back to article What the BLEEP? BitTorrent's secure messaging app arrives

BitTorrent has released its secure messaging app to world+dog, and given it the name “Bleep”. Bleep can now be had for iThings, Android, Windows and Mac OS. The app promises server-less, peer-to-peer, text or voice communications. The outfit says “we keep messages and the encryption keys for images stored on your local device …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. PleebSmash
      WTF?

I don't see how a screen grab defeater is possible. If it reaches the user's eyes in a non-fuzzy or readable form, it can surely be captured in some way (without the analogue hole, even).

1. Charles 9

Indeed, there's a driver called DFMirage which works as a low-level display hook. It can be used in combination with the TightVNC fork to improve host performance. And of course there's always cameras. How does BLEEP intend to defeat stuff like that?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. DropBear

"I don't see how a screen grab defeater is possible."

I do. What if not all text is present on the screen at any given moment - ie. it's 4-5 or more partial screens flashed in quick succession, leaving the task of integrating the image to your eyes? Any screen grab would only capture a fraction of the full message, in the form of randomly littered letters (you might still be able to video it with another phone, but hey, it's still progress...)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Easily defeated with repeated screen grabs, which are de rigeur for a screen-cam.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll stick with TextSecure, thanks!

I don't see why I would trust a closed-source app for security. It's like installing a safe and declaring it to be completely secure without being able to see the back (and all the holes that might be there).

1. Greg D

Re: I'll stick with TextSecure, thanks!

I question the analogy - you can buy a safe, see the back and still not know what holes are there, as the safe design is closed source.

3. Graeme Sutherland
    Thumb Up

Works well

I can't comment about the security aspects, as that's not my speciality, but the app itself does what it says on the tin.

I just set up a trans-Pacific call to my brother, who gave me the heads up an hour ago, and the quality was better than phone or Skype.

I know this is the Reg, and we're a bunch of grumpy, cynical buggers. But it seems to work well, and it's free. So I can't complain too much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Works well

If something's "free", and the supplier's not a charity, then it's generally wise to at least be sceptical.

1. frank ly

@Credas Re: Works well

Stay away from Linux; it's too good to be true.

1. Shane8

Re: @Credas Works well

(non trolling) the same might be said about Windows 10...

1. P. Lee

non-trolling=on

Also, its only a foil for warrantless snooping. Those idevices, gdevices and most people's pc too are susceptible to invasion by motivated and resourced parties.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

I would have said almost exactly the opposite.

(OK, it a fair cop, I just after votes.)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And, knowing BitTorrent Inc., it probably comes complete with malware and bitcoin mining technology.

Thanks, but no thanks.

5. Elmer Phud
    Black Helicopters

"BitTorrent reckons the time is right for Bleep"

Considering the recent announcement from Aunty Theresa, not a moment too soon.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

keeps keys on the device....

But Google and Apple back everything on your phone up to their servers - including all your passwords and encryption keys.

1. jaduncan

Re: keeps keys on the device....

"But Google and Apple back everything on your phone up to their servers - including all your passwords and encryption keys."

Set against that, no they don't.

7. batfastad
    Black Helicopters

Hey

Hey everyone, here's a new secure messaging app. Can everyone switch to it for us please? No you can't read the code.

And while you're at it, do us a favour and store all your passwords on lastpass for us will you?

Cheers

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Scum leading the Dumb

If you believe that the data can't be intercepted and read then I have some ocean front property in Arizona that you would be interested in. We can take the mid-night fly over for you to observe.

9. tomtomtomtom

For Linux, there is Ring (formerly SFLphone) which supports SIP protocol. Recently they released first alpha that uses also DHT like Bittorrent. Fully open source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SFLphone

https://elv13.wordpress.com/2015/05/07/announcing-ring-a-distributed-and-secure-multimedia-communication-platform/

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For Linux, there is Ring (formerly SFLphone) which supports SIP protocol. Recently they released first alpha that uses also DHT like Bittorrent. Fully open source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SFLphone

https://elv13.wordpress.com/2015/05/07/announcing-ring-a-distributed-and-secure-multimedia-communication-platform/

1. herman

Ring sounds pretty good actually. Now I just need to get everyone and his dog to switch from Skype...

11. -v(o.o)v-

Just what the world needs: another closed source chat app with closed spec and not interoperable. No thanks, I won't be installing yet another chat app.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon