back to article Backwaters in rural England getting non-BT gigabit broadband

Rural English villages that almost nobody has heard of are set to receive broadband connections that are nearly fifty times faster than the national average. Baywood, Wooton, Dry, Sunningwell, Boars Hill and others will benefit from infrastructure being rolled out by small telco Gigaclear, which is laying fibre to the premises …

1. Haku

Gigabit home internet? Crikey!

I have trouble saturating my 76mbit connection for more than a few minutes at a time, what possibilities does a gigabit home internet bring?

1. sysconfig

Re: Gigabit home internet? Crikey!

You're right, Average Joe most definitely doesn't need it. It's interesting though that a small ISP shows BT that it can be done. Question is how profitable that is, because if it's not generating any money for the ISP, this new shiny super-fast broadband service might be a very temporary offering.

2. Tom 38

I have gigabit, I have trouble saturating for more than a few seconds at a time, but saturating it is not the point - I can stream content at decent bitrates from home to my mobile devices (well, when Three play ball), I can play video games without worrying about any latency issues at all (1ms ping ftw), and cancelled my "hobby" colo box and replaced it with a small box in a cupboard.

I have lower latency to $JOBs colo than I do when I am actually at $JOB. I can video conference with 8+ people in HD without having the annoying dropouts that others do, and all of this means that I can spend more time working from home, since I only have to go in to $JOB when I have face-to-face meetings.

BT actually wired and lit my flat for FTTP, but their FTTP offerings are lame lame lame - artificially asynchronous and limited to 300Mb/30Mb, when what comes in to the Openreach box is 1.2Gbps. Plus, it is (was?) £15 more a month.

1. TheOtherHobbes

It translates to "Internet that just works" - multiple video, music streaming, games, Skype/Facetime/Whatever, small business home hosting if you're that way inclined, all working at the same time without congestion.

And most people won't use anything close to the full speed limit, so it should stay robust for a while.

Where I live BT and the local council are only just getting around to considering the fact they don't want to upgrade the village from the current <1.5MBps "broadband" because greed and stupidity.

So if this telco-in-waiting wants to expand south and west a bit, they'll find a lot of customers.

1. Still Water

Yup - that's exactly it. You don't really notice it's there - everything just works as it should.

Same issue with our local council here as well (preferred to stay with BT for some unknown reason), until it was pointed out that half the village would be put at a disadvantage, and they changed their mind. Other local councils are the same - often because they just don't understand why people would need more than a few hundred kbits to read email...).

FWIW, there is at least one location I know of where the *residents* refused to let the installers come into their (non-private!) close because they didn't want the road dug up. The 4xconnection pots got installed at the end of the road, up to 40m from the houses they are supposed to serve and they carried on! Their loss!

3. NoneSuch Silver badge

Bloody marvelous. That'll motivate the rest.

4. Robot Overlord

Given the choice between too much and too little I'd happily pay the extra few quid a month for much, much too much.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Isn't this in David Cameron's neck of the woods?

Subject says it all.

1. IHateWearingATie

Re: Isn't this in David Cameron's neck of the woods?

No. His constiuency is Witney, and I don't think the list of villages are covered by his constituency. I know some of the villages and they are very small and very wealthy. Seems perfect for FTTP.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, are you suggesting that they are installing it around Chipping Norton but not in it because they hate the Tories or because David got his mates easy access?

1. death&taxes

Really, how long would it have taken for you to check whether these areas are 'around Chipping Norton' (they're not).

Silly cliched blather.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Silly cliched blather."

What did you expect from a cat?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cameron's upgrade was a couple of years ago

Cameron had an upgrade a couple of years back, though some of your downvoters and naysayers apparently may not have noticed:

"More than 3,300 Chipping Norton homes and businesses to benefit from BT’s £2.5 billion roll-out

Prime Minister David Cameron today welcomed the arrival of high-speed fibre broadband in the Oxfordshire village of Chipping Norton, which falls within his Witney constituency.

The sophisticated technology is now available to more than 2,600 Chipping Norton households and firms – and this will increase to more than 3,300 premises as engineers complete the local investment in the coming weeks. Chipping Norton is the 19th Oxfordshire exchange to be upgraded and the third in the Prime Minister’s constituency. Witney and Carterton were enabled last year."

[continues]

21 May 2013

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/ShowArticle.cfm?ArticleID=78973A16-0FBA-40B4-BA4E-FB6109572671

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not totally free of the big guys

Gigaclear still need to connect to the big guys fibre backbones!

Anon (stuck in a village that had its Gigaclear fibre installed to the homes months ago, but still has no connection to a fibre backbone, after the multinational company that was planned to be used, refused the order at the last moment.)

1. Mark 65

Re: Not totally free of the big guys

Speaking of which the following line popped out...

Links from the Gigaclear cabinets to the backbone are 10Gb

I may be missing something but there'd presumably be a fair few customer lines headed into a cabinet hence I get the distinct impression they'd be desperately hoping people "buy but don't use" when it comes to those gigabit connections.

4. M7S

@ Sysconfig: Is the reason for the Gigabit....

....that higher speeds will lead to less conflicts, and therefore they can have a higher contention ratio (and ROI) without upsetting the customers?

I don't pretend to know the economics of being an ISP but it might be for practical reasons rather than to assauge the vanity of potential customers. I'd be interested to learn the informed views of others.

1. theblackhand

Re: @ Sysconfig: Is the reason for the Gigabit....

My guess is that they are offering gigabit because:

a) the fibre they are using supports it

b) they can easily get cost effective equipment that supports gigabit and reduces the need to roll out an upgrade in a few years

c) they can manage bandwidth usage via configuration

I don't believe there would be any significant cost or scalability difference between fast ethernet and gigabit ethernet at this point in time. Contention will be handled at the interconnect points with other ISP's rather than at the customer or local exchange level (assuming local exchange traffic is less than 10GbE or a multiple of that.

5. Spaceman Spiff

If I wanted...

If I wanted to live outside of the city and raise my kids in a safe environment, yet I wanted to have an internet business, this would be the deciding factor for me!

1. Tom 7

Re: If I wanted...

Sell city property, move to country, use internet 'at will', realise profit from house exchange means you dont have to work...

6. nowster

Sheep may safely browse

"Sheep don't use modems"

– Cliff Stanford (then running Demon Internet) early 1994.

1. Haku

Re: Sheep may safely browse

But back then Demon did have a COW (Center Of World router) called Ermintrude, which then split into two COWs as Demon grew, one called Ermin and the other called Trude.

/useless fact of the day

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Coat

Re: Sheep may safely browse

They owned Tucows? Who knew.

7. phuzz Silver badge

While GB is very nice, my parents (who live over the border in Gloucestershire) don't need anything like that much bandwidth.

On the other hand they could really do with more than the 800kB/s they currently get. If only there was a middle ground...

1. Haku

High broadband speed areas are very patchy, I'm in Gloucestershire and I get the full rate out of a BT Infinity 2 connection, but a couple of roads over and the houses there have no Infinity so struggle to get even 5mbit ADSL.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GB speed

Yes, it's capable of 1GB, but you can start with packages from 50Mbps - and note that the whole service is symmetrical. In my sleepy hollow most people have gone for 50Mbps, but the companies have gone for faster.

9. JP19

Gbit perspective

Plusnet publish some usage stats.

Yesterday the peak download bandwidth they supplied was 130 Gbit shared between 843k users.

10. Still Water

I live in one of the villages with Gigaclear and have the 50MBit package. The offering of GB connections is largely pointless (though I know some who are taking it to do hosting at home...) but the point is that Gigaclear have come along and offered a connection which is better than BT could ever do, especially since in places, BT have ruled they won't do the upgrade to 21CN in the near future (in our case only half the village would get it...).

Having previously had a copper ADSL with speedtests down in the 600Kbits (above the 500kb threshold that Openreach set for action...) the guarantee of reliable broadband at acceptable speed is a no-brainer for many, even if they don't *need* 50MB...

And yes, several of the villages are in the Witney constiuency, but Gigaclear started off over the Thames in Blackwood's constituency, and also have extended into other areas. Around here there is much high tech industry (motorsport, science, 2 large Universities, etc) and lots of people who commute to London who can effectively take advantage of home working - this might seem like a good demographic to sell to, no?

I throughly recommend it if you have the option - and as a bonus I now have no services offered over BT provided infrastructure :)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Ashton Black

Excellent!

This is great news. I only hope they'll come to rural Somerset. Well done those chaps!

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: Excellent!

My hope too. Still waiting for anything above 5Mbps where I am in Somerset!

12. Fergus Gallagher

*SOBS* Gigaclear want £12,000 to connect me up.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Bargain...sign me up.

13. wyatt

I wonder if they'd do my area in Birmingham as BT don't want to?

14. HarryCoatbean

Gigabit home internet? Crikey!

Having read the comments to this I guess you all live in citys.

I live in rural Lancashire and I get 2megs max (with no hope of upgrade, not enough population to wire us up ) from BT , with the increased bandwidth requirements from the www this is getting increasingly useless.

Luckily there is a project called BAR4N which is community based project to wire up the the villages in this area with fibre.

So I have a choice 1 gigabit or 2 meg !

BTW what is this 3G that people have been talking about for so long ?

15. Pete4000uk

Could they not run a fibre connection to a small village and share the GB connection between groups of people willing to chip in?

Fibre to the cabinate type thing or even coax to bring in more customers. Lots of possibilities beyong FTTP

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The problem with rural broadband is economic, not technical.

If you price it to make a commercial return, no-one can afford it. You go bust.

If you price it affordably (under cost) then;

-If you're a commercial enterprise, no-one will lend you the money to do it. You go bust.

-If you're a not for profit, no-one will lend you the money to do it. You go bust.

-If you're a regulated telco, you'll be breaking the law on monopolistic behaviour. You go to prison.

The only two models that can work are some kind of community enterprise funded by an angel investor, or a commercial enterprise with government subsidy.

Nothing else works because the price people are willing to pay for fast broadband is lower than the cost of providing it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And thats exactly what Gigaclear is

community involvement with Woodford investment. Are you Matthew Hare??

16. Alerr

I too am one of the Gigalcear villages in Oxfordshire.

Firstly a correction to some of the Village names in the report about to be connected: It's Bayworth rather than Baywood and Dry Sandford rather than just Dry.

The service is excellent - it just works, everyone gets full speed all the time with full FTTP. It is a symmetrical service and you can buy either a 50/50, a 100/100 or a 200/200 service as well as the 1000/1000 service.

As some of you may know, Gigaclear works though the local community. If it gets 30% of the residences to sign up to them they will build the network in the village and put a connection pot in for each and every house regardless at the front land boundary. If they don't get the 30% then they go elsewhere.

The community does a lot of the marketing work themselves. Gigaclear encourage a local committee to be set up to spread the word, write articles in local newsletters, distribute leaflets - help out at GC organised open days, and endlessly explain etc.

Also help out sorting out who owns what land, contacting landowners so that the cheapest route for the fibre cabling can be used, helping out siting of the village cabinet etc. It is actually a lot of work - I know - was on the local committee and it requires people to actually do things and attend regular meetings which have defined actions.

Getting the 30% is much more difficult then you might expect. Yes, readers of this forum and other techies will sign up like yesterday but many people simply have other more urgent things in their lives to be bothered about than broadband. You also need to factor in that a fair number of people do not want their verges and gardens dug up for FTTP - this is a far bigger factor than you might think.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its all fine and well

Go for it, if you trust that a small startup can support your home connection 24x7.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like