back to article Drone penetrates Virgin's shapely space arse

US UAV outfit 3D Robotics is about to unleash its much-anticipated Solo, and has prompted a bit a of a geekgasm with a vid showing the "the world's smartest drone" penetrating Virgin's shapely space arse. Yes indeed, that's the Virgin Galactic terminal/hangar at Spaceport America, a structure we described as "a huge pair of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slightly worrying

It doesn't look anything like buttocks to me. Am I excessively heteronormative or does the Register team have a tendency to see bottoms everywhere?

1. Alister

Re: Slightly worrying

Am I excessively heteronormative or does the Register team have a tendency to see bottoms everywhere?

Um... number 2?

1. adrianww

Heh, heh, heh, "bottoms", "number 2", heh, heh, heh...

(Damn - where's a minion icon when you need one?)

1. Crisp

Nice one Beavis!

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

You're looking at the wrong end: http://regmedia.co.uk/2014/12/12/distant_spaceport_big.jpg

1. Captain DaFt

"You're looking at the wrong end: http://regmedia.co.uk/2014/12/12/distant_spaceport_big.jpg"

Looks like the 'Deal with it' shades to me.

3. Graham Marsden
      Gimp

You are obviously looking at it wrong!

4. Simon Harris
      Joke

Re: Buttocks...

So while Virgin will only be going sub-orbital for the moment...

3D Robotics is going all the way to Uranus.

2. ISYS
    Happy

3DR Solo

Dear Santa....

1. Brandon 2
      Thumb Up

Re: 3DR Solo

Having just DIY'd a quadcopter of roughly the same size, here are some rough maths...

Frame kit: $100

Motors: $120

Battery: $30

Flight controller (Naze 32): $40

Camera gimbal: $120

Props: $20

ESCs: $100

Radio transmitter, reciever, and GoPro not included... a DIY kit comes in at around $500'ish, with shipping, etc. So, $1000 for an almost ready to fly kit, really is not that bad... and the flight controller in my kit is not nearly as sophisticated (or expensive) as the pixhawk. The naze 32 is more than enough for simply flying a go-pro-gimbal around. If you want autonomous mapping, yeah, the pixhawk is great... but also $200. Apples to apples, you save about $350 building it yourself.

TL;DR, 3DR drone is good deal if you don't like building these things yourself.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drones may become a problem.

Personally, I'm with XKCD when it comes to an answer to the privacy and security problems a drone can pose.

Maybe time to invest in some targeting gear, or clay pigeon shooting kit for plausible deniability :).

4. Zot
    Happy

Because...

...saying 'shapely space *Uterus' would probably be a mistake for a family site.

*Or similar area of common slang usage.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Because...

Exactly.

5. JamesPond

Wedding pics

I'm actually thinking of purchasing a DJI Phantom 3 Pro for a wedding I'm attending later in the year, need to see the specs of the Solo to see how competitive on tech it is. Does anyone have any opinions? (I'm sure you have opinions, I was meaning Phatom3 vs Solo).

1. Anonymous Custard
      Joke

Re: Wedding pics

Would make a novel change from a toaster or set of towels I suppose.

Not sure the Bride may approve though, although would probably get the Groom's vote...

1. JamesPond

Ha ha.. I was thinking of taking video / panorama pics outside and getting them professionally printed as the wedding gift. Purchased wedding gifts have been banned by the bride, she'd rather we spent the money on enjoying ourselves at the wedding, ie. getting drunk, which is quite a refreshing idea.

1. Sureo

Re: Wedding pics ... getting drunk

Sure, get drunk, then fly your drone around and take pictures.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

IMHO flying a drone over or very near a crowd of people is a big NO! DON'T. (And I'd punch anyone trying it). Getting a higher vantage point from a "camera on a boom" would probably work well enough but gives a lot lower chance of someone taking a rotorblade to the face.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

From my far from expert opinion there is not much difference in tech. The solo seems to have a slight edge mostly in terms of programming and software, simply by being of a newer design and using the latest Pixhawk. I do however also have some reservations about some of the (over)promised things in the kickstarter like LiDAR an a ballistic parachute system. Both of which seem to me like enormous weight penalties with a payback for only some people.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Function

So is the function of the building to allow a gigantic ship the shape of a truck trailer to clip in?

7. Alex Walsh

Hope that's a poor thought our press mock up picture (the one with the dotted lines) as I'd like my GoPro in some sort of protective housing...

1. imanidiot Silver badge

It's probably possible to mount the gopro in its watertight housing. Other than that it's not usual to mount it in some sort of dome. It is VERY hard and VERY expensive to make a dome or something that is clear enough not to impact video quality, doesn't give a lot of extra reflections and flare, etc.

8. Chris G

Lady parts

The hangar looks like one of Zahar Hadid's designs she has a penchant for organic looking architecture such as the Qatar Football stadium (http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/nov/28/zaha-hadid-stadiums-vagina) but apparently Foster& Partners built it so they must have similar interests.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lady parts

Green inside and lit up? Some people have the strangest fantasies.

1. Anonymous Custard
        Joke

Re: Lady parts

Sounds like Miss Piggy...

9. Zebo-the-Fat

Did the photo really say it had 880 KV motors? 880 thousand volts, what kind of battery has it got? (I want one!)

1. Johndoe888

http://www.flyelectric.com/ans.kv.html

Quote ~ "KV as we use it refers to the rpm constant of a motor - it is the number of revolutions per minute that the motor will turn when 1V (one Volt) is applied with no load attached to the motor. In summary, we call it revs per volt - but do not think you will obtain those revs when you attach a propeller; obviously the revs will be reduced because of the load.

I have seen this aspect of a motor referred to as KV and Kv and kv - just be sure not confuse it with kV which stands for a kilo-volt."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like