Voland

There's a good trade in rare species for various reasons, Tigers might be impressive but people will buy these because they are rare and its status to own them. Or just because they are cute and so a must have for someone with more money than morals.

The trade in animals like the Loris is down to how appealing they are, having met a rescued slow loris that was being kept by a friend for a while until it could be moved to a sanctuary I can see the attraction in them as pets (to some degree, there are downsides), but they should never be taken out of the wild. Stealing the monkeys from a zoo is probably easier than capturing them and gets you nicely around having to worry about smuggling them out of Brazil.

2. Captain DaFt

Hopefully soon...

The thieves will be ape-prehended.

1. choleric

Re: Hopefully soon...

I'm sure the Brazilians won't be giving a monkey's for French zoos any longer.

1. bpfh
        Joke

I knew that the Brazilians didn't give a monkey's...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Did they get stolen at all? I understand that monkeys have been known to spontaneously combust. One minute they are fine, the next.... ba-boom. I thank you......

3. Martin Budden Silver badge

You've all gone bananas.

3. Ralph B

"I can't at all see what the thieves can do with them."

I could imagine that seven golden lion tamarins and 10 silver marmosets would be enough for a couple of fur coats to wonderfully complement those Apple Watch Editions in yellow and rose gold that someone very richspecial has on order. Darling.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Joke

Re: "I can't at all see what the thieves can do with them."

Cruella, next time post under your own name.

2. Slacker@work

Next weeks Post-pub neck filler???

1. FredBloggs61

Methinks typewriters may be involved...

2. Rusty 1
        Thumb Up

I love rare monkeys, especially those elusive lion tamarins. Much like golden eagles and giant pandas, they go so jolly well with a really nice fresh mustard.

4. Gordon 10

Maybe

One of them was Nicole Kidmans soul?

5. Jimboom

Isn't this

how 12 monkeys started?

1. VinceH

Re: Isn't this

28 Days Later, Shirley?

2. Bob Dole (tm)

Re: Isn't this

>>how 12 monkeys started?

I think they took 5 too many for that.

Maybe three of the extras are for a hear no evil display. The final two would cover one for monkey see, monkey do.

6. Anonymous Blowhard

Mistaken Identity?

Tamarind Paste

1. TitterYeNot
      Coat

Re: Mistaken Identity?

More than a mistake, that would be a right howler.

Gibbon that these monkeys can't be sold legally, they'll be safely squirreled away somewhere by now. Hopefully it won't be much langur till they're found...

7. phuzz Silver badge
    Pint

"Billy No Primates"

Bloody marvellous!

for whoever wrote that >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

8. Richard Parkin

I don't see why El Reg contacted the RSPCA for comments which inevitably produced irrelevant remarks about primate pets in UK.

9. WolfFan Silver badge

The most expensive pet primate in the UK, plus two Tory ministers of government: http://awhitecarousel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Queen-Elizabeth-II-18113.jpg

10. hatti

Strict diet?

Inside job I reckon, check all purchases by staff for bulk banana quantities, that should narrow it down a bit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like