back to article Google to extend rogue Chrome add-on ban to OS X

If you use Windows, you can forget about installing Chrome extensions from sites other than Google's store, effective immediately – even if you're a web developer. And the same will soon be true for Mac users, too. When the Chocolate Factory originally clamped down on "foreign" extensions in the Windows version of its browser …

1. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Cost-Benefit Analysis

Stealing a page from Apple? The move looks good in terms of bringing malware to heel, but will Google also ban extensions involving ad blocking, anonymization or anything they perceive might interfere with their collecting a buck from advertising? For Google, this is a good deal. For people who use their product, it will probably work out to be more of a mixed bag.

1. Dana W

Re: Cost-Benefit Analysis

Hardly, I run Firefox on my Macs, and I run any ad-on's I like. Bets the first thing that ad king Google blocks is all add blockers?

Glad I never fell for this mania for Chrome.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As an OSX user..

.. I keep anything Google far away from my machine. And Adobe.

This has some annoying consequences, though. Because my /private/etc/hosts file excludes google ads and doubleclick tracking, anything I look up on Google needs the URL stripped of all the tracking before it becomes usable. I must see if there isn't anything I can do about that.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: As an OSX user..

Run a reverse proxy with some rewrite rules - and point your hosts file to that rather than the goomachine?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That would indeed be a good idea if I didn't travel so much. I need everything contained in the laptop.

Having said that, I use mostly DuckDuckGo which doesn't create such problems :).

1. Sebby

Well of course, once the ban comes into effect, one option you might have is AdBlock for Chrome which is, at least for now, on the Chrome Web Store.

Google has the power to revoke such blockers. If they do, there's nothing to recommend Chrome.

1. JohnnyGStrings

If Google make it impossible to install ad blocking and script blocking plugins, they have made it impossible for me to continue using Chrome.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Firefox has an add-on called Clean Links which does just that.

I assume you use Firefox as Chrome is by Google and all.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

How does this effect Chromium

and the like of Iron?

The whole reason for these is to avoid Google, so become mute if you are forced to use a tracked Google account to get the stuff to stop you being tracked.

1. Old Handle
      Happy

Re: How does this effect Chromium

According to wikipedia's page on Chromium, the add-on restriction is one of the things Google inserts before turning Chromium into Chrome. So the other browsers based on it should be unaffected.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like