back to article Get paid (airline) peanuts with United's new bug bounty program

United Airlines is starting a bug bounty program aimed at finding flaws and errors in its web portals – but the rewards it's offering aren't payable in money, but in air miles. "At United, we take your safety, security and privacy seriously. We utilize best practices and are confident that our systems are secure," the company …

1. phil dude
    Joke

airmiles....

A HA HHA HAH HAH AH AHA HAHAH HAH

P.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: airmiles....

Actually united ones are semi-useful. You can book something with them even during peak periods. I use them regularly for flights to Euirope in mid-winter when the prices go through the roof because of the skiers.

Try that with BA or Iberia - there is zero availability during time you actually need them and nearly zero availability to book more than 2 people on a flight at a time.

It is not a useful "reward" for a bug bounty though.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: airmiles....

@Voland's right hand

As long as they aren't magically lost or no longer valid for any myriad of reasons, merger with this group, rewards program restructuring, etc.

I wouldn't do work for United just on principle alone, so airmiles would be a real big middle finger to me.

United is a no-fly zone for this old coot!

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

When they take it seriously, I will as well.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

WFT?

Surely someone's made a joke. If they only wanted the whitest of white-hats to submit bugs, I think they've nailed it.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: WFT?

WFT - Working For Tickets

4. armster

Better than nothing

Yes, Google, Facebook etc. offer better bounties, but I don't see any other website operators offer anything. How about free Tshirts for flaws on TheRegister???

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't knock it

50000 is probably good for a one way upgrade to long haul business class. I don't know the specifics of UA, but on BA 250000 will get you to Hong Kong and back in first (I've actually done that). Finding seats can be hard, but when you do, you're paying in miles for something that can cost upwards of £4000.

Anon. As someone who's done quite a bit of travel in premium cabins, where someone else has effectively paid for the miles (not to mention me being a mileage geek), I reckon that puts me in the official Twat Club.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't knock it

Just by using the term "mileage geek" puts you into the Twat Club... Also because I assume you are one of that ass-hats that book "disposable, point-beyond" tickets so that people that are actually going to the end destination are waiting on your dumb ass because the airline is nice and is waiting for you to make on the plane, but because you don't show up, we end up being delayed for half an hour for no reason.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nope, I've never failed to take a flight I booked. A long haul redemption, in business or first, to somewhere I actually want to go, is a precious thing indeed. To me the miles are just like money, but harder to spend.

1. Tim Starling

It's only worth £4000 if you were planning on spending £4000 for that flight but didn't have to because you had air miles. If you would never consider doing such a thing, then the value to you is lower than the retail price.

Bug bounties don't pay much per hour worked. In 2014 in Facebook's bug bounty program, the top 5 countries were India, Egypt, USA, UK and Philippines, in that order. Now tell me, how many Indians want to save on their business class travel?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-bug-bounty/2014-highlights-bounties-get-better-than-ever/1026610350686524

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"It's only worth £4000 if you were planning on spending £4000 for that flight but didn't have to because you had air miles. If you would never consider doing such a thing, then the value to you is lower than the retail price."

And I'll say to you what I've said to everyone else who employed that little argument. Bollards! I prefer to think of it as £4000-50000 pay rise (less the cost of an economy ticket, but plus the cost of the first day of the stay) plus a good night's sleep and plenty of premium booze*.

* Though I regard the JW Blue as overrated.

2. streaky

I'd take air miles, the problem is the requirement of having flown with them before...

Edit: apparently you can just sign up.. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/account/enroll.aspx

3. Nigel 13

Well, if you were to find a bug then that would make you a Twat Hat Hacker.

6. Mark 85

How this might play out....

Airmiles? Ok... They say they take this stuff seriously and it's important and they're confident that they are secure. Given the bounty, a few people will jump on it. Probaly not the experts. Maybe someone just trying to make a name for themselves will. In about a year or less, United will report something like: "see.. no bugs were found...we're great" due to a lack of bug reports. Then the blackhats who have been quietly working in the background and have taken the challenge for nefarious purposes will rip them a new one.

7. Crazy Operations Guy

"not negotiable currency for things like rent, food, or beer."

Nit sure about United, but Alaska airlines (and a couple others) allow you to pay for hotel bills with miles if you book it through their rewards site.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "not negotiable currency for things like rent, food, or beer."

They all have relationships with one or more of the hotels programmes, either through a miles to hotel points transfer, or by buying the stay directly with miles.

8. h4rm0ny
    Joke

If I hack their systems...

then I'm just keeping the plane. That way I can have as many air miles as I want and I can being my friends, too.

1. Mark 85

Re: If I hack their systems...

That's a start.. don't forget to hack the beer truck to make sure the plane is stocked properly.

9. Dwarf
    FAIL

Its a good job all the bad guys live in America

Otherwise what would happen if we played the airline's game and found a bug but we live in a places they are not present ??

It just makes the air miles so much more attractive..

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: Its a good job all the bad guys live in America

The land of the free home of the braid will place you on the no-fly list for looking foreign, for not looking foreign enough or for having some un'merican consonants in your name. Owning up to hacking airline web sites in order to win air miles appears to be an oxymoron.

1. Domino

Re: Its a good job all the bad guys live in America

I thought Africa was home of the braid.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Curious how this works

I'm curious how you can win this without also being exposed to some eager cops. So you go off, and poke around united.com. How hard do you poke before you break the law? View Source is going to be fine, but you aren't gonna find anything that way. In fact to trigger the interesting airmile bonuses you are going to have to do things like enter fake data and see if it comes back to you (to trigger, e.g. an XSS exploit). Wouldn't that get you both the airmiles and a one-way trip to jail?

1. Mark 85

Re: Curious how this works

Wouldn't that get you both the airmiles and a one-way trip to jail?

Now that's a concept... fly first class to jail....

2. h4rm0ny

Re: Curious how this works

That... is an exceedingly good point. Maybe one can use this offer as an open invitation to try hacking their systems? :)

11. wolfetone Silver badge
    Coat

Bug Hunting

It can take you to places you've never been to before...

12. SolidSquid

So how long until Tesco or another big supermarket starts offering club card points for people who find exploits?

Actually thinking about it, that might actually be *more* practical (since you can actually buy food and drink with them generally)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They have to try something to fill seats......

Who-T-F wants to fly United? Welcome to United. Our seats are plywood with a thin pleather covering.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon